Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Digital Camera Recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Digital Camera Recommendations

Hey y'all,

I'm thinking of getting a new digicam to replace my 2 year old Canon 890 (10 MP). It's been a good camera, but only shoots video at 30 fps and (IIRC) 480p and I want better than that now. I want HD clarity and the option to record at high frames/second.

I'm looking for a standard size point and shoot style, not necessarily an SLR. Price range is up to $300 or so. It will be used for stills and videos, but I'm having a hard time finding something that will meet my needs....which are:

- HD video capability in high resolution (1080p or so) and at least 30 frames/second.
- 60 fps. Lower resolution is okay, but want as high as possible.
- Lithium-ion
- At least 4x (preferably 5x) zoom.
- I'd also like a wide angle, but don't know how the numbers correlate.

If I didn't care about 60 fps video, I'd be golden. But adding that criteria really seems to kill off all contenders near my price range. I see that some companies make high res/high fps cameras that are cheap, but they don't take stills and have limited focal range. Nonetheless, I would consider having two cameras (one dedicated to high res/high fps video), but I'd really prefer it in one package.

Does anyone know of a camera that meets my criteria or at least comes close?? I'm no camera expert by ANY means, so please feel free to offer your suggestions/recommendations. I still don't understand what makes an image "HD" compared to simply a higher resolution, for instance.

Thanks!
Tommy
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Maybe the Canon S95 or G12. Not sure how cheap you can find them though. More than likely you are looking at >$300 to get the features you want. Or another option is to get something like a Flip HD for $150 or less. It does video at 720p @30fps. Of course you would have to also tote around a separate camera. Just a thought.

Last edited by Nubster; 11-30-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Something to remember... just because a camera can shoot at 60fps doesn't mean its what to get. If you can adjust the shutter speed you can slow down the footage pretty good and still keep it moving smoothly.

I'd start with your budget... then work from there.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for chiming in, Brett... So maybe you can help me out since I know very little about cameras, much less videography and such.

I'm sure you could write for days on the topic, but what kind of features should I look for? Can you give me a condensed version of the novel that would normally follow such a question? Or maybe you know of a "Dummy's Guide to Photography & Video" on teh intarwebs somewhere?

I just want to be able to take clear, crisp, high res pics and videos. Ideally, I'd be able to get some great slow motion video, too. And for <$300, please.

Thanks!
Tommy
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
~THE SCALE SHOP~

canon>*

and you can spend weeks researching still photo/cameras and only touch the tip of the ice burg. its rediculous.

also be carefull when searching for 60fps. there is 60 frames per second, and 60 fields per second. different things.

on a side note, i recently added a gopro to my camera bag for my 60fps needs. holy smokes i didnt realize how tiny those things were. cant deny there vid quality though. but they do fit your budget and do take still but not what your after. and its got that blasted fisheye lens and no zoom either.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
LR3
Rock Crawler

Nikon Coolpix L110. 12 megapixles, 15x zoom, 720p HD filming. Samples of pics it can take(taken by me):

example of HD movies it can make:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVAYowR42ls

Price: 350.00$, that prce includes a 4mb Memory Chip too
LR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Hey LR3..I was looking at the Nikon S8100 when I saw the L110. ITs in the same price range, the only difference I can see is Zoom and size...at first glance that is, will look into more. How is the battery life on the L110. We are going on a trip and it is once again time to upgrade cameras...bought a miniDVD cam corder and found it very scarry when I dropped a blank disk right outside of Big Ben in London..could of been the disk we had in the Louvre...........so, any suggestions on a compact (well kinda) cameras. Do know I want min 12 mP and it has to shoot at least 720p vid and be user friendly, the wife likes just point and click. Pics vary from low light to outside motion and a mix of all...ohh and min of 10x zoom.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
LR3
Rock Crawler

The L110 takes 4 double A batteries. The life on it for mine was about half a week to a week. It is a fantastic camera. It shoots 720p HD film, and 12.1 megapixles with a 15x optical zoom. It is easy to use and well worth the money
LR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
RCC Addict

There are good video cameras and there are good still cameras. Never are they in the same body.

I have a Canon S95 as my point and shoot. HD video quality is... ok. I shoot stills 90% of the time so it was not a large concern of mine when buying. The stills from it are amazing. Best pocket shooter I have ever used.

Photo sample from the S95 (of my real camera....)

D90_TPF7 by Matt Francosky, on Flickr

IMG_0666ww by Matt Francosky, on Flickr

Whoever said researching camera gear is an endless task was spot on. By the time you zero in on what you want to get, better shit is already out.

Good Luck.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote