Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Gulf Coast clean up?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
Who's your Daddy-0!

Default Gulf Coast clean up?

Have any of you guys thought about taking a week off and going down to do some clean up? Me and the wife have been talking about it for a while now. The more we watch about it and the damage it's doing it's just crazy. The older I get the more this kind of stuff really matters to me and makes me want to do something to help out. If any of you are thinking about taking a trip down let me know. The more volunteers to help with the mess the better for everyone.

If your a member that lives on the coast there post some picts up. I want to see picts that didn't come from the media.
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2010, 04:26 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I"ll soon be un employed. Too bad it's not a paying job. Either way, if I could I would.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Have you looked into what it would take to help? Would a person just show up with a shovel, or is there an organization that coordinates this
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
Have any of you guys thought about taking a week off and going down to do some clean up? Me and the wife have been talking about it for a while now. The more we watch about it and the damage it's doing it's just crazy. The older I get the more this kind of stuff really matters to me and makes me want to do something to help out. If any of you are thinking about taking a trip down let me know. The more volunteers to help with the mess the better for everyone.

If your a member that lives on the coast there post some picts up. I want to see picts that didn't come from the media.

Might want to put that trip on hold for a bit Kenny. This spill was played up to be an environmental disaster of biblical proportions to further the agenda of the left and made everyone think that the gulf was swimming in oil and that gulf beaches were awash in crude.

We were told it could be decades before the gulf region returned to normal, but after reading a some articles and seeing some pics from the region, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Now scientists now say that much of the leaked oil is disappearing on its own.

Scientist have pointed out that much of the oil would either evaporate, or likely be eaten by microorganisms and eventually absorbed into the food chain of the Gulf.

From Yahoo:

On Wednesday, July 28, Yahoo News reported that the oil slicks that spread for thousands of miles have “largely disappeared” with relatively little washing up on beaches.

On Monday, ABC News reported that the biggest challenge for cleanup crews lately is to find oil. ABC looked but could find no oil on the water.

The New York Times reported on Tuesday that reporters who flew over the Gulf on Sunday spotted only a few patches of sheen in the water and only “an occasional streak of thicker oil.” The Times also noted that radar images show that the few remaining patches of oil are breaking down quickly in the warm water.

Yahoo reports that as much as 40 percent of the oil might have evaporated when it hit the surface and that high winds from recent storms may have sped up that process. But the biggest cause for the oil’s disappearance may be as the result of it being eaten up by microbes.

Those microbes thrive in the warm Gulf waters, which is why, experts say, a similar effect was not noticed after the Exxon Valdez disaster. The controversial dispersants may have helped by breaking up the oil into a form more palatable to the bacteria and fungi that feed on the oil.
Louisiana State University biologist Ed Overton told the Christian Science Monitor earlier this week, “"To bacteria, this oil spill is filet mignon, not chopped beef."

Because the ocean floor naturally leaks oil, the oil-eating bugs have always been there. But now it appears that they are in the midst of a feeding frenzy.

University of Georgia geochemist tells Yahoo News that oxygen levels in parts of the Gulf have dropped, an indication that the microbes may be hard at work eating. They use oxygen to eat the oil.

Although 4,000 boats are involved in the oil skimming operation, they are expected to only pick up about 1 or 2 percent of the oil.

Despite the improved conditions in the Gulf, scientists say it is too early to celebrate. More time is needed before the full impact of the spill can be calculated.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Scientist have pointed out that much of the oil would either evaporate, or likely be eaten by microorganisms and eventually absorbed into the food chain of the Gulf.
Yummy.

JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Filet mignon baby!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

People need to also take into account that this was a 'leak' from the bottom of the ocean, 1 mile down, and not a 'spill' on top of the water.

SS
salmonshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #8
dkf
Rock Crawler

They are talking about possibly opening the gulf area to fishing again within a week or so.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonshark View Post
People need to also take into account that this was a 'leak' from the bottom of the ocean, 1 mile down, and not a 'spill' on top of the water.

SS
Oil is lighter than water---do the math
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Oil is lighter than water---do the math
A mile down, I believe emulsification can take place by the time it would reach the surface with all the currents and everything, thus breaking it down smaller.

SS
salmonshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

No big deal the oils disappearing on it's own don't bother cleaning it up. Look at Valdez...
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:59 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I heard that shrimpin season could open up soon. Mmmm, Gulf shrimp! I heard on the news here that some of the globs washing up on beaches were analyzed and found NOT to be coming from the leak. Granted there might be another leaky well elsewhere but there is also natural seepage. Water is natures solvent. Give it a little time and you won't even notice. Just like the grease under your nails that is gone after spending a weak on the lake! Couple hurricanes and it'll be good as new!
Sydwaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #13
RCC Addict

THere is more oil than you think still in the Gulf. It will take months or more to clean up the oil but years for things to return to the way they were before.

Kenny, as far as volunteering there are groups doing that to help with cleaning the animals but the other is being done by contractors working for BP.
mississippirocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:17 PM   #14
Donkey Punch Champion!

Spin this one up...

The local news did a little research and came out with an "investigative report".

Basically it said, BP has the right to "write off 50% of the 40 million" as a tax loss. This means $20 million of THERE problem is now US TAX PAYERS problem. Yes, the US Government demanded $40 million into an account to help in the relief effort. Yet those same "wonderful" people also decided a little while before this that 50% of such a loss could be written off on US taxes. Government!!

Best line is from Tony Fawkface (BP douche)...US citizens will pay 0 for our mess. Really Tony? Wonder why you are really stepping down.

FAWK THIS COUNTRY IS GONE DOWNHILL. Dez, I'm agreeing with you again. Damn it.
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydwaiz View Post
Couple hurricanes and it'll be good as new!
Hopefully those hurricanes sweep through the gulf, skip Texas, NM, AZ and dump that oil in Cali...
Old 07-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Hopefully those hurricanes sweep through the gulf, skip Texas, NM, AZ and dump that oil in Cali...
I hope so too, maybe it'll wash some of the liberals out to sea.
But apparently you failed to see the sarcasm in my post and for that I apologize. I really do feel bad for the gulf coast, it's natural resources and it's people, and would definately go down to help if possible. My wife and I love the area and have been there several times and plan to go back soon. The last time we were there, we helped work on a Habitat for Humanity neighborhood just outside of Nola to help Katrina victims. So please don't think I don't give a shit. I really do.
Sydwaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiva View Post
Spin this one up...

The local news did a little research and came out with an "investigative report".

Basically it said, BP has the right to "write off 50% of the 40 million" as a tax loss. This means $20 million of THERE problem is now US TAX PAYERS problem. Yes, the US Government demanded $40 million into an account to help in the relief effort. Yet those same "wonderful" people also decided a little while before this that 50% of such a loss could be written off on US taxes. Government!!

Best line is from Tony Fawkface (BP douche)...US citizens will pay 0 for our mess. Really Tony? Wonder why you are really stepping down.

So basically your saying the ones that care wont mind. The ones who dont will.

Kenny is willing to drive down & physically help out. Do you think if there was a big donatation going around he would not chip in?? Thats pretty much what youre talking about.

Although I dont agree with the govt forcing this on people I dont at the same time think its a bad thing.

We as a country should help our fellow man.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Seeing as someone close to that area says it's bad, I'm going with that, not what yahoo news says... I think that's cool that tou want to help Kenny.

I don't know if any of you watch Billy the Exterminator, but he went down there in his most recent episode. For those who say it's nothing to worry about should check that out. Towards the end is when it really hits you, they find just a small patch of THICK oil on the water....it's bad.
NoobCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiva View Post
Spin this one up...

so even when this company's head quarters are based out of Great Brittan, they get a tax credit through the US? how the hell is that possible... anyone else notice the 20cent gas price jump in the last few days? seems like we re starting to pay for it
robbio4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydwaiz View Post
But apparently you failed to see the sarcasm in my post and for that I apologize.
You're right, I did. Sorry...