Notices

Thread: BMW M3 Pickup....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post
I'd be all over a small diesel pickup.
They've also been talking about a diesel option for the (American) Ranger for almost as long as they've been talking about the ranger going away. A 4-banger diesel is an option on the Ranger in Europe - I know a couple guys over there who have them.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

How many different ways can we make the same car different?
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #23
RCC Addict

you know about a year and a half ago i spotted 2 of those bmw pickups around the los angeles and montclair area both were white and one was a standard cab like the picture the other was a 4 door and have never been able to find pics or info about them. they had the kidney grill and bmw badges along with manufacture plates
rcjunky3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I've been hearing "the Ranger is going away!" since 2005. And it keeps coming back, quietly.

The new F-150 actually gets better mileage, but only because the Ranger's engine line-up hasn't had much love. They could get a big mileage boost if they'd add direct injection to the old Pinto engine, or bring in the diesel they sell in Mexico.

exactly..
they keep sayin sales are declining..
well no shit theyve been making it the exact same for almost 20 years

hell they already make kick ass diesel rangers they just dont bring em here caus they must think were stupid.
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

at 1 point the ranger was to end after the 2012 model year and be replaced by the f100 which would be powered by either the eco boost 6cyl or a 4cyl diesel. That was before the other manufactures killed their small truck programs,

Go down to Mexico and the El Camino trucks are running around everywhere. A few years ago when in Cancun I asked a guy why he had that instead of a truck... He has pretty sound reasoning, it got 30mpg, rode like a car and could do everything his old truck did. Prolly go to any country that isnt the US and you will see plenty of them.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #26
Try to Bend it

I think I looks pretty cool but we do like utes down here.

this is how the HSV Maloo look before they gave it the stupid Pontiac twist.

Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

We still have a UTE available here in the U.S., it's only available as a crew cab...

Personally, I just keep buying a Camry and keep a 20 year old truck around for utility use.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiztid Metal View Post
TOO bad PONTIAC wasnt still around, YOU DAMN HONDA, SAAB, TOYOTA, NISSAN Driving pricks.
LMAO you realize SAAB was owned by GM and left then sold after they Killed Pontiac.

If you domestic buyers think the foreign cars are killing the american companies you are wrong. The domestics sat on their high chairs too long just thinking they were the best never thinking or analyzing the threats. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered...
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #29
I joined the Band!

Until the big three get free from the oil companies control nothing is gonna change. Diesel is a buy product of gas and they make plenty off of it from the trucking industry and aircraft. They need to sell gasoline in america to offset the diesel need. I am a hardcore buy american guy and it sickens that our government isnt behind us. This is starting to go a different direction but a bmw truck GAY and unnafordable to the common middle class american who supports the world.
nuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

last time i looked at gas prices, wasn't diesel more then gas ????....plus people i have talked to who own them they don't get much better mileage then regular gas.........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #31
I joined the Band!

Diesels get much better mileage under load plus that last much longer. Diesel is cheaper to make and the people using the most, shipping companies pass the extra expense on to us in everything we buy. Its the oil companies that keep diesels out of american small vehicles.
nuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I've been hearing "the Ranger is going away!" since 2005. And it keeps coming back, quietly.

The new F-150 actually gets better mileage, but only because the Ranger's engine line-up hasn't had much love. They could get a big mileage boost if they'd add direct injection to the old Pinto engine, or bring in the diesel they sell in Mexico.

The whole damn truck just won't die, isn't it still sharing the same cab from 93?
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:02 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

New taillights in '07 though That's how Detroit used to build everything. Roll out a new model, sell 'em with minor facelifts til the people stop buying. Look at the second-gen F-body ('70-81) or the Fox Mustang ('79-93). There's a lot of parts on the Ranger that go all the way back to '83 It's like driving a Morgan.

Typically it takes the Big 3 at least 6 years to get all the bugs out of a new model, so your domestic choices are a new model with bugs or an obsolete model that works. If you want a new model that works you have to buy Japanese.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:08 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
last time i looked at gas prices, wasn't diesel more then gas ????....plus people i have talked to who own them they don't get much better mileage then regular gas.........bob

My 4wd 4dr f250 with the 6.0l diesel gets 23mpg highway, my neighbor with the same yr truck just only 2 dr and with the v10 gets 8mpg on his best day. Sure I pay about 10 cents a gallon more but look at my milage boost. Plus Im burning bio fuels so Im driving a green vehicle
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:48 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckle View Post
Until the big three get free from the oil companies control nothing is gonna change. Diesel is a buy product of gas and they make plenty off of it from the trucking industry and aircraft.
Gasoline is actually a by-product of diesel and aviation fuel creation. They use demand and more than we do (hence their higher prices even though there are fewer additives and mandates). Supply vs Demand.

The issue of gas rising now is that we are using much more than we used to as a global economy and gasoline/oil supply is lowering based on our demand and therefore increasing price. Simple economics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckle View Post
Diesels get much better mileage under load plus that last much longer. Diesel is cheaper to make and the people using the most, shipping companies pass the extra expense on to us in everything we buy. It’s the oil companies that keep diesels out of american small vehicles.
Not true, look at the GM 350 diesel. Complete failure in power, torque, and engine longevity. Diesels when properly built can be highly efficient, but we have not seen the ultimate engineering in gasoline engines, I doubt they will compete as well, but it is what is accepted and that means easy to keep.

The main issues with US diesel adaptation are simple; not enough pumps and Americans are stupid enough to put regular gas in a diesel vehicle…not a fun or cheap thing to fix. They are doing it to protect themselves from Morons with lawyers, but in the end hurting those who can handle thinking.

Oil companies would be happy to sell more diesel…less stringent additives and testing (even for road fuels) than gasoline. Diesel engine oils are also extremely lax in certs/additives that gasoline has many many times the issues trying to make.

Quote:
New taillights in '07 though That's how Detroit used to build everything. Roll out a new model, sell 'em with minor facelifts til the people stop buying. Look at the second-gen F-body ('70-81) or the Fox Mustang ('79-93). There's a lot of parts on the Ranger that go all the way back to '83 It's like driving a Morgan.

Typically it takes the Big 3 at least 6 years to get all the bugs out of a new model, so your domestic choices are a new model with bugs or an obsolete model that works. If you want a new model that works you have to buy Japanese.
This post could not be more true. Exactly what the domestic makers did to themselves and just said “those crazy foreign cars will never work, who would want a major line change ever 3-6 years”.

Dodge Ram (when it was the least selling of the big 3 always) ran nearly unchanged from the early 70’s until the early 90’s. It wasn’t selling and they weren’t willing to work on it to try to turn those poor sales around.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post

Yes...and you must be talking to the wrong people. My mom's TDI Jetta gets 55mpg...and my dad's 7.3L gets 18mpg....dragging a 5500lb loaded trailer....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:52 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
The issue of gas rising now is that we are using much more than we used to as a global economy and gasoline/oil supply is lowering based on our demand and therefore increasing price. Simple economics.
Horse pucky. Oil prices go up because the heavy hitters want it to:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.p...xt=va&aid=8878

The oil itself has very little to do with the price of oil. Until 2006 this type of blatant price manipulation was illegal, then Dubya opened the door so the Wall Street types could fawk with the price and get rich. The only possibility of good news is that they'll fawk it up like they did with the housing bubble.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
Horse pucky. Oil prices go up because the heavy hitters want it to:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.p...xt=va&aid=8878

The oil itself has very little to do with the price of oil. Until 2006 this type of blatant price manipulation was illegal, then Dubya opened the door so the Wall Street types could fawk with the price and get rich. The only possibility of good news is that they'll fawk it up like they did with the housing bubble.
Actually the big change in energy trading came under the Clinton administration.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Yes...and you must be talking to the wrong people. My mom's TDI Jetta gets 55mpg...and my dad's 7.3L gets 18mpg....dragging a 5500lb loaded trailer....
This.
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote