Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Why not ship to Canada?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Why not ship to Canada?

I'm just curious as to why some US members won't ship to Canada...even though most of us are willing to pay the extra shipping cost. Not sure if its a lack of knowledge thing but us Canadians ship to the USA all the time.

As far as I understand, the only differences from domestic shipping and shipping across the border to Canada is the addition of a customs declaration label (value of package, description, gift/goods/other) and the extra cost in shipping. If the seller is concerned with the package getting lost then the buyer can just pay the extra $2 bucks for insurance. That's it. An extra label and extra cash which the buyer will pay. The box you ship it in doesn't even change.

I've heard some guys say they are worried the package will get stuck in customs. Stuck in customs for "radio controlled vehicle parts"? It's not like we're shipping Plutonium across the border here guys. I would like to think our hard earned tax dollars are going towards monitoring real dangers and not "rc parts". The worst I've seen them do was just open the box to verify the contents and tape it back up. And that only happens as often as you win the lottery jackpot.

So what other reasons are there? If someone is going to say, "Because I don't like Canada" just don't say it at all. I don't want to hear hate on hate comments on here. The USA has bigger issues than to worry about their quiet neighbor. We are secretly building the largest rail gun the world has ever seen. True story.

Personally I love the Americans and have no problems myself shipping to a fellow North American Free Trade country.

Just a sayin'
Evandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
20K Club

I will ship to Canada but I will charge more than just the extra shipping costs. My time is my most valuable thing, so having to instead go to the post office and fill out the forms is a pain in the ass. If it is possible to do it without going to the P.O. great but I haven't seen where yet. I find it much easier to say Cont US and just be done with it because I don't want the hastle.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

We have been lucky just send them a couple extra $$ and they will ship it over here.
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
cherry bomb

I havn't come across a transaction here on RCC where me being in Canada has been an issue. I understand I may have to pay a couple bucks more, And usually the seller and can I work something out.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

My parts seem to take longer to get to Canada than anywhere else on Earth. I have had a month go by and a customer still not get their parts so I sent more, eventually they will get both. I will still ship to Canada but may think about charging a little extra...ehh!
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
I'm a stupid C U N T!

I have had people piss and moan that I charge more to ship canada. I had refund my last sale when I got the shipping bill it was more then the sale of the Item and the buyer refused to pay extra...... If your willing to pay the difference then it's shouldn't matter, but there are some cheap bastards on rcc.
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Because it's a PIA to ship to Canada. My shipment just the other day got held up because the wanted more description. I had it down as "radio control car tires" for a 4 RC4WD flashpoints. Don't know any other way to describe that. Sometimes it's just not worth the hassle.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
No idea what I'm doing

I have no problems with shipping to Canada. However customs does seem pretty slow these days. I recently shipped two replacements like Rowdy did. The day after the second shipments left my hands, I got PM's saying the first box showed up.

I don't charge extra for my time either...customers everywhere are important to me, and I don't think it's right to charge money for me to fill out a simple piece of paper. Waiting in line at the post office sucks, but so does pooping in public places.

Whenever I ship anywhere, I always put down "Toy truck parts" in the description. Simple and to the point.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I don't mind shipping to Canada at all. I use USPS and it's actually cheaper to send something to Canada than to ship within the U.S.! I hear it takes 4 weeks or so to get there, but I'm not the one waiting. If you want it any faster, USPS charges $25 more.
Blazerbogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I will ship to Canada but I will charge more than just the extra shipping costs. My time is my most valuable thing, so having to instead go to the post office and fill out the forms is a pain in the ass. If it is possible to do it without going to the P.O. great but I haven't seen where yet. I find it much easier to say Cont US and just be done with it because I don't want the hastle.
I hear what you're saying Harley. Some of us ship more often than others. Whenever I ship, I always go to the P.O. but I rarely ship stuff out. So to me going to the P.O. isn't a big deal.
If there is anything I'd want to buy from you I have no problems paying the extra handling cost (within reason of course) because in the end, I'll most likely get it cheaper than buying it locally or from a big online retailer.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I have had 2 sellers on here who had flat out denied to ship to Canada. Luckily what I was looking for was plentiful from other sellers. It's just that my feelings get hurt.....

The US members on here who have shipped to me have been great. Just as nice as the Canadian guys eh?
Old 03-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d View Post
I have had people piss and moan that I charge more to ship canada. I had refund my last sale when I got the shipping bill it was more then the sale of the Item and the buyer refused to pay extra...... If your willing to pay the difference then it's shouldn't matter, but there are some cheap bastards on rcc.
Anything that goes across the border costs more. I don't know who these guys are who piss and moan but I don't represent them because I know it costs more because of fuel costs and handling. There's always someone who's going to gripe about any shipping whether it be international or domestic.
Damn those cheap bastards!
Old 03-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Common sense with regards to the description of the items shipped is key to a timely clearance through customs.

"Toy truck parts" gets the job done.

As soon as customs read the words "radio controlled" the red lights start flashing and the sirens go off!!!

Narly1

P.S. I have had 100% positive dealings with vendors on this forum.
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I've changed my mind over the years. I still hate shipping OS...
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #15
RCC Paint & Graphics

I've shipped to Canada quite a few times with no problems, and will continue to do so. Like stated above, it does take a little longer, sometimes up to two weeks but the customer usually understands that. I also charge a couple of bucks more to ship.
Rockthrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
Because it's a PIA to ship to Canada. My shipment just the other day got held up because the wanted more description. I had it down as "radio control car tires" for a 4 RC4WD flashpoints. Don't know any other way to describe that. Sometimes it's just not worth the hassle.

Sorry to hear that dude. Do what the guys in China do. Description: "Toy car parts" Never had them stuck in customs.

My wife laughs every time she sees "Toy car parts". It gets me so mad. Haha!
Old 03-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Thanks for the "toy car parts" suggestion. Will definitely use that next time. I was just trying to be as accurate as possible.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Sometimes it just isn't worth the aggravation of filling out the customs papers and figuring out shipping to sell a $20 or $30 rc car part.Something over $100 or more I would consider it.On small items the shipping can cost more than the part,just doesn't make sense.Shipping overseas is even worse.I recently sold some Tamiya Sand Scorcher parts on ebay,guy from England bought them.I attempted to ship via UPS and was shocked when the guy told me that to ship overseas was going to cost around $100!This was for a small box containing $40 in parts.I contacted the buyer and he wasn't willing to pay that much so we dissolved the deal.The UPS guy said I could try the PO and that it would be cheaper but they couldn't offer insurance on overseas items.Not sure if that is true?
jhtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

You would figure that canada has local hobby shops and for a decent price. Factor in DOUBLE shipping cost insurance ect ect.. you think you could make out better going to a local dealer??? They could get things faster probly and at cost..
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiztid Metal View Post
You would figure that canada has local hobby shops and for a decent price. Factor in DOUBLE shipping cost insurance ect ect.. you think you could make out better going to a local dealer??? They could get things faster probly and at cost..
We do get decent prices on some things at our LHS. But you can't beat someone selling dual FXR's shipped in the seller/buyer section here!
Stuff I've been looking for lately are Berg stuff like Super 300 CVD's, used VP wheels or Mayhem wheels...my LHS is like, "Super what?" "Vice President what?"....never mind. They know their shit when it comes to Axial, Tamiya, HPI, RC4wd, etc. But they don't carry the more obscure exotic stuff for a Berg. They don't even know what a Berg is.