Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Toy Guns and Real Guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Toy Guns and Real Guns

Parents who own guns, do you allow your kids to play with toy guns?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
Suck it up!

My son used to have a nearly complete toy gun arsenal. I don't own anything deadlier than a bb gun.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
Jer
Rock Crawler

I own, and my daughter is 2 so she isn't really interested in guns. My nephew from the time he was playing with them it was made clear that guns whether they are toys or real are never to be pointed at any person or animal. He's 6 now and has never had an issue with a gun as he knows what they will do and hunts regularly with his father.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Who cant see where this is headed........
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
RCC Addict

my parents let me play with toy guns when i was little, but i was taught right from wrong and how to handle real guns. of course i was brought up around guns, hunting, and being that both my grandparents lived in the country we always shot target practice etc.

and who as a kid hasnt played cops and robbers or cowboys and indians with cap guns or rubberband guns?
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
RCC Addict

My kids do play with toy guns, they also SHOOT real ones, they have since they were 5 yr old.

They know the safety involved and handle every gun as if it is real and loaded.
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
They know the safety involved and handle every gun as if it is real and loaded.
Bingo
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by It usually runs fine View Post
Bingo
X2

I taught my son to treat his bb gun like any other loaded weapon. Someday when we move up to something more powerful, he'll already have it in his head.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I have more than a few firearms, the boy has a VAST nerf arsenal, BB/pellet rifle, and soon to have an Airsoft. He's 9.

The BB gun is locked up with my stuff in the safe, he goes through all the safety stuff I do to shoot.

He also shoots .22's with me. I have a single shot bolt, 10/22, and a frame up purpose built 1911 in .22lr. For now he's limited to 2 rounds at a time. The pink one is my daughters.

He loves the nerf stuff, his favorite is the Vulcan, basically a chain fed nerf gun. He launches them off the back deck at action figures set up in the yard. We also shoot off the back deck at targets with his BB gun.

As for my 12yr daughter, she doesn't have any toy guns. She does have a single shot .22lr. She is after me to build her a target rifle though since hers starting to get small for her. That and she wants to get on the 4H shooting team with a friend of hers.

The kids have all been shown how to handle guns, they follow safety rules, where all the hearing and eye protection. Toy or real they know that they are not to shot it unless they intend to harm it. To always be aware of muzzle and trigger. Anything above nerf is locked up and an adult to be with them.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I own and my kids have a few airsoft guns. I've taught them gun safety. They know how to treat a toy/real weapon correctly. Its people that have never picked up a gun that scare the crap out of me. In Basic Training I almost fought a guy for pointing an M4 towards me while qualifing. I assumed everyone had shot a gun before.....WRONG.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANOVRU View Post
Who cant see where this is headed........
Wait for it.......................
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Reason why I ask...

My sister won't let her son play with toy guns, she is a tad bit on the liberal side, so this doesn't surprise me much. She doesn't want any guns in her house, toy or real.

A good friend of mine won't let his kids play with toy guns either. This guy has more guns than the National Guard, I pitty the idiot that decides to break into his house... He doesn't want his kids playing with toy guns because he doesn't want them to mistake a real gun for a toy. Yes, his kids, as young as they are, are fully versed in gun safety. I've been on the range with them, if they don't don't think you have checked a gun clear and safe they will call you on it. I feel safer with his kids handling guns than most adults, not bad for a 7, 9, and 12 y/o...

So, there are two different views on why people don't want toy guns, I'm just wondering what people with guns feel about their kids playing with toy guns.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
X2

I taught my son to treat his bb gun like any other loaded weapon. Someday when we move up to something more powerful, he'll already have it in his head.
x3

Teaching is the key ingredient here. Talking to your kids and helping them understand goes a long way with everything, not just gun safety.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

A boy who isnt allowed to play with toy guns will most likely play with barbies.. for the rest of their life.
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #15
dnf

I think allowing my kid the option of playing with toy guns,will help keep his attention away from the gun cabinet.

He has 3 bb guns,and a arsenol of nerf guns,along with several noise makers.
I think nerf is the shit,and when he gets older we will upgrade to paintball.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:36 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

When I was a kid I was a shit. I got into everything. I would get grounded for doing something I shouldnt pretty often, but my dads gun cabinet was one thing I knew not to play with. It is something that my dad had taught me since I could probably walk and something I always knew was off limits. I had toy guns, a "Bop Gun" was my favorite. I used to "play" hunting alot and never did it cross my mind to try out the real thing.
I did however have the option to ask my dad to take me out shooting where I was able to shoot a BB gun and then a .22 and worked my way up as I matured and got older.
One thing that I did though that was VERY stupid was, I was about 7 years old and was shooting cans with a bb gun. Me and a buddy were taking turns and eventually ran out of BB's. Since my dad tried to tell me how everything worked when I was a kid, I knew that there were bb's in shotgun shells. So me and my buddy decided to "get some more bb's" and got some shotgun shells out of my dads closet, and opened the end up with a flat head screw driver so we could get the bb's.
Im sure that I got a woopin', I dont remember that part, but I do remember my dad being VERY scared/relieved I didnt get hurt and disappointed that I would do something like that. I also remember feeling horrible.
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:15 AM   #17
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
A good friend of mine won't let his kids play with toy guns either. This guy has more guns than the National Guard, I pitty the idiot that decides to break into his house... He doesn't want his kids playing with toy guns because he doesn't want them to mistake a real gun for a toy. Yes, his kids, as young as they are, are fully versed in gun safety.
Umm? That makes no sense at all..He has taught his kids the safety and common sense of gun use, but still will not allow them to have a toy gun? Although we all know that the word toy and gun should not even be in the same sentence together But sounds like he hasn't taught them very well in my opinion then, if he doesn't feel his children know the difference.

I have let Colton have toy guns to real guns, but he does know the safety of guns. He has shot everything from BB/pellet guns, to my pistol grip shotgun, to my SKS, to my SR9c, to his S&W 15-22. However, He also knows that you can not preach enough safety to a person about guns. He is now interested in learning how to reload with me..However, I have caught him saying stupid crap because of what he has seen done in a video game and I had to set him straight fast! But to each his own and I am sure not going to tell someone on how to parent their child..
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnRockCrawler View Post
A boy who isnt allowed to play with toy guns will most likely play with barbies.. for the rest of their life.
I like that, now thats a signiture
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #19
RCC Addict

I sure do, and I used the toy guns as a tool to help teach gun safety about the real ones.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for your input guys. Wife and I are trying to have a kid now, I know we'll always have guns in the house, just don't know about toy guns. Sounds like this goes back to that whole 'being a parent' deal and actually teaching your kids (gee gosh... ), and be a responsible gun owner...

Thanks again...