Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: New Truck Time...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default New Truck Time...

Well, new to me. Sold my truck today and need to get into to something asap. Requirements were fullsize, auto, 4wd, and a bed.

After searching C-list, the papers, and auto traders all afternoon I went to see this...

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/2294514746.html

Its a little overkill for landscaping but I feel like its by far the most truck I can get for my money from what Ive looked at today. Its got 3 small spots of rust on the drivers side, other than that it really does look that clean. I was figuring it had an old 7.3 in it but the owner says its an IH . I dont know diesels but from the little I have gathered IH is supposed to be pretty good?? Anyone know what auto would most likely be behind this??

The miss and I are going out looking somemore tom morning but if nothing pops up this may be what Im driving tommorrow.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

92 will have the old IDI turd. Late 94 and all 95 and newer have the desirable Powerstroke.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Ok after some research I find it is a 7.3 but pre-Ford power. It is an International. And, from what Ive read very reliable although not as much power as the PS's. They made a turbo version of this motor until mid '94 but they had problems as a lot of people thought the IDI wasnt really designed for forced induction.

Aside from the obvious lack in power compared to the PS's, does anyone have any other info on these motors??? Inj pump and glow plugs were recently changed. Again this would be my first diesel so any advice/tips would be appreciated.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

IH made the powerstrokes up until the new 6.7. (My 05 6.0 was built by IH) The old 7.3 NA IDI motor was a good all be it low power motor. The 7.3 Turbo motor is a beast and can be found relativly cheap. If you want a really good motor, try to find a dodge with the 12v 5.9. 30mpg and all the power you can use (though Im not fond of dodge products).
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Remember that the non-turbo is a completely different engine than the turbo Powerstroke, they just had the same displacement
RCTRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
IH made the powerstrokes up until the new 6.7. (My 05 6.0 was built by IH) The old 7.3 NA IDI motor was a good all be it low power motor. The 7.3 Turbo motor is a beast and can be found relativly cheap. If you want a really good motor, try to find a dodge with the 12v 5.9. 30mpg and all the power you can use (though Im not fond of dodge products).
haha junk Dodge truck built around a very reliable engine, remember you could always do a cummins swap into a ford
RCTRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

yea id pass on that one, the 95-97 powerstrokes are a good solid truck.
Rootar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

THE 7.3 IDI are good engines, have good torque for a non turbo, and last forever with decent maintance. As far as trans it could have been an E4OD if 4speed auto or C6 if 3speed. The powerstrokes are definatly more popular but that one will outlast the majority of the 2003 and up Ford diesels on the road now
greencrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:28 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Meh, go mid 80's and get the 6.9. I had an 86 that's was loud as hell and slower than shit.
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

true the IDIs are a solid truck, you cant kill them for that matter it might be slow and not get great mileage but you wont kill it. We have a bucket truck that still runs (if you can get it started) it has over 20,000 hrs on it. You can estimate mileage by say an average of 45mph for most of our trucks, which means its got over 900,000 miles and has never been opened up. (other than a couple starters, batteries, and a alternator, its never given us a bit of trouble)
Rootar is offline   Reply With Quote