Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: My First Diesel...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My First Diesel...

So I posted a thread about this truck already, and ended up buying it. I needed a fullsize pick up for my lawn care bizz and this more than fit the bill. Its a '92 F250 diesel EC LB 4x4. From what I can tell its in pretty good shape overall.

Any tips/advice about diesel maintainance, either general or in particular to this model, would be greatly appreciated.

Some pics....
Attached Images

RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Just because it has a diesel motor in doesnt mean it is like the Big rigs, you cant let these smaller diesel motors idle all the time, you build up carbon inside the motor and burn the injectors up. Some people may like to disagree but I have seen lots of people bring them in due to idleing for long periods of time. On another note, thats not a bad looking truck, now get some wheels to set it off.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Just because it has a diesel motor in doesnt mean it is like the Big rigs, you cant let these smaller diesel motors idle all the time, you build up carbon inside the motor and burn the injectors up. Some people may like to disagree but I have seen lots of people bring them in due to idleing for long periods of time. On another note, thats not a bad looking truck, now get some wheels to set it off.

I hear what youre saying. A lot of people have told me that diesel engines cut off very abruptly compared to gas engines and that is the main reason for letting diesels run for "brief" periods. When I say brief I mean running into the gas station, dropping off some mail; situations where you would normaly cut your vehicle off, say 5min or less. And I can see that point off view too on the wear & tear...
Old 04-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

always carry an extra fuel filter or 2 in the truck with you.
hellbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANOVRU View Post
say 5min or less.
My dad does that with his '00 PSD 7.3L.....carries two sets of keys, one for the ignition, and one to lock and unlock the doors when he leaves it running...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbounder View Post
always carry an extra fuel filter or 2 in the truck with you.

I know the cat died from it, but why if I may ask??
Old 04-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
My dad does that with his '00 PSD 7.3L.....carries two sets of keys, one for the ignition, and one to lock and unlock the doors when he leaves it running...

Thats a good idea if I can ever afford to get a keyless entry set up.

At this stage in the game its good just to have working locks.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

every now and then run the beans off it. clean out all the carbony goodness.

some guys swear by injector cleaner. others dont.
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Carry an extra fuel filter because fuel stations do not regulate diesel like gas. You never know when you are going to get a tank with water in it middle of summer middle of winter does not seem to matter in my flleet.
Also always let it warm up before you take off pushing a cold diesel hard is not a good thing.
CConROCKS! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
I've seen it first hand also. international motor's is really bad out of all of them. think it's the natural asperated one's the most. seen it first hand. I've work in auto diesel shops around her alot. one thing is that RED LINE oils makes a good product for these. it makes the ctain in the diesel higher and better, and it helps alot with water being in the fuel. it's just an additive that you put in a tank of fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConROCKS! View Post
Carry an extra fuel filter because fuel stations do not regulate diesel like gas. You never know when you are going to get a tank with water in it middle of summer middle of winter does not seem to matter in my flleet.
Also always let it warm up before you take off pushing a cold diesel hard is not a good thing.
always have a filtter, always it is the biggest thing for these trucks. oil, good quality is number 1 thing to do to keep it running also. delo 400 is I think the best for these trucks. and get a good filter for both oil and fuel, I've seen were in a vary hard pull a cheep filter has sucked into it self.
spyderwebbcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConROCKS! View Post

yes sir nothing like hauling to a tractor pull ,and having too change a fuel filter on the side of the hiway. or the fuel primer getting a leak in the middle of nowhere.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

So basically carry the fuel filter in case the truck just randomly dies or wont start?? Is there any other way to know when the filter would need to be changed??

What the deal with "watered down" diesel?
Old 04-10-2011, 09:04 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

water just happens. most of the time the truck not like something it'll qt on ya. some it will act like it's going to die then will. woun't take long at all to die on you. "O" thier is a chance to get fuel algie in it too I've seen it as well, black slimy stringy stuff, kinda like snot.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

if you take care of them they'll go forever. my dodge was at 356,000 when i sold it. it's still going strong . my duramax is at 165,000.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbounder View Post
if you take care of them they'll go forever. my dodge was at 356,000 when i sold it. it's still going strong . my duramax is at 165,000.
sounds just about right. my work (duramax)truck had about 115k when I started driving it. when the boss sold it it had over 225k. think it had more power and better mpg when it was sold, but being on the farm the truck it self was falling apart LOL not the trucks had anything to do with that

when I was in high school dad had a 88 f-350 larit that had over 750k , and a hard life to boot when it finally went, so if you take care of your new baby It'll take care of you for many o years.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:42 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

change the fuel filters every 7500 miles, only buy your fuel at major stations that get good turn over of fuel (pay attention to where the local delivery drivers fuel up). I dont know about on a N/A motor but I swear by Hotshot Secret oil additive in my 6.0 (cleans the oil side of the injectors and turbo). I have heard of issues with using Rottela in the IDI motor (foaming issues) so you might stick with 15w40 synthetic.

NEVER run out of fuel. If you do you will have a hell of a time getting all the air out and ruin your injectors. If your to the point where you cant make it to the station, walk.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:20 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Hell yeah! I love that body style of ford, I currently own two of them and eventually there will be a 3rd haha. Don't start looking at the cummins conversions, next thing you know you'll have it torn all to hell and wondering how it's all supposed to fit back in .
Slowkrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderwebbcustoms View Post
sounds just about right. my work (duramax)truck had about 115k when I started driving it. when the boss sold it it had over 225k. think it had more power and better mpg when it was sold, but being on the farm the truck it self was falling apart LOL not the trucks had anything to do with that

when I was in high school dad had a 88 f-350 larit that had over 750k , and a hard life to boot when it finally went, so if you take care of your new baby It'll take care of you for many o years.

Its got 266k on it now and literally runs like a top. Inj pump and glow plugs were done last year about 7-8k ago.

I know what your saying about taking care of it, which is why Im asking for maintainence help . The milage doesnt worry me because it does seem as if its been taken care of pretty well, and Id like to continue that.

Its all in how theyre taken care of. Hell I personally know of a few trucks locally with gas motors that have 300-350k+ and still get used on a regular basis.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
only buy your fuel at major stations that get good turn over of fuel (pay attention to where the local delivery drivers fuel up).

NEVER run out of fuel. If you do you will have a hell of a time getting all the air out and ruin your injectors. If your to the point where you cant make it to the station, walk.

I have been told this as well by several people, especially the running out of fuel deal.

Speaking of which, this is the first truck Ive had with working dual fuel tanks. How exactly does that work switching over? Can it be done while driving/with the engine running (not that I foresee being financially able to fill both up regularly)??
Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

trucks Ive had with duals, you could switch when ever. just make sure to use each tank regularly or water will build up.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote