Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Who is into prerunners? but cant afford one

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Who is into prerunners? but cant afford one

I am only 14 but i have been dirtbiking in the desert since i was about 3 and went there before i could even ride....... 4 older brothers that ride too........... so i am a desert grown kid and always wanted a 1:1 prerunner but can not afford it but i recently found these sweet things called trophy karts which are 1/2 the size of a real one and you find all the same stuff on them....... i was wondering if anyone on here has one and wants to post some pics??
slash23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2011, 01:46 AM   #2
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Stick with the 1:1 prerunner. Trophy Karts will cost about the same, but only have a motorcycle motor in them. Granted hella fun as well.
Since everyone is broke right now, prerunners are going for a lot cheaper nowadays.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

ya but it wouldnt be a full blown prerunner with the cost of a trophy kart...... i might get the one with a 450 motor which pushes like 70mph....... idk though once we move this summer and are settled in i might be racing them not sure yet though
Old 04-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

ive always wanted to have one of these with a 1100 cc engine , that would be fun !!! http://www.edge.au.com/Categories/The_Barracuda
yoda316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Why not start building a street legal pre-runner now? When you get your drivers license you will have a sweet truck to drive to school and work, then beat it up in the desert on the weekends.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

hear's one you dont have to build.............

http://1redline.com/products/revoltX...singleseat.php

its a bit pricy...........

but made in USA........
roksloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I used to be into hookers and blow, but I couldn't afford them.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

or these........

imports.............http://teamdazon.com/Dazon-Raider-Xt...ie-Go-Kart.htm
roksloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

im not goinng to build one now i am later when i get my license i will build one slowly...... my older bro is 16 in june and he has a 95 ex cab 4.6l ford ranger ( i hate ford) and he is going to start getting it prerunnered out slowly hes gettin flares for his bday and then he is gonna get some 8 hole gloss black rims...... then me him and my dad will start building the front bumper/skidplate and stuff........ eventually he is gonna have the double shocked long travel in it but shocks cost so dam much..... i think i might do this to a chevy colorado when i am 15
Old 04-27-2011, 06:18 AM   #10
Adilynsdad too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
I used to be into hookers and blow, but I couldn't afford them.
I used to blow hookers until I got a bad rash around my mouth...
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:42 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

A chevy anything for a prerunner is not a great idea, rather it be s10 or colorado. The aftermarket support for the Ford ranger and Mazda B series is insane. You can easily buy a prerunner off the shelf using a Ranger platform but, an s10/Colorado you best have some good fab skills.

As for the Trophy carts, why not build your own? You could either do a buggy like a Desert Cart or get some tube and some pictures and build a Trophy cart. The nice thing on the trophy cart (when it comes to building) is that they use an atv style swing arm. Very easy to build. Just get ahold of an old Yamaha Raptor, ditch the frame and you have a pretty good start.

You could always build a Yamaha Rhino... Ive seen the older 450 versions go for under $4000 and everything is off the shelf to build it up (including some street bike motor swaps).
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #12
Jer
Rock Crawler

I am a technician for GM, having said that DO NOT make a colorado or even an s10 prerunner. You will not be happy with the repair costs. I would suggest a toyota or (god forbid) a ranger.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Is there any type of GM that you would recommend? my dad has had a 2002 GMC Sierra 2500hd bought brand new from a dealer and has only had to fix a weld on the exhaust bolting thing and tires other than that he has had no issues so i would say GM is fine. I have about 4 Colorado's where i live and a couple S-10's with the zr2 package tht have been repaired and driven just about anywhere with no problems so what do you mean?
Old 04-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
Jer
Rock Crawler

GM trucks are solid vehicles, when it comes time for me to buy a truck I will have a GM truck. When you start modifying them is when things start to go downhill. A pre-runner is more than "big shocks" and fender flares. From the sounds of it you are looking to make a pre-runner for as cheap as possible, most of the parts required to make a gm truck a pre-runner are either going to be custom made or expensive. I am definitely not a ford fan, but the ranger seems to be a good truck especially when parts are so readily available for it. Basically I am saying it's going to be tough to get a truck you can beat on and still feel comfortable driving it daily. Wants and needs are tough to seperate, Ideally you could get a daily driver and one to beat one, but realistically you will need one to be reliable and have to use your brothers. I can recommend a colorado, I very rarely work on them even though they are everywhere. When I do work on them it's usually very minor things, I have never done serious work on the drivetrain FWIW
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote