Thread: Paypal Gift Payment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #21
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ View Post
We did but we sold them. You did not see the ad in the classifieds
Fawk Yeah!

No more classifieds. I hated that place.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

I gave $72.50 for the classifieds, seller asked that I pay as gift, it's been 6 weeks now and I have yet to receive them and I see they are still listed. Should I be worried?

As far as asking for payment as a gift, that's the sellers right, if you're not comfortable paying that, just say so. I've got great FB and only twice have I asked it since the seller was young and had NO FB anywhere. I've had people send it as a gift if I've delt with them before and I've sent it that way as well.
It still boils down the the buyer and seller being smart.
High dollar, pay regular.
Low buck, just do your homework on the seller. Don't pay gift unless you're comfortable with who they are.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #23
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
I gave $72.50 for the classifieds, seller asked that I pay as gift, it's been 6 weeks now and I have yet to receive them and I see they are still listed. Should I be worried?

As far as asking for payment as a gift, that's the sellers right, if you're not comfortable paying that, just say so. I've got great FB and only twice have I asked it since the seller was young and had NO FB anywhere. I've had people send it as a gift if I've delt with them before and I've sent it that way as well.
It still boils down the the buyer and seller being smart.
High dollar, pay regular.
Low buck, just do your homework on the seller. Don't pay gift unless you're comfortable with who they are.
Pm me the person.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Never seen a gas station like Duke's show a price for cash and more for credit?
isnt the government trying to get the consumer to start paying for the transaction cost. I might have misunderstood what I heard, but I think thats right.
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #25
Got Worms?

if some ever asks to send a gift...just send an extra 30 cents and 3%...sometimes if someone don't ask i'll send a gift (unless its big money) or i add in afew extra bucks, more than once i've added in an extra 5 dollars above asking price just because i can.

Honestly though, the amount you save from receiving a gift, is the same amount extra you'd spend going to the po to ship, than going through paypal.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

It's only 3%, or $.30 per $10. One guy I saw recently asked for an additional $3 to cover fees on a $12 set of tires! That's how paypal makes their money to stay in business. I don't think asking for "gift payment' is right and I agree that it shouldn't be allowed.
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
It's only 3%, or $.30 per $10. One guy I saw recently asked for an additional $3 to cover fees on a $12 set of tires! That's how paypal makes their money to stay in business. I don't think asking for "gift payment' is right and I agree that it shouldn't be allowed.
You didn't hear? Paypal charges 25% now.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

I just pass on the sale ads that ask for payment as a gift. I have been burned once before and I wont fall for it again.

Just my personal experience with it.
smokediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #29
RCC Addict

It's actually 2.9% and it's been standardized to everyone who uses paypal
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #30
No idea what I'm doing

If everyone just avoids the "gift" ads, those people will go away.

I've always taken into account the PayPal fee and priced accordingly.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #31
Gold Star Baby!

I usually don't ask for it to be sent as a gift, but people send it to me that way. I recently sent someone a gift payment for a raffle ticket and I didn't get charged a fee.
SoCo Crawlgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

There is a way to avoid the fees all together. If you know you want to buy something, BEFORE you start looking, add enough money to your Paypal account to cover what you want to buy. If the money comes from your paypal balance, regardless if it's sent as a gift or not, no one gets charged the 3%. The same is true if you have Paypal take the money directly from your bank account. It's only when you have it attached to a credit or debit card that it'll charge the fees.
TEAM DEBEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
If everyone just avoids the "gift" ads, those people will go away.

I've always taken into account the PayPal fee and priced accordingly.

I agree.....
and x2............

i will never buy from someone that wants payment as a gift...............
roksloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #34
Rock Stacker

It's actually against paypals terms of use, and should be banned on the forum. You can get your account locked for even asking for it that way...

"
4.1 Receiving Personal Payments. If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a Personal Payment for the purchase. If you do so, PayPal may remove your ability to accept Personal Payments.

"

From their terms of use.
ozyint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:43 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4u2nv View Post
This shouldn't even be allowed.
ok what if you need to send money to someone to help them out, birthday money to a friend or your children....you want to pay there rape fee to send money to some body .........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:45 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrik View Post
If you do a "gift payment" the person sending the money pays the fees.
i have never paid a fee to send or recieve money as a gift ever, i do it all the time.........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:51 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrik View Post
If you do a "gift payment" the person sending the money pays the fees.
Only if you use your credit card....there is no fee if you take it out of your bank account...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:20 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
ok what if you need to send money to someone to help them out, birthday money to a friend or your children....you want to pay there rape fee to send money to some body .........bob

This is obviously not the same thing. The gift thing is there so you can send friends and family money for whatever with no fees. It's not there for people to sell their goods and skip out on the fee.

Asking for a gift for something you are selling is no different than stealing in my mind. Paypal is a business that makes it rather convenient for people like us to easily make secure transactions. Before paypal you wouldn't even be able to take credit cards and what not from other individuals to sell your crawler parts.

The 3% is pretty damn cheap. Don't believe it? Have you ever tried to send money via Western Union? Their fees are multiple times higher, and they don't have a gift option either.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

I've only ever asked for payment as a gift a few times, and never in an ad. Usually, if somebody tries to negotiate me to my bare minimum price, I'll tell them the lowest I can take, but they need to cover the fees or send as gift.

On the other side of it, I will occaisionally send payment as personal, but only if I completely trust the person I'm sending it to. I don't just go on feedback either. I have to have had multiple dealings with a person or know them in some way more than to just recognize their name from a couple posts.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:10 AM   #40
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAM DEBEAD View Post
There is a way to avoid the fees all together. If you know you want to buy something, BEFORE you start looking, add enough money to your Paypal account to cover what you want to buy. If the money comes from your paypal balance, regardless if it's sent as a gift or not, no one gets charged the 3%. The same is true if you have Paypal take the money directly from your bank account. It's only when you have it attached to a credit or debit card that it'll charge the fees.

Somebody always pays the fees, PP gets paid some how.

Gifts though have a harder time when it comes to disputes, thats where it gets risky.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote