Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Voc. schools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2006, 06:08 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Voc. schools

i was just wondering how many of you guys are in or went to a vocational high school? im in one right now(taking plumbing as a trade) and i think its the best way to go to school.what are your thoughts?
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

im going on my last week of ine for weilding. today we went bankruped. we have a $60,000.00 iou bill for cal weld our gas susplier and they repoed all the tanks todays so we are all back on ark but im glad im done :-P
blazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

i go to a votec school the only catholic vocational highschool in the country

i take HVAC/R

ill aggree with you it is the best way to go to school imo
chrispbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
K_B
I wanna be Dave

blazed, you NEED to be taking some sort of typing class and quit huffing the MAPP gas...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:52 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

It hurt me in away. It's a long story. All I can say is watch what credits you get. Make sure you get all your Gen. Ed. classes in order first.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:55 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I go to Vinal tech for auto body.
CoreyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:57 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I wish I would have went for auto mechanics. :neutral:
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:34 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Graphic design school for me. I hasn't help all that much. I wish I would have taken more welding and fabricating type of stuff.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:53 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I took two years of votech in highschool learning aircraft mechanics.......................which I never used in life, but the learning experience was more valuable than an extra science or math class.

To be honest, plumbing would be close to the last votech class I would take. Take a couple of days and follow around a plumber, it really isn't much of a life (no offense meant towards the plumbers out there). I work closely with commercial mechanical contractors, and have worked closely with dozens of plumbers over the years, and I have yet to meet a plumber who is "proud" (if you know what I mean).
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:19 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J
Graphic design school for me. I hasn't help all that much. I wish I would have taken more welding and fabricating type of stuff.
Same here. I took Graphic design and Commerical Art. I took almost 4 yrs of it. Never got me a job that liked. Every job was doing boring layouts and printing. Not much art in it. I wish I would have taken welding and a fab class aswell.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:50 PM   #11

I took two years of Auto Mechanics in High School, and it wasn't just book work either. We actually opperated like a real shop. Now I am an ASE certified mechanic. I think it was great, being able to take that and get credit for it in school. I would recommend it.
mudking82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:04 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I took building construction in high school, now I am a job supervisor for a land developer/new home builder. It really pays off if you give it 100% and know what you want to do with the rest of your life at 16 years old.

Robb, the plumbers that work for me are proud of what they do, and for $70,000.00 a year, I would be to.

Think of it this way, all your buddies that go to collage, sit in a cubical, and crunch numbers all day, still need someone to fix their sink or water heater. I make more money then almost all my friends that spent 4 years in collage. Plus, no student loans.

Get into a trade, not many people are willing to do it anymore. Less plumbers in the world means the ones out there can set their own price.
RD400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:32 AM   #13
Trying to have Fun Again

People in the constuction phase don't get the credit they deserve. I make $20.00 a hour to pull wire and I love it . My wife is escrow officer and she does the closing for the houses that people buy. And we live great. I wen't in to the army at 18 and learned nothing that would work in normal people' s life except how to blow sh*t up. I learn through the ranks of work at wht you love to do and doing it good. I didn't go to vocab school to learn what I do I learned it on the job.
Red Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:10 AM   #14
Sinking with the ship

I went to BOCES out here by me which was a vocational school. I rated top in my class for attendance and grades/class participation was selected into the AYES program (automotive youth education system). From there I got a I got a job with a local toyota dealership where I interned and trained under a mentor. When I graduated HS I then went to college and took the Toyota t-10 program and obtained a 2 year associates degree in automotive applied technology and also recieved a certificate for being factory trained and certified Toyota technician...

Now I work for a bike company, o well I was glade I did the vocational school thing, it prepared me for the college courses which were much more techincal and had alot more theory.

Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:53 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

wow i guess a lot of you went to some sort of voc. school.the thing i like most about it is that the whole year is broken up, meaning that i have one week of shop and then i have one week of academics(
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:34 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

My school was a little different, we had our core classes, math, ENGLISH, science, etc... in the morning. After lunch we loaded up in a van and went to a jobsite the school bought and built the houses. It was great!!

That class took the place of all of your PE, shop, and electives. It was strange though, trig at 7:45 AM, by 12:30 PM I was pounding nails and setting walls.
RD400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:16 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

rd400 mine is just like yours except we have jobsites and classrooms where were taught

www.mercyvocational.org check it out

i just noticed there is a pic of me on the site in the photo gallery find me if you want

Last edited by chrispbubba; 04-27-2006 at 09:20 PM.
chrispbubba is offline   Reply With Quote