Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: The Glorious Basement Dry-Out Debacle!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 05:00 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default The Glorious Basement Dry-Out Debacle!

As most of you know, I spend a bit of time in my basement. Not only is the workshop down there, but my man cave/RC storage room is on the other side, so I enjoy the subterranean life. The man cave has carpet.

April and May here were the wettest on record, and as a result there's a bit of water seeping up through the floor. Into the carpet. Smells a bit. Stu is sad. So it's time to try to dry this place out.

My ancient wall-mount hygrometer showed 70% humidity down there at the start of the clean-up. Phase 1 involved walking on towels to take up the water that I could get to. This made the carpet somewhat less soggy, and increased my collection of wet towels.

Phase 2 involves a dehumidifier, which is placed near the worst wet spot and running 24 hours a day.

Hummmmmmmmmmmmm

As of this morning, humidity is down to 64%, so I've made a dent.

Now, what the crap is this?

It looks and feels like pasta (not gonna taste it, thanks) and there's a couple spots of it growing up through the carpet. Whatever it is, it does not please me.

Will update as humidity drops if there's sufficient interest.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2011, 05:33 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Thats called way to wet.....if it were me I would pull the carpet up and either take it out side to dry or elevate it, and run some with fans and the de-humidifier. That type of $hit there can get into your lungs.....been hacking any??
Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post

It looks and feels like pasta (not gonna taste it, thanks) and there's a couple spots of it growing up through the carpet. Whatever it is, it does not please me.

Will update as humidity drops if there's sufficient interest.
BC Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:51 AM   #3
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
so I enjoy the subterranean life..
Me too!!
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
Tossin' Salad

Once that carpet gets wet...I have to agree, you dont want to keep it down there. Either rip it up and take it outside to dry, or dump it.

But, if you leave it there, mold will grow, no matter what. You dont want that.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:05 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

If taking the carpet up wasn't a week-long festival of pain, I'd have done it. But it's wall to wall and so is the furniture. Like most basements, mine is the repository for everything that won't fit in the rest of the house.

If it comes to that, I will. Been bleaching the carpet to try and keep the growth to a minimum, since it's white anyway.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Does it have carpet pad under it??

If not I would at the least pull up the edges and slide a few 2x4's under carpet to elevate. Put some fans blowing under it (more air movement the better) and run the piss out of the de-humidifier. The bleach is a good idea, but will work better if you put it on the carpet backing and concrete.

If there is carpet pad under it, I would make the effort to pull it out. Because if not, good luck getting it dry with that d-humidifier. Not even joking about it getting in your lungs, that stuff can be nasty!
BC Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:59 AM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Those little pasta things are mushrooms, so we can say for certain that your carpet has been wet long enough to allow for mycelium to grow! The stuff is trash and a breeding ground for living organisms.

Rip it out, rip it out, rip it out. You have colonies growing in it already. Do it slow if you need to, but do it. Basements shouldn't have carpet anyway.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

As has been said, Stu... Rip that shit out! Seriously, it's not worth the risk. My ex-gf worked in insurance and while most people were faking the "ill effects" of mold damage for the ins. money, the real cases were pretty awful. Don't jack around with it and get that junk outta there!

Not sure what your ins. deductible is, but it may be worth a call to your ins. company. But I wouldn't wait or waste time trying to dry it out. The damage is done.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:34 AM   #9
Try to Bend it

Squeeze the base of the mushroom, If it turns blue you could be in for a fun night.

Seriously though you need to pull that carpet up. Its has had its day.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

YES SIR !! PULL IT UP!!

my families business is STILL drying out from the flash flooding we had here in arkansas..that was the 1st thing my dad did was start tearing out carpet,and using a wet vac.
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:55 AM   #11
Donkey Punch Champion!

Quote:
Now, what the crap is this?

It looks and feels like pasta (not gonna taste it, thanks) and there's a couple spots of it growing up through the carpet.
Good lord Stu, that is NOT good. Rip out the carpet...WHILE WEARING A MASK!!!! The insurance company should be involved before you do too much cleaning. Send them this same picture and explain about a slight cough when in the basement...about a month or so. "what should I do?" They will freak out when they see this photo alone. You have a serious problem here man, no joke...GET IT OUT!!!
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
Yashua

I do agree, after living in arkansas for 11 years the mold issue can really be serious to your family. That and the humidity is why i moved to arizona. The mold does'nt go away, it dies, produces spores (seeds) and thats what is the real danger to breath and they will always be there in the carpet. Walking on it and fans stir it up continually.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #13
06 Super National Champ

x whatever on getting rid of that carpet.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

And maybe next time put down outdoor carpet....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

rip it out and paint the floor. I painted mine and it looks great.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Those little pasta things are mushrooms, so we can say for certain that your carpet has been wet long enough to allow for mycelium to grow! The stuff is trash and a breeding ground for living organisms.

Rip it out, rip it out, rip it out. You have colonies growing in it already. Do it slow if you need to, but do it. Basements shouldn't have carpet anyway.
X2

that's stuff is growing cancer, we didn't have a choice but to remove the carpet, clean and dried everything out. Tons of work, but it'll save you a lung or two.
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If taking the carpet up wasn't a week-long festival of pain, I'd have done it. But it's wall to wall and so is the furniture. Like most basements, mine is the repository for everything that won't fit in the rest of the house.

If it comes to that, I will. Been bleaching the carpet to try and keep the growth to a minimum, since it's white anyway.

Get it out now!
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I think you could save it if you want, just spray every thing with bleach and them hire an industrial contractor to come in a spray a 1/2" layer of bedliner over all the walls and floor.

J/K

Get rid of the damn carpet,,,,, NOW!
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #19
PapaGriz Yo

Keep the carpet, start a mushroom farm and you can retire Stu..
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #20
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

One time I was involved in the sale of a 4plex that had some water in the basement. Evidently the owner had a water leak and didn't feel like taking care of it for 6 months or so. We had a field of mushrooms growing on the carpet, and a few hundred pounds of black mold drywall. The HVAC systems were located downstairs, so all the spores were being pushed into the tenants apartments!

The mushrooms were pretty big, it was amazing to see them growing out of carpet!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote