Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Why is it...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #1

Default Why is it...

I have been into r/c vehicles for nearly 20 years. Over those 20 years the majority of my attention has been towards the 1/10th scale off-road racing segment of the hobby. I also have a variety of "fun" non-race r/c vehicles (boats, helis, motorcycles, and WK based crawler). The crawler is alot of fun, but as I am sure all of you have figured out, crawling is way more fun when you do it with friends. That being obvious, you can imagine my excitement when I met a fellow r/c racer that lives near me that has a crawler, an SCX-10 Dingo TR to be exact. He knew about a really great crawl spot pretty close to where we live that I had previously never been to. So we headed up and did some crawling, the spot was awesome. I have to admit when he told me that he had a RTR scale rig I was a little worried that he might not be able to handle some of the terrain, boy was I wrong. It worked so well that I began kicking around the idea of geting a used SCX-10 roller, and swaping my electronics from my WK. So I started to look for used SCX-10 rollers, and this is where I have run into a bit of a snag. You see, being that I have been into r/c's for nearly 20 years I have bought and sold my fair share (probably 100+) of r/c vehicles. I have a pretty good grasp of what something SHOULD be priced, but the crawler world seems to be different. Everyone is asking way too much. I can get a NEW SCX-10 for $250, yet everyone seems to think that a used $250 truck with a $20 motor is worth $270. It is used WTF? An r/c vehicle is not an investment piece, it is a toy that you beat the h*** out of. IT DEPRECIATES! I mean WTF is wrong with you crawler guys? How come people are selling their used stuff for so much, and more importantly, why are people willing to pay such astronomical prices? IDK, maybe the BST area of this forum is where all of the deals are, but you crawler guys are so afraid of getting taken, that getting access to the BST area is like finding the Holy Grail. I guess it is the fact that it is a new segment of the hobby that brought in a bunch of new people that don't understand that a used r/c is suppose to cost less than a new r/c car. The same freakin' thing happened with the SC trucks. People trying to sell their old used slash for $230 when a new one is $235. Oh well, I guess I will just have to find that dumb sucker that is willing to sell their used $250 toy truck for les than $250. Rant over, ban me if you want!
ifuonlyknew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Nice intro.... I got a scx10 here I'd sell you... but I'd need to get $450 plus shipping and it has to be paid by Paypal as a gift. This is your first post since joining in 08 why bother?
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

lol 20 years later and your still whining like a noob? but really you should take more time to understand this hobby before you make a useless rant like you just did
celicaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #4

crawlers don't see as much abuse as normal rcs IMO but not sure y people think they can sell a used crawler for the same price as a new one check eBay out for sum deals. it might b cheaper to piece out a crawler
nik81818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

WOW..............just give it up dude!!!

you obviously didnt look deep enough...most of the crawlers for sale are priced under new value....there are plenty of great deals in the for sale section
if you dont like the price move on....
ROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Replace the rc references with the word hooker...
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

A few things to remember on buying a crawler or scaler .

1) How many hop up parts where used .
2) Who was the builder / tuner ( that means alot ) .
3) Has the rig won any big events .
4) How old is the rig .
5) The builder has the right to ask the price they want.(don't mean they will get it).
6) Buyer has right to offer less .
7) Builder has the right to tell them to FAWK OFF !!
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badd View Post
A few things to remember on buying a crawler or scaler .

1) How many hop up parts where used .
2) Who was the builder / tuner ( that means alot ) .
3) Has the rig won any big events .
4) How old is the rig .
5) The builder has the right to ask the price they want.(don't mean they will get it).
6) Buyer has right to offer less .
7) Builder has the right to tell them to FAWK OFF !!
Couldn't said it better

J-bird
j-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Ifyouonlyknew WTF you were talking about.

I swear, the summer heat makes stupid people stupider.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew View Post
IT DEPRECIATES!
Clearly from your rant you are wrong about this and they dont.. With all your findings I would think you would just go buy new and not bitch Just throw a $20 motor at it and sell it for more..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
Clearly from your rant you are wrong about this and they dont.. With all your findings I would think you would just go buy new and not bitch Just throw a $20 motor at it and sell it for more..
If you only knew, I don't think that works for him . Or he wouldn't be cring like he is .
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #12
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
How come people are selling their used stuff for so much, and more importantly, why are people willing to pay such astronomical prices?
People are selling their used stuff for so much because people are willing to pay such astronomical prices.

You don't have enough posts to see the classifieds and that's too bad because there really are some good deals there. You can buy a star to see them or just start posting until you hit 30. Once you do, I'm sure you will find a reasonable SCX roller
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Ifyouonlyknew WTF you were talking about.

I swear, the summer heat makes stupid people stupider.

The correct term is more stupid there genius. By the way, I have a 130 I.Q. and currently i'm currently going to school for mechanical engineering. Prior to starting school I was an avionics technician on a 60 million dollar spy plane. So I am not exactly stupid, or due to the heat "stupider" Either way arguing over the internet is like competing in the special olympics, even if you win, your still special. IDK I guess other older segments of the hobby are just different than crawling. You can find used B4 rollers for dirt cheap all day long. I think part of it is people spend a bucket of cash getting into crawling, just to find out it isn't their thing. Maybe I haven't been looking long or hard enough, but it doesn't really seem like many people are selling just a roller. They always seem to have a bunch of extra stuff too, which adds to the price. I guess I will just have to keep my eyes peeled for someone willing to part with a roller for cheap.
ifuonlyknew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:54 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
The correct term is more stupid there genius. By the way, I have a 130 I.Q. and currently i'm currently going to school for mechanical engineering.
Retards have gone to mechanical engineering schools..... Just saying.
Also I.Q. Doesn't stand up anymore other than in the military. It's been proven enough that it doesn't actually show intelligence.
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:21 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I mean WTF is wrong with you crawler guys? How come people are selling their used stuff for so much
Quote:
They always seem to have a bunch of extra stuff too, which adds to the price. I guess I will just have to keep my eyes peeled for someone willing to part with a roller for cheap.

You and this guy have a lot in common.....
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:27 AM   #16
Suck it up!

Quote:
Maybe I haven't been looking long or hard enough, but it doesn't really seem like many people are selling just a roller. They always seem to have a bunch of extra stuff too, which adds to the price. I guess I will just have to keep my eyes peeled for someone willing to part with a roller for cheap.
You will find very few people selling a bone stock roller. Crawling is the one genre of rc's where you cannot stay stock for long. Unlike racing, you can't throw on your favorite tires, change the shock oil, and go run. There is a lot of work to be done on the bench if you hope to be competitive at all.

It started with people custom building their own rigs, and for the most part continues to be that way.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:03 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Because once you get into the Scaler / Crawler part of the hobby. its like the ghetto and the ghetto has crack and crack is expensive! once your hooked your done, you dont care cuz your hooked.
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:05 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

why is it..
all the whiners come out in the summer..
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiredunlmtd View Post
why is it..
all the whiners come out in the summer..
School's out.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
People are selling their used stuff for so much because people are willing to pay such astronomical prices.
Exactly this ^^^ It's the law of supply and demand. The reason you can find B4 rollers dirt cheap is because there are a ton of them. They have been out for a while so the demand isn't as high. Thus, you can get them for cheap. The crawler segment is just getting into stride and there aren't nearly as many used crawlers on the market as there are TC, ST, SCT, or Buggies. As the demand for them goes up so will the prices people expect to get for them until one day the supply exceeds demand or interest in crawlers drops off. I would figure someone with an I.Q. of 130 would know how this works but apparently you either don't or forgot about it. Hope you can find something you like and good luck!
JonU is offline   Reply With Quote