Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat
Loading

Notices

Thread: Print your own rc parts?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 428
Default Print your own rc parts?

Saw this and thought it was cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt3EG...eature=related
RusT808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
Got Worms?
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 6,115
Default

Yea except that the printer cost 15k and probably any part you print will cost like $100 a piece.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Augustine
Posts: 288
Default

Would be awesome to see a company pick one of these up to make made to order rc bodies. That's the main use I see for it, probably more if I thought about it, but even then still not worth 15 g's just to play with
speed ghilliesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 423
Default

If anyone is serious about trying out a rapid prototyper then the Makerbot and RepRap are more accessible options.

http://www.makerbot.com/

http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page

However in my opinion this technology is still a long way from being perfect (at least at the hobbyist level) and you would be better off buying a small cnc mill.

Quote:
Would be awesome to see a company pick one of these up to make made to order rc bodies. That's the main use I see for it, probably more if I thought about it, but even then still not worth 15 g's just to play with
As far as I've seen most rapid prototypers don't really do hollow shells very well. You would need to build up extensive support structures just to be able to print the exterior surface of the body. You might be able to make a plug and use it to vacuum form a custom lexan body.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
20K Club
 
Harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sending illegals home one Hayabusa at a time.
Posts: 22,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Yea except that the printer cost 15k and probably any part you print will cost like $100 a piece.
Parts are pretty cheap, I have had several done for prototyping. Knuckles ended up costing me about $30 each to have done in SLS, about the same when done with FDM.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Parts are pretty cheap, I have had several done for prototyping. Knuckles ended up costing me about $30 each to have done in SLS, about the same when done with FDM.
Yep small stuff is cheep. FDM is the cheapest route to go. I worked in this field or 2 years interning and the 2 years for a company. I have seen just about every RP technology out there.

I have made tons of parts for my cars and have had great success with them. Just depends on what you use it for.
Shoei1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Elberfeld
Posts: 2,085
Default

Our local high school tech center has 3d printer and have done some chassis and other parts for me for free!! The teacher turned it into a project for one of the students.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 581
Default

A mix of a couple different RP parts. This was a project for my class. Every part was designed in solidworks and made with RP printers except the chassis and wheels

Shoei1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Home of the ORIGINAL Terminator chassis
Posts: 1,252
Default

It would take days to print out an entire body. We use a Solido S300 Pro printer and it's great for prototyping chassis and smaller parts.

I wouldn't recommend you use them as production parts due to strength, but using them to prove out designs is a perfect use for them.
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Augustine
Posts: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbid89 View Post

As far as I've seen most rapid prototypers don't really do hollow shells very well. You would need to build up extensive support structures just to be able to print the exterior surface of the body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE MT View Post
It would take days to print out an entire body.
Oh well, worth a thought.
speed ghilliesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 428
Default

Not that I could afford one but, good feedback from you guys.
RusT808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 3,262
Default

$15K for the printer... Does the CAD/rendering software come with it? How about setup and training?

That would be a cool little toy, but I can see the initial startup costs going way past $15K.

We had one of these at my work back about 7 or 8 years ago. There were times when the techs that worked with this thing didn't have anything to work on, so I 'd give them parts off of my E-Maxx to make. The parts really were not that durable, but it was cool to watch the printer work. Of course, their printer was about the size of 3-4 freezers put side-by-side...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:26 PM   #13
Got Worms?
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 6,115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbid89 View Post
If anyone is serious about trying out a rapid prototyper then the Makerbot and RepRap are more accessible options.

http://www.makerbot.com/

http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page
I knew about the rep rap (or its twin) but not the maker bot, looks like they took the reprap and made it a alot better. I want one

I researched 3d printers alot awhile back when i was wanting to sell a radio designed by me, was going to use the printer to make all the plastic stuff. But i decided 3d printing with a affordable printer wasn't ideal for all the time use, and having to baby sit it, but the maker bot seems to have solved all the problems, with its upgrades. I still plan on desiging a radio, but since my last idea i have raised my standards alot, so i'm gonna have to wait afew years when i'm actually in school for EE.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #14
Got Worms?
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 6,115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
$15K for the printer... Does the CAD/rendering software come with it? How about setup and training?

That would be a cool little toy, but I can see the initial startup costs going way past $15K.

We had one of these at my work back about 7 or 8 years ago. There were times when the techs that worked with this thing didn't have anything to work on, so I 'd give them parts off of my E-Maxx to make. The parts really were not that durable, but it was cool to watch the printer work. Of course, their printer was about the size of 3-4 freezers put side-by-side...
I'm pretty sure it doesn't include a cad software, but setup and training should be real simple.

according to dimension their formula for printed parts is 80% the strength of injection molded abs, so its some pretty tough stuff, and not brittle...but i don't think i'd be using it for any structural stuff on a rc.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:08 AM   #15
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Altos, California
Posts: 1,509
Default

for a low price of 14,900.....
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #16
REST IN ALOHA CHIP
 
YoUnG_vErSiOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: *
Posts: 3,549
Default you mean like this one?

Muhahahaa!!
YoUnG_vErSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #17
REST IN ALOHA CHIP
 
YoUnG_vErSiOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: *
Posts: 3,549
Default


YoUnG_vErSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com