Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Head injury story

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
06 Super National Champ

Default Head injury story

Found out a while back that Dirt Rag ran my story on their website.

So for those that care to read it and didn't want to buy the mag, enjoy.

http://www.dirtragmag.com/webrag/lif...c-brain-injury

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 07-12-2012 at 07:44 PM.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

damn dude that is a good story.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for sharing. A great read. Sorry this has happened to you.

SS
salmonshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Got Worms?

good read...how well do thoughts get stored in your long term memory?
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
RCC Addict

WOW! I've seen the pics on here before and heard the story but... that article for some reason really makes it sink in. Maybe it's because while reading it, you can picture the whole thing unfolding in your own mind and it's just unbelievable.
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Nice to see you haven't lost the mojo when it comes to writing. Hell of a story
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Sharing your experience will defiantly help others to be more aware of their safety gear when riding and hopefuly avoid your experience.

How has your healing been progressing, have you regained your short term memory?
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
damn dude that is a good story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonshark View Post
Thanks for sharing. A great read. Sorry this has happened to you.

SS
Thanks, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
good read...how well do thoughts get stored in your long term memory?
Depends, really. I still can't remember that day with the kids - it's just gone.

I do have trouble recalling things from earlier in the day, but I really have difficulty remembering if something was from yesterday or the day before...or the day before that. I'll remember it, but just not what day whatever it was happened.

I also often find myself telling a story about something that happened recently with no knowledge that I've already told this person that story. My neighbor has called me out on it a time or ten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4u2nv View Post
WOW! I've seen the pics on here before and heard the story but... that article for some reason really makes it sink in. Maybe it's because while reading it, you can picture the whole thing unfolding in your own mind and it's just unbelievable.
That was why I wrote it from a first-person point of view. I wanted those reading to basically insert themselves in my situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post
Nice to see you haven't lost the mojo when it comes to writing. Hell of a story
Sometimes you get lucky and the story just tells itself.

I've debated writing a book - just for the hell of it. I figure with all the crazy shit you see at the book store I should be able to get a book published.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Sharing your experience will defiantly help others to be more aware of their safety gear when riding and hopefuly avoid your experience.

How has your healing been progressing, have you regained your short term memory?
That was my goal - to get people to understand that the thought of "Well, I'm just.....I won't need it." can go south at any moment.

The short term memory is hit or miss and there's no rhyme or reason to what I remember and what I don't.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 08-11-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #9
No idea what I'm doing

Very cool story Jason. I've been an avid cyclist for many years as well...it's the reason I moved to Colorado. I've never had an injury like yours without a helmet, but I've broken my share in falls. I won't say that every broken helmet saved my life, but there are two incidents that I know would have resulted in serious injury or death without a helmet.

I've noticed some of the same things you mentioned... walking into a room and forgetting why I'm there. Or going to get something and returning without it (the sandwich story really hit home).

I've always just thought I was getting old, but maybe there's more to it. I fell last spring and broke my collarbone again, and hit my head pretty hard (another broken helmet). Since then my biggest issue is having something in my hand, setting it down and then not being able to find it less than 5 minutes later...it drives me crazy to the point that I've learned it's just best to walk away for awhile.

Anyway, great story and I wish you the best in your continued recovery.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I just fractured my skull in 4 places and my sinus in 1 due to a cycling/jump/pond accident 5 days ago. Thank you for scaring the shit out of my possibly handicapped future.
HndsWthtShdws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #11
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HndsWthtShdws View Post
I just fractured my skull in 4 places and my sinus in 1 due to a cycling/jump/pond accident 5 days ago. Thank you for scaring the shit out of my possibly handicapped future.

I had a fracture as well. That's why it hurt so damn bad.

Here's how this morning has gone. Got coffee, put the kids on the bus, and got some stuff out to work on a bike frame for a customer.

Had my phone in my hand in the garage and put it down to set up the bead blaster.

Got the frame ready to blast, was going to take a picture with the cell, and couldn't find it.

15 minutes later I found it upstairs on the couch. Last time I remember being up there was while having coffee and talking to the kids while they had breakfast. No idea how it got there.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Great story Jason, really brings home the importance of wearing helmets whenever biking. I've been biking for years and years now. Had numerous falls during that time, but never hit my head. Kept wearing my helmet and then one fall day about two years ago I was commuting to work, hit something in the road that instantly flatted my front tire and sent me into the curb at speed. Went headfirst into the sidewalk. Helmet was toast, and I had a bad headache for the rest of the day (mild concussion?). I hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't been wearing a helmet.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Great story Jason, terrible circumstance though.
Have you ever thought of setting up cameras in/around the house, to surveil yourself during the day? That way you can see what you've done, and maybe that would help return those memories, like leaving the phone on the couch.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Amazing story, I am truely glad to hear that you are doing ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckler View Post
Great story Jason, terrible circumstance though.
Have you ever thought of setting up cameras in/around the house, to surveil yourself during the day? That way you can see what you've done, and maybe that would help return those memories, like leaving the phone on the couch.
X2, this really does sound like a good idea. Couldn't hurt.
CmdrZod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Thanks for sharing Jason.
grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #16
I'm a stupid C U N T!

I remember when that happened and the pictures of it I've been guilty of not using a helmet and found myself in the hospital more then once, luckily for me i haven't had to suffer and permanent side effects other then an occasional scar.

I'm glad that you have the talent and use your accident to educate others and prevent further injuries
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote