Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Chrome Books

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default Chrome Books

Anyone have the google laptops...with their new chrome OS.

Whats your thoughts?
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I dont own one yet, but..
IMO, they are just a waste of money.. at some point you will need application other than chrome.

and at $400 (last time checked), you are better off just getting a standard laptop.. Anyways, boot times are not even essential. It takes a few seconds less on a chrome book too boot, but at the end of the the true winner will be the one that can run other software, that are essential for work..
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

spend your day doing everything you do in just the Google Chrome browser, you will know if you will like a Chromebook.

Chrome OS is basically a netbook that boots straight to Chrome browser and EVERYTHING is done in the cloud. nothing is installed/stored locally.

personally, I'd get a standard laptop, or put the money towards a good smart phone if you want stuff on the go.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I like android and google as i have a tablet and phone that uses and android/google but i have a feeling this might be one of the failed products that google tries to come out with. They work well by what i have seen but for $400 the asus transfomer has more going for it, buy the keyboard dock and it turns into a laptop. Had i not of bought the xoom early on i would own a assus tablet right now.
paintballer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBA069 View Post
spend your day doing everything you do in just the Google Chrome browser, you will know if you will like a Chromebook.
95% of my time on the computer is spent on the chrome browser, the other 5% is...

3% in MS office typing instruction stuff (but theres google docs)
.5% in STVP to program GT3B's
.5% in MPLAB to program wantamixs
THe rest of the time is spent in design suites (Eagle, Dreamweaver, photoshop, inventor, etc)

I don't plan on getting rid of my desktop, just looking for something to take with me when i'm away from my desktop. Because right now my phone is a huge pita to answer emails and check stuff. And i don't want a huge smart phone, cause it won't fit in my pocket.

Only thing i don't like about the chrome books is that the 3g is through verzion, i'm att
Old 08-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
Got Worms?

I'd honestly like to see a chrome OS for desktops, thats blazing fast and don't eat away at your computers resources.

cough...windows...cough cough

And don't even say go mac, i am a anti apple person, don't like them.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
5th D Owner/Driver

So whats wrong with Apple?
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I've never tried a Chrome book, but Windows 7 and hibernate is plenty quick enough for me. That plus the extra features of a full laptop make the choice pretty simple. Microsoft got it mostly right this time, coming from a Linux geek.

In my opinion, the best portable option would be a couple year old X or T series IBM Thinkpad (>$300 if you are willing to buy used) with Windows 7 or Linux. It won't give you that flashy "bleeding edge technology user" look, but is very practical and reliable.
vw_thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
Got Worms?

I don't want a laptop for anything that can't be done on the internet. I like having my big 22" screen when drawing schematics in eagle, parts in inventor, editing in adobe, etc.

I was asking opinions for how people like the chrome OS as in functionality and how it preforms. I have a nice desktop for stuff that isn't ran on the internet. As for windows 7, i don't like it much either, xp does me just fine on my single core cpu, 7 runs like turd.

I realize it can't run software, and i don't care i have a nice desktop todo that, i am debating whether to buy a BIG smart phone (sony experia arc) or a chrome book. As my HTC aria and its small screen isn't cutting it for replying to emails, pm's, and posts.

I don't really want a big smart phone, as it won't fit in my pocket, my htc aria barely does.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #10
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
So whats wrong with Apple?
I just don't like apple...simple as that.

Probably same reason i don't want a futaba
Old 08-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
I'd honestly like to see a chrome OS for desktops, thats blazing fast and don't eat away at your computers resources.

Have you thought about Ubuntu? Not a huge fan of it as far as Desktop replacement, but for something you want a cheap Netbook running Ubuntu sounds like a winner. Its fast, and like Chrome is built around the APP idea for adding programs.

Remember Google Chromium (the OS base) is still nothing more than a public beta. It's being updated quite a bit and in my opinion not a finalized ready for market system...YET.

Quote:
I don't really want a big smart phone, as it won't fit in my pocket, my htc aria barely does.
Maybe wear less hipster tight pants? I wear normal pants and fit the HTC Evo4g in my pocket comfortably which is similar in overall size as the Aria, just a bigger screen overall. Thought that Aria looks very thick.

Quote:
I just don't like apple...simple as that.
Exact opposite of a Mac fanboi...the "OMG I'm cool cuz I hate Mac's"? I l;ike Macs, but you have other options as I mentioned.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:

I thought you were a wanna be EE? I have yet to understand why an EE would take anything running a windows OS over a UNIX based system like a Mac. They run Twics as fast on the same resources. My videos take 1/4 of the time on my i5 based Mac as it does on my wife's i5 based laptop. Same memory and the laptop has double the video memory.

All that said, cloud computing is fine for people that want a browser and are willing to let others decide what programs they can run and what versions and are willing to work under some else's patch and upgrade schedule. Private cloud is ok for virtual desktops and to save license costs on some software. It also runs middleware pretty well along with messaging services. But Public Cloud is not ready for prime time.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #13
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Have you thought about Ubuntu? Not a huge fan of it as far as Desktop replacement, but for something you want a cheap Netbook running Ubuntu sounds like a winner. Its fast, and like Chrome is built around the APP idea for adding programs.

Remember Google Chromium (the OS base) is still nothing more than a public beta. It's being updated quite a bit and in my opinion not a finalized ready for market system...YET.

I'll stick with google...it'll have more support i think in the app market.

Quote:
Maybe wear less hipster tight pants? I wear normal pants and fit the HTC Evo4g in my pocket comfortably which is similar in overall size as the Aria, just a bigger screen overall. Thought that Aria looks very thick.
Have you ever seen an aria? its an inch shorter than the evo4g and the evo4g is about half inch wider...i'm unsure on thickness...and i don't wear skin tight jeans, nor do i wear baggy jeans with huge pockets, i wear these... they don't have deep, baggy pockets, just enough to put your hand em, i've considered swapping jeans, but i've been wearing these since i was a baby and their just comfortable.

Quote:
Exact opposite of a Mac fanboi...the "OMG I'm cool cuz I hate Mac's"? I l;ike Macs, but you have other options as I mentioned.
No, i mostly just don't like apple as a company, and the way they do things

I also don't like them because of all their fan boys that think its so great and blah blah blah. You go shopping for a phone, if the salesman is apple fan boy, you get why you want an iphone, and how android sucks, same with mac, ipod, and their other stuff.

Apple products themselves are decent, i won't argue that...
Old 08-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #14
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
would take anything running a windows OS over a UNIX based system like a Mac.
a.) i've been using the computer i have now for years,

b.)xp runs everything i have just fine...i refuse to run 7, and i'll NEVER run vista. Both of them make my computer a turd.

c.)I know my way around windows xp

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
All that said, cloud computing is fine for people that want a browser and are willing to let others decide what programs they can run and what versions and are willing to work under some else's patch and upgrade schedule.
I just simply want it for when i'm away from my pc, not as my main computer, just something to take with me and browse rcc, have a full key board to reply, and fast. The backend of my cart system has a chrome app, my email is through google, i use other google services, its just nice to have everything tied together, while independent at the same time.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

If you are on AT&T look at the Atrix smart phone. You can get a laptop sized docking station for it. It's not that big of a phone. My HTC Thunderbolt is HUGE compared to the Atrix.

That way you get stuff on the go, easy to email and do web stuff. Hell made this reply on my phone.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #16
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBA069 View Post
If you are on AT&T look at the Atrix smart phone. You can get a laptop sized docking station for it. It's not that big of a phone. My HTC Thunderbolt is HUGE compared to the Atrix.

That way you get stuff on the go, easy to email and do web stuff. Hell made this reply on my phone.
I'm looking at $700+ after i buy the phone and its laptop deck...i can get a chrome book for $200-300...

I do like the atrix though, its a nice phone...
Old 08-14-2011, 07:24 AM   #17
RCC Addict

There are some good individual reviews at amazon for the asus version. One of the first guys sounds like he is using it for similar reasons as you and has a very well written and thought out review.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AC700-109...3327913&sr=8-1

I read the poor reviews which mostly were from people who do not own the unit at all. But still, it has over 4 stars even with morons posting.

If it fits your needs, I say go for it.

Honestly, for many people on the go it's perfect.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Don't really need the dock, but if you were wanting a fullsize keyboard that's the way you would get it. Think it would be a whole lot handier than a chrome book and not as bulky to carry around. Hell you can even get Photoshop or PicSay apps on the Atrix to resize and adjust pictures.

think you would be good with just the phone though... I use my TBolt for alot when I am out of the house, in the house too when I dont feel like getting up to go in the office LOL.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

It seems like you are quite set on the Chrome book but won't find many opinions from owners on this site.

Maybe just install Virtual Box and Chrome OS so you can play with it on your desktop for a while?

I understand the quick on-the-go email and web check, looking forward to my first smart phone for that purpose (should be here tomorrow!). Still, I don't see a clear winner between a smart phone and a tablet/laptop. What would be really awesome is a smaller phone that could project its screen and keyboard onto a table or wall...
vw_thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #20
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw_thing View Post
It seems like you are quite set on the Chrome book but won't find many opinions from owners on this site.

Maybe just install Virtual Box and Chrome OS so you can play with it on your desktop for a while?

I understand the quick on-the-go email and web check, looking forward to my first smart phone for that purpose (should be here tomorrow!). Still, I don't see a clear winner between a smart phone and a tablet/laptop. What would be really awesome is a smaller phone that could project its screen and keyboard onto a table or wall...
Yea, i'm pretty set on it...just want reviews on the OS itself if it lives up to its claims and does what its meant todo.

As for smartphone vs netbook...let me put it this way my 500 pm limit is filled up every 1-2 weeks, and i get quite afew emails as well, along with pms on other forums...then there's threads. My smart phone is great, but i want a full key board, i type about 40 wpm on my desktop and like 5-10 on my phone