Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Gun and knife picture thread!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #1101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Gun and knife picture thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Correll View Post
A few of my Rugers and 1 of my lever guns. I have a few more hiding in that safe.

I also picked up another Vaquero this monday. A 3.75" Talo exclusive Birds head. Will take a pic sometime later and add it. If anybody cares about boring old single actions.

This is what it looks like.
More please
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #1102

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejr View Post
Apparently they have changed what they call the M4e1 upper and you are right you can install whatever handguard you want on it. My upper is what they call the M4e1 enhanced upper now. It uses a proprietary barrel nut and the handguard mount is machined into the upper. To find Aero stuff usually in stock and cheaper than even Aero sells it for look at Schuyler Arms. Their website looks kind of low tech but they are a reputable company and I've bought from them a few times with no issues.

9mm blowback ARs are mostly standardized anymore if you buy a pistol magazine dedicated lower. If you buy a mag block you can use any lower you want. . The biggest hang-up with them is Colt or Glock magazines and the bolt carrier groups you need. They are different. Most bolts are now ramped so you can use stock AR triggers and don't need a special 9mm trigger. My brother bought a PSA 9mm build kit and that is why I decided to do a pistol caliber AR. The 9mm he has is just fun to shoot. I standardized my calibers to .40s&w and .45acp so I went the .45 route. It requires a bigger mag cutout than 9mm so there is a different lower.

When I say the 9mm stuff is pretty much standardized now I mean the specialty stuff needed for the lower is included with it. Mostly it's just the magazine catch. I just used a standard AR15 lower parts kit to complete my .45 lower. The pins, springs, and detents are standard AR15 parts. The buffer tubes and nut are standard as well. Most companies recommend using a heavy (7oz or more) extended buffer or a regular length buffer with a spacer and an extra power buffer spring. I have no clue how piston or Direct Impingement pistol caliber ARs work so if you want to go that route look into Macon Armory. Dude knows his stuff.

If you do decide to do a 9mm Glock lower at some point Elite Tactical Systems (ETS group) makes 30rd magazines that work very well and are usually under $20 each so that is a big plus.
The enhanced upper appears to take away some of the difficult parts of the AR build. And I like that it's more solid. But I think it does limit handguard choices. I have been on Schulyer so it's good to hear they're reputable.

That's good to hear about the pistol caliber ARs. I want to make mine a 9mm carbine. One thing I've read about Colt vs Glock is last round bolt hold open being a problem with one or the other depending on parts used. It's a lot to read up on and learn. And that's part of the reason I want to build my own AR. I love learning new things.

I have no interest in a piston AR at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
I prefer forged lowers personally, for various reasons. If you want/need something different from the standard AR shape and design for your lower, then billet is your best bet. If you're going for a typical AR build, then billet has no advantages, and all other things being equal, is not as strong as a forged lower and costs more money. Some like billet just because it gives the manufacturer more freedom to make cool designs (deviating from a standard AR LR) without paying for new molds and re-tooling for forging. But at the end of the day, we all have different wants. Buy what works for you, for your intended use case, and your budget.

My ARs are treated no different than a ball peen hammer, it's just a tool for a job. I would not hesitate (and have done it during training classes) to throw it on the ground and jump up and down on it. I actually had to do that to convince a buddy he wasn't going to hurt it when he borrowed one of mine to attend a class to decide if he wanted to build one. He was worried about scratching it LOL. If it can't take that kind of treatment, it's not something I'd ever depend on anyway, and I'd rather find out now where the weak links are. I've seen guys show up with some God awful cobbled together cheap BS, that usually fails not far into the class, some even had to drop out because their cheapo wally world shit just fell apart during actual firing (optics and sights mainly), but probably worked fine when being posed for tacticool farcecbook posts.
My guns are not hammers nor trampolines!

This build is either going to be an Aero based tool or a pretty looking, billet range toy.

I have my Radical Firearms AR that's a typical black rifle. It works reliably every time so I have that.

Have either of you ever had a gun Ceratoked? I'm wondering how much of a PITA it is to reassemble a gun after it's been coated. And how does it wear? I had when finishes wear quickly.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:14 PM   #1103
Quarry Creeper

My point was, my guns are tools just like any other tool, and they have an intended use. If they get some wear marks from being used, so be it, it doesn't bother me in the least. I only own a couple safe queens, one that was given to me, and one I built a LONG time ago with the help of a friend/gunsmith that has since passed away. I almost never shoot either of them for different reasons. For where I live, I need something I can drag through the mountain laurel and saw briers and not worry about it getting scuffed up, losing zero from being bumped and jostled, etc. Now for the hunting property in GA, I can have a gorgeous gun if I want, because I can park at the bottom of my stand if I wanted to. LOL
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #1104

Quote:
My point was, my guns are tools just like any other tool, and they have an intended use. If they get some wear marks from being used, so be it, it doesn't bother me in the least. I only own a couple safe queens, one that was given to me, and one I built a LONG time ago with the help of a friend/gunsmith that has since passed away. I almost never shoot either of them for different reasons. For where I live, I need something I can drag through the mountain laurel and saw briers and not worry about it getting scuffed up, losing zero from being bumped and jostled, etc. Now for the hunting property in GA, I can have a gorgeous gun if I want, because I can park at the bottom of my stand if I wanted to. LOL
I understand the "tool" side of the argument. I'm odd. Even scratches on certain tools bother me.

But yeah I do want to build a safe queen/casual range day AR. At this point I'm not sure if that will be my second or third build though.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:06 PM   #1105
Quarry Creeper

I grew up fairly poor at times, so things had to serve a purpose. It's probably why I still have that mentality about certain things, and why on the flip side I bought shit loads of toys for years when I was younger, and still do though much less frequently. I get that side of the hobby also. I frequently go on gun broker and drool over Browning Citoris.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:09 PM   #1106
Rock Crawler

Have had this for about a year now.
About a thousand rounds through it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:27 PM   #1107

Quote:
I grew up fairly poor at times,...and why on the flip side I bought shit loads of toys for years when I was younger, and still do though much less frequently.
Same here!
Old 04-08-2018, 09:55 AM   #1108
Quarry Creeper

Cleaned a few guns this morning. My m70 AK and my mosberg 500.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
seedburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #1109
Quarry Creeper

@JatoTheRipper, I highly recommend the Aero Upper and Lowes. I love the V2 lowers and some of the stuff they have engineered into them. Specifically, the threaded hole for the rear takedown detent. Using a small set screw, you can capture the spring and pin. It's just little things like that that I enjoy. Their fit and finish are quite nice, especially for the money. My biggest gripe is their proprietary uppers, the M4E1 Enhanced that use their handguards. I haven't tried their new M4E1 upper with traditional barrel threading, but it looks nice! I'd give it a shot.

I have a few of their lowers kicking around waiting to be built.

If you wanna get super fancy, I can't recommend ADM upper and lowers enough. Pure sex! I didn't know how much I would like am I controls until I bought one.

And you'll like that Radian CH.
Attached Images

Last edited by slowmethinks; 04-09-2018 at 03:57 PM.
slowmethinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmethinks View Post
@JatoTheRipper, I highly recommend the Aero Upper and Lowes. I love the V2 lowers and some of the stuff they have engineered into them. Specifically, the threaded hole for the rear takedown detent. Using a small set screw, you can capture the spring and pin. It's just little things like that that I enjoy. Their fit and finish are quite nice, especially for the money. My biggest gripe is their proprietary uppers, the M4E1 Enhanced that use their handguards. I haven't tried their new M4E1 upper with traditional barrel threading, but it looks nice! I'd give it a shot.

I have a few of their lowers kicking around waiting to be built.

If you wanna get super fancy, I can't recommend ADM upper and lowers enough. Pure sex! I didn't know how much I would like am I controls until I bought one.

And you'll like that Radian CH.
Thanks for the input! I've actually been in talks with ADM today. Funny that you mention it. I actually like the V1 design better than the new design, but both are nice. Lots of good looking billet options out there.

Who rebranded your Raptor? That's cool.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #1111
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Thanks for the input! I've actually been in talks with ADM today. Funny that you mention it. I actually like the V1 design better than the new design, but both are nice. Lots of good looking billet options out there.

Who rebranded your Raptor? That's cool.
It's not rebranded. They sponsor a competition I'm part of. Cola Warrior. Look it up on YouTube. They have away custom engraved parts for one of the events.

When my daughter was diagnosed with leukemia, ADM made some custom pink scope mounts and donated them for a raffle for her. I acquired one. Having a pink scope mount, I decided she needed a pink rifle to go with it. I was able to buy a pink ANODIZED AR15 receiver set and handguard from them for a good price.

The machining is a work of art. And I shoot it. It's not a safe queen... When she's older, it will be hers.

Also pictured is my 18" Aero set. That rifle shoots 700 and 800 yards without any problems.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmethinks View Post
It's not rebranded. They sponsor a competition I'm part of. Cola Warrior. Look it up on YouTube. They have away custom engraved parts for one of the events.

When my daughter was diagnosed with leukemia, ADM made some custom pink scope mounts and donated them for a raffle for her. I acquired one. Having a pink scope mount, I decided she needed a pink rifle to go with it. I was able to buy a pink ANODIZED AR15 receiver set and handguard from them for a good price.

The machining is a work of art. And I shoot it. It's not a safe queen... When she's older, it will be hers.

Also pictured is my 18" Aero set. That rifle shoots 700 and 800 yards without any problems.
Very cool CH!

I hope all is well with your daughter!!!

I'm not big on pink, but that AR is awesome! What upper are you using with the ADM lower?
Old 04-10-2018, 02:30 PM   #1113
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Very cool CH!

I hope all is well with your daughter!!!

I'm not big on pink, but that AR is awesome! What upper are you using with the ADM lower?
Thanks!!! She is kicking ass. She will be done with treatment in August. It's been about a 2 year road for her. But she's tough as nails, so yeah.

I've never owned anything pink. So when I shoot this rifle, I do it with pride. The upper is ADM as well. It has a Ballistic Advantage pencil barrel, Geissele gas block and muzzle brake, ADM handguard, ADM bolt carrier group, ADM scope mount, and Primary Arms 1-6 scope.

The lower is ADM of course, Geissele SSA-E trigger and Magpul stock and grip.

It's a light shooting rifle. Pink and all, it does it's job well.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #1114
Rock Stacker

My little 9mm Plinker, so accurate and cheap to run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BrokeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:26 PM   #1115
Quarry Creeper

And I just finished getting this together.

It's a perfect example of quality and cost effective. The two most expensive parts on this are the trigger ($240 Geissele SSA-E) and optic ($300 Trijicon MRO).
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2018, 05:54 PM   #1116
Quarry Creeper

Picked up one of the Walmart $99 dollar 22's yesterday, the Savage 62. Threw a $25 scope on it and took it home to shoot.

There was a obvious dirt cheap/why not theme going on here.

Shot 100rds of Federal value pack. Overall impression is it's a functional fairly accurate rifle. The trigger is absolutely horrible and makes it extremely difficult to shoot it to it's potential. I did find that Mcarbo makes a trigger kit for it and have one on order. I've had success with them in the past.

It's no tack driver but for the price tag not a bad shooter. A better trigger should make quite a difference. I was unable to keep a full 10rd mag in the black at 50yds, with that trigger there were always a few fliers.

Below are some pics and the best/last 10rds of the day...

Last edited by RANOVRU; 04-22-2018 at 05:57 PM.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:08 AM   #1117
Quarry Creeper

My uncle made these out files years ago. The man could make anything. I also have a 20 gauge muzzle loading shotgun he made completely by hand. Need to dig it out and get some pics.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:39 AM   #1118
Quarry Creeper

Muzzle loading 20 gauge shotgun.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:49 PM   #1119
Quarry Creeper

My best friend lol.380 mauser hsc

Old 04-29-2018, 06:03 PM   #1120
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedburns View Post
My best friend lol.380 mauser hsc

Love this pistol.

Tags
fire power!, second amendment