Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Gun and knife picture thread!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2018, 11:36 PM   #1161

Default Re: Gun and knife picture thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
I get that, I really do. But on a handgun, I wouldn't want a big heavy tube style red dot. I'd want an RMR, or an RMR footprint sized red dot. Just my opinion though. Most of the ones I've looked at, even the knockoffs like Vortex are $200 + dollars.

Airguns have come a long way since we were kids man. Both my PCP guns are very well made, and feel like firearms.
Yeah I definitely do not want a tube red dot on my handgun. Big, heavy, and they look completely stupid IMO.

RMRs are nice, but they are expensive and the sight picture is smaller than the other brands and the glass is very glue which is odd for such a high end red dot. Why do you call Vortex knockoffs? Everything I've ready about Vortex is great including the products and customer service. I've also read a story about a competition shooter trading in his RMR for a Vortex.

The Vortex Viper and Burris FastFire III can be had for under $200 on sale, but at regular prices they are slightly over $200.

I grew up with a Daisy Red Rider reproduction. That was a spring gun not an air gun. You could watch the BB fly and curve. Once I shot an air gun I was amazed.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 06-30-2018 at 11:40 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2018, 12:05 AM   #1162
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Yeah I definitely do not want a tube red dot on my handgun. Big, heavy, and they look completely stupid IMO.

RMRs are nice, but they are expensive and the sight picture is smaller than the other brands and the glass is very glue which is odd for such a high end red dot. Why do you call Vortex knockoffs? Everything I've ready about Vortex is great including the products and customer service. I've also read a story about a competition shooter trading in his RMR for a Vortex.

The Vortex Viper and Burris FastFire III can be had for under $200 on sale, but at regular prices they are slightly over $200.

I grew up with a Daisy Red Rider reproduction. That was a spring gun not an air gun. You could watch the BB fly and curve. Once I shot an air gun I was amazed.
Not all of their stuff is what I would call knockoffs. But if memory serves (and feel free to dig around and correct me if I'm wrong), Trijicon and Burris were the first to introduce the smaller reflex sights for the handgun market. Eotech had been doing it for years, but in a much larger package designed for long guns. A year or two later, low and behold, lots of companies (Vortex, Holosun, etc) had their version of it. The Chinese are famous for copying/reverse engineering something, then undercutting their competition. Some of the Vortex stuff gets high praise, especially their high end variable power scopes, although they're boat anchors weight wise. I personally would likely go with the Burris.

I had the shitty Daisy model that looked just like the Red Ryder, but plastic stock and forend, and cheap stamped pot metal. I had to work the curve too.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:28 AM   #1163
Rock Stacker

Vortex is an American Veteran owned company. In my personal non professional experience (read I am NOT mil/leo/professional shooter) their stuff is great.

Their different scope lines come from different countries.
The Crossfire line is Chinese made. So are their tube red dots and binoculars.
The Diamondback and Viper lines are made in the Philippines.
The Razor line is made in Japan.

At least that is how it was. It could have changed. I don't know.

I have a Sparc 2 red dot, Sparc AR red dot, Diamondback 4x16, and a Viper 1x8. All of which are lifetime guaranteed and have been flawless. I actually prefer the glass on the Diamondback to my Nikon Scopes. It is on par with my Leupolds.

I don't know where the Venom is made but I would buy one without hesitation if I was in the market. I have a friend who has the Burris Fastfire sitting on top of an AR scope that has been rock solid. He uses it as a close range sight so he doesn't have to look through the scope for anything under 50yds. I would not hesitate to buy a Fastfire either. An RMR would be awesome but I wouldn't be able to justify that kind of money without at least trying one of theses 2 alternatives first.
stevejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:44 AM   #1164
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejr View Post
Vortex is an American Veteran owned company. In my personal non professional experience (read I am NOT mil/leo/professional shooter) their stuff is great.

Their different scope lines come from different countries.
The Crossfire line is Chinese made. So are their tube red dots and binoculars.
The Diamondback and Viper lines are made in the Philippines.
The Razor line is made in Japan.

At least that is how it was. It could have changed. I don't know.

I have a Sparc 2 red dot, Sparc AR red dot, Diamondback 4x16, and a Viper 1x8. All of which are lifetime guaranteed and have been flawless. I actually prefer the glass on the Diamondback to my Nikon Scopes. It is on par with my Leupolds.

I don't know where the Venom is made but I would buy one without hesitation if I was in the market. I have a friend who has the Burris Fastfire sitting on top of an AR scope that has been rock solid. He uses it as a close range sight so he doesn't have to look through the scope for anything under 50yds. I would not hesitate to buy a Fastfire either. An RMR would be awesome but I wouldn't be able to justify that kind of money without at least trying one of theses 2 alternatives first.
Yep, you're spot on if memory serves. I never said their stuff was bad, just that a lot of it is made in China. And I fully believe some of it is reverse engineered clones. The Chinese are famous for this, in RC as well. Some Chinese stuff is great, and some, not so much. And I know some of their red dots don't get great reviews for various reasons. Like most companies, they have multiple price points for their products. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. I'm not telling anybody to go out and spend $600 on a legit Trijicon RMR for a $400 handgun. Just be prepared that a $100 RDS or RMR is going to have some things you may not be completely happy with. Or it might not be acceptable at all, a lot of it depends on your eyes. I know the Vortex red dots I've looked through seem to have more bloom and halo than other brands to me, and some of the red dots the emitter is actually visible when looking down the tube. All of that relates to the materials used, and the build quality and QC, and ultimately price point. None of those flaws are acceptable to me, but I'm spoiled because my first RDS was an Aimpoint. Now that I've had that, I'm not personally willing to go backwards in optical quality. And that sucks for me, because I'm on the hunt for another RDS currently.

Their high end rifle scopes seem to be very, very well regarded. And all their stuff has a lifetime warranty that I know they will stand behind.

At the end of the day, it all comes to down to the same thing it always has; there are a lot of options out there, you just have to figure out what you're willing to spend to be happy.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #1165

Quote:
Yep, you're spot on if memory serves. I never said their stuff was bad, just that a lot of it is made in China. And I fully believe some of it is reverse engineered clones. The Chinese are famous for this, in RC as well. Some Chinese stuff is great, and some, not so much. And I know some of their red dots don't get great reviews for various reasons. Like most companies, they have multiple price points for their products. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. I'm not telling anybody to go out and spend $600 on a legit Trijicon RMR for a $400 handgun. Just be prepared that a $100 RDS or RMR is going to have some things you may not be completely happy with. Or it might not be acceptable at all, a lot of it depends on your eyes. I know the Vortex red dots I've looked through seem to have more bloom and halo than other brands to me, and some of the red dots the emitter is actually visible when looking down the tube. All of that relates to the materials used, and the build quality and QC, and ultimately price point. None of those flaws are acceptable to me, but I'm spoiled because my first RDS was an Aimpoint. Now that I've had that, I'm not personally willing to go backwards in optical quality. And that sucks for me, because I'm on the hunt for another RDS currently.

Their high end rifle scopes seem to be very, very well regarded. And all their stuff has a lifetime warranty that I know they will stand behind.

At the end of the day, it all comes to down to the same thing it always has; there are a lot of options out there, you just have to figure out what you're willing to spend to be happy.

I get what you're saying about reverse engineering. I think that's how all competition starts when a company innovates a new idea. I'm not sure how new the RMR style red dots are, but red dots themselves aren't new. Vortex has a name and reputation. Plus, they looked pretty clear to my eyes with astigmatism. That's why I was leaning towards the Venom and Viper. I was leaning towards the Viper because it looks better to me and was on sale this week for $180 shipped. I'm glad I waited because I got the Venom (auto brightness option and top load battery) for $170 shipped. I think it was a fluke because when I searched for the Venom the results showed it was $199.99, but as soon as I clicked on it the price went up to the pretty normal price of $229.99. They honored the $199.99 price and still let me use today's 15% off coupon. Score!

I also ordered the Maddmac's mount to mount it on my 22/45. The plate wasn't cheap, but the owner responded to my emails in 10 minutes or less. I love customer service like that.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:12 PM   #1166
Rock Stacker

I can verify that both my Sparc red dots have way more bloom than the aimpoint T something or other that my brother has. If I turn the brightness down some it isn't as noticable. I have also read many times that they are good for people with astigmatism like Jato said.

I also learned a trick from watching some videos that helps with the excessive bloom. I moved my red dots as far forward as I could without bridging the handguard/upper. I was so used to using magnified optics I didn't even think about the fact that red dots don't have eye relief to worry about and mounted them rearward like a scope. Moving them forward made them easier to identify targets quicker with and to shoot with both eyes open as well. It is obvious to me now but you do something the same way all the time and you keep doing it I guess.

Anyway according to Vortex's website all their products are manufactured to their specifications over seas. I don't think they are knock off products but some could very well be. That isn't to say that someone isn't selling knock offs of vortex products under a different name. Kind of like some of the holosun/primary arms/sig romeos all being identical on the outside at least. For the money I have in them I am content.

As you have pointed out HPI, it all boils down to what you want out of it, how much you want to spend, and what works best for you. I'd much rather have a bunch of aimpoint red dots but I can get two sparcs for the same price as one PRO and that's a lower price aimpoint

Last edited by stevejr; 07-02-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:19 AM   #1167

Quote:
I can verify that both my Sparc red dots have way more bloom than the aimpoint T something or other that my brother has. If I turn the brightness down some it isn't as noticable. I have also read many times that they are good for people with astigmatism like Jato said.

I also learned a trick from watching some videos that helps with the excessive bloom. I moved my red dots as far forward as I could without bridging the handguard/upper. I was so used to using magnified optics I didn't even think about the fact that red dots don't have eye relief to worry about and mounted them rearward like a scope. Moving them forward made them easier to identify targets quicker with and to shoot with both eyes open as well. It is obvious to me now but you do something the same way all the time and you keep doing it I guess.

Anyway according to Vortex's website all their products are manufactured to their specifications over seas. I don't think they are knock off products but some could very well be. That isn't to say that someone isn't selling knock offs of vortex products under a different name. Kind of like some of the holosun/primary arms/sig romeos all being identical on the outside at least. For the money I have in them I am content.

As you have pointed out HPI, it all boils down to what you want out of it, how much you want to spend, and what works best for you. I'd much rather have a bunch of aimpoint red dots but I can get two sparcs for the same price as one PRO and that's a lower price aimpoint
Even Holosun sights have great reputations. I think it was the AK Operators or something like that did a torture test on one and it wouldn't die.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #1168

I have compiled most of the main parts for my AR-15 build. I'm going with a standard .223/5.56 build. I have to choose a barrel. I'm looking for something pretty - fluted stainless is what I'm leaning towards. I'm also leaning towards .223 Wylde because it seems to have advantages without disadvantages. I don't shoot steel ammo so I don't have to worry about the barrel with that ammo.

I also need a stock that isn't sloppy like my Magpul CTR. Magpul has a good reputation and I'm not sure why. I'm my limited experience (one stock and two sets of BUS) I've had issues with two of the three.

My other AR came with an Ergo grip that I really like and I'm leaning towards that, but I'm open to suggestions to checkout other things.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #1169
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I have compiled most of the main parts for my AR-15 build. I'm going with a standard .223/5.56 build. I have to choose a barrel. I'm looking for something pretty - fluted stainless is what I'm leaning towards. I'm also leaning towards .223 Wylde because it seems to have advantages without disadvantages. I don't shoot steel ammo so I don't have to worry about the barrel with that ammo.

I also need a stock that isn't sloppy like my Magpul CTR. Magpul has a good reputation and I'm not sure why. I'm my limited experience (one stock and two sets of BUS) I've had issues with two of the three.

My other AR came with an Ergo grip that I really like and I'm leaning towards that, but I'm open to suggestions to checkout other things.
I like Ballistic Advantage and Faxon Firearms barrels personally. I know Faxon makes fluted barrels for sure but I believe they nitride all their barrels. Not sure on that though. I have seen stainless barrels on Palmetto State Armory but never looked to see if they are fluted or what chambering they offer.

I have a 1:9 twist .223 Wylde chamber on my 16" and it shoots steel case ammo just fine but I clean it after every range trip. I don't remember who made that barrel though.

Magpul is OK but they are overrated in my opinion. I have pmags simply because they are cheap and their stocks because they are more affordable than Vltor and better looking than BCM stocks. That said I have a CTR stock on my SBR and it doesn't wiggle much at all with the lock in place. Out of curiosity did you happen to buy a mil spec buffer tube and a commercial stock? I am sure you probably know all this but just in case commercial buffer tubes and stocks are larger diameter tubes/holes. You can put a commercial stock on a mil spec tube but it will wobble. The buffer tubes threads are the same so they will fit any lower but mixing them up is easy to do. As for their BUS I have one set of their Mbus PRO sights. They are metal and not plastic. They work well for back up sights.

I have 2 ergo grips I bought on sale and I love them. Got them both from JoeBob Outfitters for the same price as a Magpul MOE grip because of the sale. Figured I'd try them and never looked back.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #1170

Quote:
I like Ballistic Advantage and Faxon Firearms barrels personally. I know Faxon makes fluted barrels for sure but I believe they nitride all their barrels. Not sure on that though. I have seen stainless barrels on Palmetto State Armory but never looked to see if they are fluted or what chambering they offer.

I have a 1:9 twist .223 Wylde chamber on my 16" and it shoots steel case ammo just fine but I clean it after every range trip. I don't remember who made that barrel though.

Magpul is OK but they are overrated in my opinion. I have pmags simply because they are cheap and their stocks because they are more affordable than Vltor and better looking than BCM stocks. That said I have a CTR stock on my SBR and it doesn't wiggle much at all with the lock in place. Out of curiosity did you happen to buy a mil spec buffer tube and a commercial stock? I am sure you probably know all this but just in case commercial buffer tubes and stocks are larger diameter tubes/holes. You can put a commercial stock on a mil spec tube but it will wobble. The buffer tubes threads are the same so they will fit any lower but mixing them up is easy to do. As for their BUS I have one set of their Mbus PRO sights. They are metal and not plastic. They work well for back up sights.

I have 2 ergo grips I bought on sale and I love them. Got them both from JoeBob Outfitters for the same price as a Magpul MOE grip because of the sale. Figured I'd try them and never looked back.
BA and Faxon seem popular for sure. I haven't found a Faxon stainless barrel in my short search. I'll double check.

Any experience with Bear Creak Arsenal, ODIN Works, or Rise Armament barrels? I'm seeing a lot of those on sale right now. ODIN barrels aren't cheap, but they look nice and they come with adjustable gas blocks.

After looking it appears fluted barrels are the heavy profile which I don't want. I want something more light weight for this build.

Nope, I have a MIL-SPEC buffer tube with the CTR. I even mic'd the tube to ensure it was within spec and it is. The stock wiggles when clamped down.

I have polymer MBUS sights. They came on my M&P15-22 and I haven't had any issues. I installed them on my other AR and the front one refuses to popup without a struggle.

The AR I'm building is getting a red dot only. I don't plan on putting BUS on it.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:15 PM   #1171
I wanna be Dave

Jato,
Barrel? Man I just looked and I built mine in 09'. Only have roughly 3k rounds through it but eats anything and still looks brand new.

I personally like the diamond look and stays surprising cool. I'm sure there is better out there with different bells and whistle coating etc but I like mine.

https://yhm.net/bktmb1.html
Attached Images

Last edited by cmbscx10; 07-03-2018 at 01:22 PM.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #1172
Quarry Creeper

Tim, if memory serves this is your only AR correct? If so, I would highly recommend a set of BUIS. All electronics will eventually fail, no matter how expensive they are. Nothing is worse than loading everything up and driving to the range only to have an optic fail. Ask me how I know.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:59 PM   #1173
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Tim, if memory serves this is your only AR correct? If so, I would highly recommend a set of BUIS. All electronics will eventually fail, no matter how expensive they are. Nothing is worse than loading everything up and driving to the range only to have an optic fail. Ask me how I know.
Agreed. Ran my MP plastic ones for a year before I scoped it. Surprisingly accurate to a 100yd even with my sh*t eyes. Unless you go high MOA mounts you can't cowitness them but at least they are there for exactly what you said and sighted in.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:00 PM   #1174

Quote:
It'll be my first AR build, but the second AR that I own.

I take more than one gun when I go to the range. I always have backup!
Old 07-03-2018, 02:04 PM   #1175
Rock Stacker

From seeing a Bear Creek 6.5 Grendel barrel in action I wouldn't buy one of theirs. Maybe their .223 stuff is better but I don't know that I'd risk it. With good ammo that Grendel barrel shoots 6in groups from a rest at 100yds. It was only $59 so the guy figured he'd give it a shot. He's looking at an Alexander Arms barrel to replace it. They also make good barrels and are worth a look.

Can't comment on the other brands because I don't have any experience with them. I do have an Odin works 6.5 grendel BCG waiting to go into my 6.5 build but that's my only experience with that company.

I agree with hpiguy though. I don't like leaving the ability to shoot up to electronic devices. That's why I keep my Mbus pro set in my bag. Just in case.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:09 PM   #1176
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
Agreed. Ran my MP plastic ones for a year before I scoped it. Surprisingly accurate to a 100yd even with my sh*t eyes. Unless you go high MOA mounts you can't cowitness them but at least they are there for exactly what you said and sighted in.
I always buy absolute co-witness mounts just for that reason. Just little things I've learned via formal instruction.

Quote:
It'll be my first AR build, but the second AR that I own.

I take more than one gun when I go to the range. I always have backup!
I had other guns to shoot, but only one AR, and it was down due to a shit optic failing. This reminds me, I need BUIS for my new upper.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:28 PM   #1177

Well I ordered an Odin Ultralite 223 Wylde barrel for $209 shipped. That's the cheapest I've seen anywhere by far. It's not fluted, but it is stainless steel, shiny, pretty, and light weight.

OK so I just got an email from the online store asking me to have my local FFL send their license. I ordered a barrel and a lower parts kit. These items aren't regulated as far as I'm aware. Any ideas?

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 07-03-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:27 PM   #1178
Quarry Creeper

The lower receiver is the only thing that requires an FFL.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:07 PM   #1179
Quarry Creeper

Anybody needing an AR optic and mags you won't beat this deal. If the bolt gun build didn't kill the fun fund, I'd be all over one of these for my new upper.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/vort...magazines.html

Last edited by hpiguy; 07-04-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:55 PM   #1180
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Anybody needing an AR optic and mags you won't beat this deal. If the bolt gun build didn't kill the fun fund, I'd be all over one of these for my new upper.

Thanks for the heads up. Id be all over that if it weren't for those pesky hi cap mags. FU California.

Tags
fire power!, second amendment