Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Gun and knife picture thread!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2018, 05:53 PM   #1201

Default Re: Gun and knife picture thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
You haven't priced a .50BMG recently either, have you. Roughly $10k now average price. There was a deal the other day for $8k. I wish I had bought one years ago when they were somewhat cheap. I could trade it for that midlife sports car I've been wanting now.
Yeah I see them at gun shows. They are usually under $10k for, what I assume is the base model. They can be upwards of $15k as well. I've never looked into them enough to know the difference because I know I'd rather spend that much money on toys that motivate me like that sports care you mentioned.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #1202
Quarry Creeper

I went a little nuts on eBay over the weekend bidding on auctions.
Attached Images

skellyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:32 PM   #1203
RCC Addict

New order from amazon, means a new kershaw knife made it in the cart to! This time it’s s kershaw grid in titanium carbo nitride coated stainless steel handle with a black oxide coated blade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #1204
I wanna be Dave

Default Gun and knife picture thread!

For your 50cal and big(ger) bore needs.

http://www.anzioironworks.com/
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:22 AM   #1205

Smokey Mountain Guns and Ammo must have read our conversation. I got an email just now that Barrets are on sale! You can have a semi-auto BMG for as low as $7,400 and a bolt-action 50 cal for $3,300. What a bargain!

https://smga.com/p-130528-barrett-82...f428-357407941

https://smga.com/p-130533-barrett-13...f428-357407941

Because I'm impatient and I plan to go shooting next Friday I ordered a Vortex Viper on sale since my Venom is backordered until who knows when. This will give me a chance to try both the Venom and Viper side by side. If I like both one of them will go on my Canik TP9SFx that I plan to buy in the future and if I don't like one I'll sell it.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:35 AM   #1206
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Smokey Mountain Guns and Ammo must have read our conversation. I got an email just now that Barrets are on sale! You can have a semi-auto BMG for as low as $7,400 and a bolt-action 50 cal for $3,300. What a bargain!

https://smga.com/p-130528-barrett-82...f428-357407941

https://smga.com/p-130533-barrett-13...f428-357407941

Because I'm impatient and I plan to go shooting next Friday I ordered a Vortex Viper on sale since my Venom is backordered until who knows when. This will give me a chance to try both the Venom and Viper side by side. If I like both one of them will go on my Canik TP9SFx that I plan to buy in the future and if I don't like one I'll sell it.
And only $5 every time you pull the trigger too.

I think you'll be happy with either one, but I'll be interested in hearing your comparison once you have both.

And don't feel bad, I may or may not have had a few too many beers and accidentally ordered the stuff for another build last night. Damn 4th deals are just too good to pass up right now. Yeah, that's what I'm blaming it on.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:41 AM   #1207

Quote:
And only $5 every time you pull the trigger too.

I think you'll be happy with either one, but I'll be interested in hearing your comparison once you have both.

And don't feel bad, I may or may not have had a few too many beers and accidentally ordered the stuff for another build last night. Damn 4th deals are just too good to pass up right now. Yeah, that's what I'm blaming it on.
I didn't know that's what the ammo cost. Holy shiznit!

I think it's like anything. You like what you buy and don't know any better unless you have something to directly compare it to. Only then do you notice pros and cons of them. I'll definitely give an update when I receive them. The Viper from Midway USA shipped already.

Haha! Awesome. Another AR or?
Old 07-06-2018, 07:55 AM   #1208
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I didn't know that's what the ammo cost. Holy shiznit!

I think it's like anything. You like what you buy and don't know any better unless you have something to directly compare it to. Only then do you notice pros and cons of them. I'll definitely give an update when I receive them. The Viper from Midway USA shipped already.

Haha! Awesome. Another AR or?
Actually, it looks like you can get it for about $3.50rd, still pretty crazy.

Yep, that's exactly how it works. You can't appreciate quality stuff if you've never owned any cheap junk. And I'm sure all of us have owned, or still own some cheap shit. I know I still have an old Remington 788 Mohawk bolt gun that I'll post up someday, that's wearing the same Simmons 3-9x40 it's likely been wearing for decades. Shoots lights out, super lightweight, and I'm not messing with it it for sentimental reasons. Both were considered cheap for their time, but have performed flawlessly for decades. So I guess the last couple pages of me seeming like a gear snob, I should have simply said if it's cheap but it's know to be reliable and decent for the money, then that's good enough for most of us.

I'll give you a hint, it's also chambered in .308
Old 07-06-2018, 08:41 AM   #1209

Quote:
Actually, it looks like you can get it for about $3.50rd, still pretty crazy.

Yep, that's exactly how it works. You can't appreciate quality stuff if you've never owned any cheap junk. And I'm sure all of us have owned, or still own some cheap shit. I know I still have an old Remington 788 Mohawk bolt gun that I'll post up someday, that's wearing the same Simmons 3-9x40 it's likely been wearing for decades. Shoots lights out, super lightweight, and I'm not messing with it it for sentimental reasons. Both were considered cheap for their time, but have performed flawlessly for decades. So I guess the last couple pages of me seeming like a gear snob, I should have simply said if it's cheap but it's know to be reliable and decent for the money, then that's good enough for most of us.

I'll give you a hint, it's also chambered in .308
I think cheap products back then were high quality compared to cheap products these days. Companies don't make family heirlooms anymore unless you pay top dollar.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:52 AM   #1210
Quarry Creeper

Very true. I think a lot of it was that back then society in general was based more on principals. And the fact the whole global market thing really didn't exist. So if you sold a shit product, you'd be out of business before long in the US once word got around.

But on the flip side of that coin, there's so much competition these days (at least in the gun market) that when sales hit you can get excellent products for really good prices. Some of the rare stuff like the .50 has went out of sight, but for the stuff most of us run, it's cheaper than ever to get into the hobby. And it's a great hobby that taught me a lot of good life lessons as a kid.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:13 AM   #1211

I had the rare itch to wake up early on Saturday. Normally I sleep in, but I wanted to go shooting. I chose 3 flavors for this trip. My Canik TP9SF Elite, Ruger Mark IV 22/45, and my Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm.

My Canik is still my favorite handgun that I own and I'm most accurate with this 9mm gun by far because of the awesome trigger. The Ruger 22/45 is quickly becoming my new favorite and I'm even way more accurate with this than I am with the Canik. I have some "upgrades" on the way for the Ruger. I've never done any internal modifications to a gun so this will be my first time.

EDIT: On the Shield you can see some red between the mag and the butt of the gun. I designed a 3D printed plug to fill up the hole in the stock. Not necessary, but I wanted to do it and it looks cool IMO.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 07-09-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:25 AM   #1212
Quarry Creeper

I've never seen any of the Ruger MK .22LR series that weren't shooters. And any and all of the bull barrel variants I've shot were tack drivers. I'll likely add another to the stable next year now that they've fixed my biggest complaint about them, the takedown procedure. Glad you got out Tim, I thought about it, but the damn weather here has been terrible for it.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:06 AM   #1213

Quote:
I've never seen any of the Ruger MK .22LR series that weren't shooters. And any and all of the bull barrel variants I've shot were tack drivers. I'll likely add another to the stable next year now that they've fixed my biggest complaint about them, the takedown procedure. Glad you got out Tim, I thought about it, but the damn weather here has been terrible for it.
I'm not a tack driver. I'm not steady at all. I shake like a leaf on a tree in the wind. Plus, I have the bad newbie habit of bracing for recoil and, as a result, I sometimes push the muzzle down as I'm shooting and then I shoot way low. When I first start shooting I'm pretty good. As the day goes on I get worse. Trying to break my habit. I have to shoot a lot more often. I was able to get in 250 rounds of 22LR and 200 rounds of 9mm though.

We have had horrible weather this spring and summer as well. This past week was the first weekend this year I can remember that was nice and sunny both days.

I took off this coming Friday and next Monday. The plan is to get the upgrades for my 22/45 and then go shooting one of those. So it'll probably rain both days.

Oh and I'm not sure which Mark IV you're looking at, but the one I have is on sale for $280 every once in a while. I'd like the Hunter. It's such a pretty gun, but it's tough for me to justify $600 for a 22 especially when there are other guns I'd like before that.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:11 AM   #1214
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I'm not a tack driver. I'm not steady at all. I shake like a leaf on a tree in the wind. Plus, I have the bad newbie habit of bracing for recoil and, as a result, I sometimes push the muzzle down as I'm shooting and then I shoot way low. When I first start shooting I'm pretty good. As the day goes on I get worse. Trying to break my habit. I have to shoot a lot more often. I was able to get in 250 rounds of 22LR and 200 rounds of 9mm though.

We have had horrible weather this spring and summer as well. This past week was the first weekend this year I can remember that was nice and sunny both days.

I took off this coming Friday and next Monday. The plan is to get the upgrades for my 22/45 and then go shooting one of those. So it'll probably rain both days.

Oh and I'm not sure which Mark IV you're looking at, but the one I have is on sale for $280 every once in a while. I'd like the Hunter. It's such a pretty gun, but it's tough for me to justify $600 for a 22 especially when there are other guns I'd like before that.
I was raised around guns, and shooting them. I'm a decent shot, not terrible, but not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I've also had some formal instruction once I got older, and I learned a TON from it even though I went into it with the typical "I've been around guns all my life, this is going to be boring." attitude.

Having done it for over 30 years, I'd say you're well ahead of the curve. Most fail to realize their mistakes. It's human nature, it's really hard to be truly objective about ourselves. You've already acknowledged that as you get tired, your form and technique go first. That's the same for most of us actually.

Are you fairly new to shooting as a hobby? If so, the getting used to the recoil impulse will come with time. Some dry fire practice can help with that also, and you can do that at home with snap caps. Just keep them and your live ammo in separate places so you NEVER get them mixed up. Dry fire practice will help with the shakes too. A lot of that is not being used to holding three or four pounds out at arms length, and trying to be dead steady for an extended period of time. Some light weight training that simulates that will help also.

You've diagnosed one of the problems. So, what I'd do, is once you start to notice this, take a break. It's hot out this time of year, and our bodies burn through more than we may realize. Have a snack, and drink some water or electrolyte drink, not Gatorade as that shit is 90% sugar. Wait 30 minutes. See if that helps, if not, wrap it up and call it a day. You don't want to train those bad habits into muscle memory by continuing to shoot. Better to conserve ammo, and come back on a day you're fresh.

Last edited by hpiguy; 07-09-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #1215

Quote:
I was raised around guns, and shooting them. I'm a decent shot, not terrible, but not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I've also had some formal instruction once I got older, and I learned a TON from it even though I went into it with the typical "I've been around guns all my life, this is going to be boring." attitude.

Having done it for over 30 years, I'd say you're well ahead of the curve. Most fail to realize their mistakes. It's human nature, it's really hard to be truly objective about ourselves. You've already acknowledged that as you get tired, your form and technique go first. That's the same for most of us actually.

Are you fairly new to shooting as a hobby? If so, the getting used to the recoil impulse will come with time. Some dry fire practice can help with that also, and you can do that at home with snap caps. Just keep them and your live ammo in separate places so you NEVER get them mixed up. Dry fire practice will help with the shakes too. A lot of that is not being used to holding three or four pounds out at arms length, and trying to be dead steady for an extended period of time. Some light weight training that simulates that will help also.

You've diagnosed one of the problems. So, what I'd do, is once you start to notice this, take a break. It's hot out this time of year, and our bodies burn through more than we may realize. Have a snack, and drink some water or electrolyte drink, not Gatorade as that shit is 90% sugar. Wait 30 minutes. See if that helps, if not, wrap it up and call it a day. You don't want to train those bad habits into muscle memory by continuing to shoot. Better to conserve ammo, and come back on a day you're fresh.
Thank you for the encouragement!

Yes, I'm new to shooting. I was raised around guns. My dad was in the Army and he always had a couple of guns. He actually got me a BB gun at a very young age. I went everywhere with that thing as a kid and I was a pretty decent shot. I also have lots of family in hunting, but that never interested me. And, for some reason, I never got interested in shooting real guns as a kid. Then few years ago I went shooting with my friend and, again, I wasn't too interested. Then in 2015 I went shooting with that same friend again and I got hooked. Plus, I had been thinking about getting a gun for home and personal protection since this world gets crazier every day. I haven't looked back. Shooting has become my second or third favorite hobby.

I shake sometimes as a side effect from a medicine that I'm on as an adult and now, unfortunately, for life. I do dry fire at times.

I thought about getting formal training. I just want to ensure I get a good trainer that teaches me good habits instead of a wannabe YouTube star that teaches me all the wrong stuff.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 07-09-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:22 PM   #1216
Quarry Creeper

Find some formal matches, and where they're held. Most places that host matches host formal training also.

Cross posting...

More gun stuff. Some for the current bolt gun build, and some for the upcoming I couldn't resist the pull of the July 4th deals any longer build. Oh well, I've wanted a .308 AR for a while now, and damn were there some deals to be had.

Toolcraft nickel boron .308 BCG, mpi tested
Strike Industries charging handle and J Comp
Magpul Pmag 20rd .308 mag
Magpul MOE K2 grip
(other randoms are 10/22 mag, butler creek scope covers, and MK Machine scope level)

And, since I have another build going, I needed another optic. The gun fun fund is pretty low, so I had a pretty tight budget. I've heard really good things about these guys, but a tracking test and time will tell the story. Some of you have been asking about budget optics, so I'll keep you guys posted as I spend time with it.

Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x44

I wanted to keep it as close to what's going on the bolt gun as I could. So that meant first focal plane, illuminated and mil/mil reticle and turrets. Well, I got all of that, plus an etched glass reticle. The only thing it doesn't have, is a zero stop. But, Athlon kindly includes some shims for a sort of zero stop, and even did a how to video on YouTube for it. By comparison, SWFA says if you do this to their scopes, it voids the warranty. Athlon says they'll still honor the no questions asked lifetime warranty. Hell they even threw in a decent set of cheap rings during the sale that I'd use if they were tall enough.

Last edited by hpiguy; 07-09-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:27 PM   #1217
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm not a tack driver.

100% with you. This gun and most of my guns are far better than i will ever be. In 5years we had 3 outdoor ranges close with one being all of 10min form my house due to the CA wackadoos. I would literally shoot every weekend and was getting rather good and did a few months of 3 gun at Pala range here in So Cal. That is some fun stuff to do but oh man did it get expensive. I haven;t shot like i used to in years simply because what is left is hours away from me. Why i turned to air guns.

Like HPI said practice and the correct type of practice makes perfect. TO e it is like riding a bike. Might take me sending a few down range but it all comes back rather quickly.

Quote:

I went in with the intent to get your model (Mark 3 of course) when they were on sale at my LGS. I saw the Hunter on sale for $420 and forgot all about the Bull Barrel. The fluted barrel was the decider. The first 10 take downs i wanted to take a hammer to it and then cut it in half with a plasma cutter. Something clicked on #11 take down and it is super easy now. I think it was that thing they call patience. I would definitely rather have the new one just because.
Attached Images

cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:42 PM   #1218
Quarry Creeper

His commentary is a little over the top sometimes. But he has some skills.
Cool blade.

HyperMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:38 AM   #1219
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'm not a tack driver. I'm not steady at all. I shake like a leaf on a tree in the wind. Plus, I have the bad newbie habit of bracing for recoil and, as a result, I sometimes push the muzzle down as I'm shooting and then I shoot way low. When I first start shooting I'm pretty good. As the day goes on I get worse. Trying to break my habit. I have to shoot a lot more often.
Had to comment on this, agreeing with hpiguy that recognizing the flinch is the biggest step. I used to have inexperienced (and some not so inexperienced) shooters out who would argue with me they weren't anticipating recoil until I handed them a loaded revolver with the third chamber down empty without their knowledge. Once they saw and felt the muzzle head for the dirt after the hammer fell on the empty chamber they stopped denying and started correcting the issue.

I've tried to avoid this thread. I used to shoot any number of my 15 handguns at least twice a week...handloaded all my ammo, set up comps and get togethers with the shop, got birthday cards from the guys at the custom shop...back when I lived in a good place where you could do such things. Another major part of my life the fawking east coast has killed.

Sorry for whine...I'll leave now.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:46 AM   #1220

Quote:
Find some formal matches, and where they're held. Most places that host matches host formal training also.

Cross posting...

More gun stuff. Some for the current bolt gun build, and some for the upcoming I couldn't resist the pull of the July 4th deals any longer build. Oh well, I've wanted a .308 AR for a while now, and damn were there some deals to be had.

Toolcraft nickel boron .308 BCG, mpi tested
Strike Industries charging handle and J Comp
Magpul Pmag 20rd .308 mag
Magpul MOE K2 grip
(other randoms are 10/22 mag, butler creek scope covers, and MK Machine scope level)

And, since I have another build going, I needed another optic. The gun fun fund is pretty low, so I had a pretty tight budget. I've heard really good things about these guys, but a tracking test and time will tell the story. Some of you have been asking about budget optics, so I'll keep you guys posted as I spend time with it.

Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x44

I wanted to keep it as close to what's going on the bolt gun as I could. So that meant first focal plane, illuminated and mil/mil reticle and turrets. Well, I got all of that, plus an etched glass reticle. The only thing it doesn't have, is a zero stop. But, Athlon kindly includes some shims for a sort of zero stop, and even did a how to video on YouTube for it. By comparison, SWFA says if you do this to their scopes, it voids the warranty. Athlon says they'll still honor the no questions asked lifetime warranty. Hell they even threw in a decent set of cheap rings during the sale that I'd use if they were tall enough.
Sweet! Getting fun stuff is always a nice thing to come home to. It make even crappy days better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
100% with you. This gun and most of my guns are far better than i will ever be. In 5years we had 3 outdoor ranges close with one being all of 10min form my house due to the CA wackadoos. I would literally shoot every weekend and was getting rather good and did a few months of 3 gun at Pala range here in So Cal. That is some fun stuff to do but oh man did it get expensive. I haven;t shot like i used to in years simply because what is left is hours away from me. Why i turned to air guns.

Like HPI said practice and the correct type of practice makes perfect. TO e it is like riding a bike. Might take me sending a few down range but it all comes back rather quickly.

I went in with the intent to get your model (Mark 3 of course) when they were on sale at my LGS. I saw the Hunter on sale for $420 and forgot all about the Bull Barrel. The fluted barrel was the decider. The first 10 take downs i wanted to take a hammer to it and then cut it in half with a plasma cutter. Something clicked on #11 take down and it is super easy now. I think it was that thing they call patience. I would definitely rather have the new one just because.
That sucks that your ranges are closing. That's bound to happen here because my little town is becoming a suburb of Philly. All the city pricks are moving in.

That's a sweet gun. I love the fluted stainless barrel. That's why I want a Hunter. That's also why I wanted a fluted stainless barrel for my AR build until I realized those are heavier and I want the build to be lighter than my current AR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMark View Post
His commentary is a little over the top sometimes. But he has some skills.
Cool blade.
Very cool! That reminds me that my girlfriend got me a knife building kit for me that I have to do. I'll post that for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Had to comment on this, agreeing with hpiguy that recognizing the flinch is the biggest step. I used to have inexperienced (and some not so inexperienced) shooters out who would argue with me they weren't anticipating recoil until I handed them a loaded revolver with the third chamber down empty without their knowledge. Once they saw and felt the muzzle head for the dirt after the hammer fell on the empty chamber they stopped denying and started correcting the issue.

I've tried to avoid this thread. I used to shoot any number of my 15 handguns at least twice a week...handloaded all my ammo, set up comps and get togethers with the shop, got birthday cards from the guys at the custom shop...back when I lived in a good place where you could do such things. Another major part of my life the fawking east coast has killed.

Sorry for whine...I'll leave now.
Your post came in as I was responding. Shooting is fun, but very expensive. Why did the East Coast kill it? I thought NC was "redneck" friendly? I mean only rednecks like guns according to the media, right?

I also had "Christmas" yesterday. Here's my haul:

Odin Works 223 Wylde ULTRAlite barrel
Obsidian AR punch set
Hogue SS grips screws for my Ruger 22/45
Strike Industries Enchanced lower parks kit
Lyman trigger pull guage - because I like gadgets and I want to see how much of a difference trigger upgrades make
Brownells hammer - glad it was cheap because it's rough and cheaply made...

And I couldn't resist getting the shiny Odin Works barrel out in the sun for some photos.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 07-10-2018 at 07:49 AM.

Tags
fire power!, second amendment