Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Gun and knife picture thread!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #1321
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Gun and knife picture thread!

I see all sides of the argument to be honest. But, no different than the idiots that carried AR15s into Starbucks years ago and got carrying banned there, there is a time and a place for everything, and a little common sense goes a long ways.

I could open carry here legally, and I live in the country so I'd probably never draw any strange attention (depending on how many tourists and snow turds are around). BUT, my personal preference when carrying a gun (unless I'm in the woods away from people) is to carry concealed. If for no other reason than if anything does happen, nobody knows that I have a gun, and more importantly, nobody knows where it's at.

Our Sheriff's Department actually encourages people to carry. Our sheriff actually wanted this on the sign coming into the county;

"Welcome to XXXX county, home of more concealed carry permit holders than anywhere in NC, enjoy your stay."

The county wouldn't let him do it though.

Last edited by hpiguy; 08-05-2018 at 10:50 AM.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2018, 01:58 PM   #1322
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
@stevejr

You are correct and I do agree. My issue with an across the board gun right is the fact that I know the direction this country is going. If they were to pass this and then there’s a rash of mass murder shootings. What would happen? This is my only concern. I do not trust the society we live in to mass carry arms. Yet I do not worry that every vehicle I pass on a 2 lane road will want to play chicken. I don’t think society is suicidal but are inherently homicidal.
I definitely hear ya on the wrong people carrying guns...but that’s happening already. Granted, if a state gives it the okay, that number may very well jump-which I believe is your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
I see all sides of the argument to be honest. But, no different than the idiots that carried AR15s into Starbucks years ago and got carrying banned there, there is a time and a place for everything, and a little common sense goes a long ways.

I could open carry here legally, and I live in the country so I'd probably never draw any strange attention (depending on how many tourists and snow turds are around). BUT, my personal preference when carrying a gun (unless I'm in the woods away from people) is to carry concealed. If for no other reason than if anything does happen, nobody knows that I have a gun, and more importantly, nobody knows where it's at.

Our Sheriff's Department actually encourages people to carry. Our sheriff actually wanted this on the sign coming into the county;

"Welcome to XXXX county, home of more concealed carry permit holders than anywhere in NC, enjoy your stay."

The county wouldn't let him do it though.
Man...can your sherriff come tell ours that...I’m jealous.
NoobCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #1323
Quarry Creeper

So as I stated in another thread, my PCP air gun has been on loan in GA for a few years now. I found a really good deal, so I picked up another PCP gun, but with a different intended use. I snagged a Crosman Challenger PCP 10m rifle off ebay, with the high end Crosman machined aluminum diopter sights. I picked it up specifically because the gun range I'm in the process of joining does a 10m indoor league in the fall and winter, and I have room to shoot it at home indoors also. It's a lot of fun, great training as air rifles are actually much harder to shoot accurately than powder burners, and you can buy match ammo for pennies.

Anyway, I tore it all apart first thing and went through it.

The bolt has a reputation for eating o rings, and being a terrible and finicky design. It is kind of a PITA to service, and mine had a nicked o ring that I replaced. It's not a deal breaker, just annoying but I can live with it. Oh, see those two tiny ball bearings? Yeah, don't lose those.

Filled, and everything set and adjusted for me so far.

This was a five shot group off a makeshift rest sighting in. With a sold rest, I think you could halve that group size, but I'll take it.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:49 PM   #1324
RCC Addict

Quote:
So as I stated in another thread, my PCP air gun has been on loan in GA for a few years now. I found a really good deal, so I picked up another PCP gun, but with a different intended use. I snagged a Crosman Challenger PCP 10m rifle off ebay, with the high end Crosman machined aluminum diopter sights. I picked it up specifically because the gun range I'm in the process of joining does a 10m indoor league in the fall and winter, and I have room to shoot it at home indoors also. It's a lot of fun, great training as air rifles are actually much harder to shoot accurately than powder burners, and you can buy match ammo for pennies.

Anyway, I tore it all apart first thing and went through it.

The bolt has a reputation for eating o rings, and being a terrible and finicky design. It is kind of a PITA to service, and mine had a nicked o ring that I replaced. It's not a deal breaker, just annoying but I can live with it. Oh, see those two tiny ball bearings? Yeah, don't lose those.

Filled, and everything set and adjusted for me so far.

This was a five shot group off a makeshift rest sighting in. With a sold rest, I think you could halve that group size, but I'll take it.

Now if you get that group size in mm I'll give homage ;)

Oh, I get what the PCP is now...I missed that particular technogical advancement. Nice!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by 2mtech; 08-05-2018 at 05:52 PM.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:06 PM   #1325
Quarry Creeper

Newest acquisition, a beater $150 pump and my first actual shotgun.

Just shot a few shells today as I had other things to do. Center is 00buck and rifled slug up top both at 30yds.

I was pleasantly surprised in just about every aspect of this gun for what it cost. Would definitely recommend if you're in the market for a dirt cheap toss around.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #1326
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANOVRU View Post
Just shot a few shells today as I had other things to do. Center is 00buck and rifled slug up top both at 30yds.
Forged in Fire quote: "Your gun...will kill!"

Just don't drop it in the grass, you'll never find it.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:11 PM   #1327
Quarry Creeper

Did somebody say shotties?

Mossberg 930, polished internals + some Or3gun parts, extended mag tube (6+1), Foursevens Maelstrom weapon light, tritium front bead. Never hiccups, just eats everything you feed it. I've got the 28" barrel for clays and such too. I love this thing.

Stoeger Coach gun supreme, Long Hunter Shooting Supply stainless steel firing pins and reduced tension lever spring. This one has the screw in chokes, so it'll still bust clays just fine.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:41 PM   #1328
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Stoeger Coach gun supreme, Long Hunter Shooting Supply stainless steel firing pins and reduced tension lever spring. This one has the screw in chokes, so it'll still bust clays just fine.

I’ve been eyeing a Stoeger for quite some time. Before Dick’s flipped out they had a stainless one that was reasonably priced. I passed on it like a fool and it was gone a few days later.

These are fun but a PITA to load.

Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:50 AM   #1329
RCC Addict

Quote:

That 930 is sweet! Close combat nightmare on the receiving end.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:53 AM   #1330
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys, the little Stoegers are great with a bit of TLC. Last time we had an informal clay session, I went 23 for 25 with it so I'll take that.

As far as the brutality of shotguns, funny story; the only weapon the Germans every complained about was the shotgun which was used in trench warfare during WW1. They claimed it was inhumane and protested it to the Hague convention commission.

If the Glock and the 930 fail to stop what's coming in the house at night, then my 8.5" .300BLK loaded with 208gr Hornady A Max looks bored.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #1331
Quarry Creeper

Came home from work today and shot 60rds through the Challenger, various pellets trying to nail down what it likes. Oddly enough, the H&N Baracuda match are fairly heavy by 10m standards at 10.65gr, but damn do they shoot. Those would be the top circled target in the middle of the page. There's a flyer there that's hard to see, but the other four were in a .252" group. I should have done this years ago dammit. So much practical practice for pennies a day.

And here's my makeshift offhand rest that's serving as a shooting rest for me. It's my bike work stand. Simulates shooting off the rail of a tree stand, bipod, etc. They sell a dedicated 10m off hand stand for about $100. But this is basically the same exact thing. I cut some foam for the tool tray to hold my pellets (I'll eventually hole punch it for matches) and the magnet holds my front sight inserts should I want to change. I just velcrod a micro fiber towel to the bike clamp for the rest.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:16 PM   #1332
RCC Addict

You guys were killing me with shotgun pics.

Here's my Winchester 1300 12ga. No telling how many dove, quail and cottontails this piece dropped or tumbled during my Arizona tenure, not to mention a bazillion clays. This is the first time it's been out of the case since '99

Who never had a good ol' trusty break open, exposed hammer single shot? This was my son's trainer. New England Firearms "Pardner"

Old 08-06-2018, 06:02 PM   #1333
I wanna be Dave

My first shotgun was a single shot 12 gauge Savage that I picked up at a pawn shop outside the front gate at Ft Bliss, Tx for $35
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:22 PM   #1334
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
My first shotgun was a single shot 12 gauge Savage that I picked up at a pawn shop outside the front gate at Ft Bliss, Tx for $35
Good old Ft Blitz!
Old 08-07-2018, 01:22 PM   #1335

Quote:
(I have my own method for new guns, YMMV)
What is your break-in method for new guns? I'd like to hear from others as well.

I've only owned factory built guns. I clean them, shoot 50 to 250 rounds through them and clean them again. Nothing special. But my AR-15 build should be finished this weekend and since it's a new build I'm open to a new break-in method as the various new parts from different manufacturers wear in together.

I don't own a shotgun yet.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:51 PM   #1336
Quarry Creeper

Tim, my guns are factory guns and barrels also. There is so much stigma online with barrel break in, it's like asking what motor oil is best on a mechanics forum. Ask 10 people and you'll get nine different answers. I used the method from George at GA precision. Shoot one round, then clean. Then shoot a three round group, slowly, then clean. Then shoot it like you're going to for the rest of it's life.

My own cleaning regimen is going to be really hard to go away from now that I'm getting into PRS type stuff. PRS people only clean the ports on their brake, use a chamber brush and remove the carbon doughnut from your chamber, and DO NOT touch the bore until accuracy drops off. Reason being, when you clean, you're removing the microscopic traces of copper and carbon that fill in the high and low spots in the lands and grooves, and it takes a few "fouling" shots to get back to POI. So if you have done a full cleaning (say every 500rds or so for .30, you need to remember to fire a few down the pipe to re "foul" the barrel and get back to POI. The way I was raised, I have a REALLY hard time leaving that shit in my barrel, even though I know it won't hurt it. You can bet once it's zeroed with hunting ammo though, it won't get touched until January.

For your AR, you want it wet, very wet for BCG and charging handle. It'll blow out what it doesn't need anyway and you can wipe it off. But you want plenty of lube while things wear in together, and no dry mating surfaces. Make sure your firing pin has a light coat wiped all over it as well. Not too much there though. But the exterior of the BCG and charging handle should be wet to the touch IMHO.

While we're on the subject; everyone has opinions on gun lube too. For AR platforms, I really like Mobil 1 0w20 synthetic car oil. Yes, car oil. And really, any gun to be honest. Here's why, straight from ARF.com.

1. Direct inpingement gas systems run very dirty and have much higher levels of carbon than piston type semi-auto systems or encountered in bolt guns.

2. The type of carbon and the manner in which it is deposited is very similar to what happens inside direct injection engines, especially those with turbochargers.

3. The operating environment of turbocharged direct injection engines, both gasoline and diesel, is very hostile, involving temperatures that approach 1500 degrees at the oil passageway surrounding the bearings in the turbo. The center shaft being protected by that oil spins at over 100,000 rpm.

4. Those engines run extremely low air to fuel ratios. That means the combustion process is super rich. The oil is much more prone to fuel dilution, and the residue that is left behind is very thick, dark and baked on carbon, if it is not picked up in the oil.

5. There are detergent additives in this type of motor oil that are especially designed to keep carbon deposits from sticking, or make it harder for them to do so.

6. The oil has to last a long time under these operating conditions, at least 3,500 to 5,000 miles. The number of combustion and exhaust cycles in such an engine in one minute of operation is probably more than an AR15 will endure in its entire useful life.

7. The viscosity of the oils, typically 5w-30 or 5w40, is ideal to cling to the parts in our rifles without running off or becoming sticky.

8. These oils seem to prevent or greatly reduce the tendency of nickel-boron BCGs to stain, if you elect to run one.

9.. Even the highest grade synthetics, like Mobile 1 or my favorite (a turbodiesel variation), Shell Rotella T-6, are only about $6 per quart. While that may be expensive for motor oil, it is very cheap compared to the various snake oils offered for our rifles, that may cost that much or more per ounce.

Last edited by hpiguy; 08-07-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:10 AM   #1337

Quote:
Tim, my guns are factory guns and barrels also. There is so much stigma online with barrel break in, it's like asking what motor oil is best on a mechanics forum. Ask 10 people and you'll get nine different answers. I used the method from George at GA precision. Shoot one round, then clean. Then shoot a three round group, slowly, then clean. Then shoot it like you're going to for the rest of it's life.
I appreciate the feedback! I've definitely seen that cleaning guns, like choosing motor oil, is a hotly contested debate!

What "stripper" do you use to clean your guns down to bare metal before lubing? I mean guns and parts come with some kind of lube on them and I typically just use my CLP. In the case of this AR I want to strip some of the parts before lubing them.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:13 AM   #1338
Quarry Creeper

Chlorine free brake cleaner works like a champ for stripping. I like CLP for some things also, I just prefer my chosen gun lube afterwards.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:22 AM   #1339

Quote:
Chlorine free brake cleaner works like a champ for stripping. I like CLP for some things also, I just prefer my chosen gun lube afterwards.
Thanks.

90% of my guns are handguns and on those I use CLP (Ballistol or Hornaday).
For my AR-15 I am using Slip 2000. A sample of it came with the gun. After using it I was a fan and then after doing extensive research it seems to be quality stuff that is well-received. I plan on using that on my AR build.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #1340
Quarry Creeper

Picked up some RWS R 10 pellets today. They shot pretty good, but she still loves the H&Ns. Both are 5 shot groups at 10m.

Tags
fire power!, second amendment