Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Gun and knife picture thread!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #1361
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Gun and knife picture thread!

^^The Browning isn't a bad looking knife, but it's much larger and heavier than I personally prefer for an EDC blade.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2018, 01:20 PM   #1362
Quarry Creeper

So now that I know it should be good to go, I did the first mod on the Tikka by free floating the entire barrel. I know a lot of guys use a dremel, but it's easy to screw up that way, so I took a couple hours and did it by hand with files and sandpaper. Floated all the way to the recoil lug now. I also discovered one of my action screws was slightly loose, so I made sure they got some blue loctite before reassembly.

Old 08-18-2018, 01:27 PM   #1363
I wanna be Dave

On a bull barrel you could use a piece of broomstick wrapped in sandpaper. For the tapered barrels this won’t work so well.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:33 PM   #1364
Quarry Creeper

It is a heavy barrel. But the CTR stock only has one small area of about 2" that it's not floated, so no need to do the whole thing in my case.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:36 AM   #1365

I got some more goodies. Some of these were delivered a while ago, but I just opened them to use them on Monday.

Wheeler Fat Wrench - this thing is cool and very handy. It's nice not worrying about stripping screws! As some of you guys said, gun and gun parts manufacturers are very willing to give out torque specs. Magpul said they don't have one for their MBUS and MBUS Pro sights. That annoyed me since, when I had a problem with my polymer MBUS sights, they insisted I made the screw too tight when I installed them.

The Vortex Venom that I thought I'd never receive and a Real Avid AR-15 punch block. The Real Avid block is freaking awesome! I recently found Real Avid in some internet search and I was impressed by their line of products so I wanted to try something and I chose this punch block first. I wish I had this from the start of my build. It would have make some things a lot easier. It has a magnet built into some spots which is clever. It even has spots on the bottom to hold extra roll pins. The red handle is a screw that is used to put tension on the ejector on the AR-15 bolt. Very hand for assembly and disassembly.

Clymer Go and No Go gauges to check headspace. Not cheap, but it gave me peace of mine that all my parts were compatible. I like my fingers.
Extra crush washers. These don't seem to want to crush much. My vice sucks so I have to go over to my dad's this weekend to install the flash hider and see if those washers do crush.
CMMG spare parts in case I can't find those detents, pins, and springs that go flying.

Wheeler upper vice block set. I borrowed one of these from a guy at work and after using it I knew it would come in handy often so I found one at a good price and got it.

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:43 PM   #1366
Quarry Creeper

There's a lot of nice stuff in there Tim, congrats man. Kinda jealous, as I've never done an upper build. One of these days though.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:04 AM   #1367

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
There's a lot of nice stuff in there Tim, congrats man. Kinda jealous, as I've never done an upper build. One of these days though.
Thank you!

I figured if I was going to build an AR I wanted to built it all. The Aero Enhanced upper made it really easy. You don't have to worry about lining up the gas tube with the nut. It's all self- aligning. So I guess I kinda cheated. But seeing how well it worked I'm not sure I'd ever go MIL-SPEC with a build.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:19 PM   #1368
Quarry Creeper

So, now that I know the Challenger is good to go, I wanted to see how far I could take it accuracy wise. Since I've been getting into long range stuff, and learning of ELR (extreme long range), I'm dubbing this the ESR (extreme short range) attempt.

I started by checking the crown on the Lothar Walther barrel. I expected zero issues with their reputation, and was not let down. Not one hair from the Q tip stayed behind, it's flawless.

So, I ordered some rings, and stole the scope off another air rifle, and got it all mounted up properly.

I then proceeded to shoot some, and some more, and some more. So far, this is my best 5 shot group. Since the pellet is .177in, that's an extreme spread of .116in at 10m. Keep in mind, I have no gun vise, this is being done off of bags the same way I'd shoot my long range powder burners, which is what I'm trying to simulate at least from a fundamentals/technique standpoint.

And just to prove there's no monkey business going on, here's the whole 60 shot string with various pellets. The RWS R 10s being the most accurate so far.

Last edited by hpiguy; 08-23-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:34 AM   #1369

That's awesome! Not to diminish your shooting at all because that's extremely impressive and I couldn't do that if my life depended on it, but I'm astounded that the Q-Tip didn't leave any strands behind! Hell yeah that's amazing fit and finish!
Old 08-24-2018, 08:56 AM   #1370
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Tim, I appreciate that. But I'd say that with modern equipment, and the will to learn, most people could shoot those groups.

I will say though, that when I learned of the whole "three shot groups don't count" thing on the interwebs, my first reaction was; "Well, if I put three in the same spot, how hard is putting two more in that spot?" I quickly learned that for whatever reason, flyers will usually rear their head on the fourth of fifth shot, almost without fail.

I also spent a LOT of time with an air rifle as a kid, and I usually had scopes on them even back then. And my Grandfather taught me a lot of fundamentals as well. I had my first gun (Daisy BB gun) at the age of 5, so I've had a few years to practice. Hell, at this point, I'd like know the dollar amount of BBs and pellets I've went through in my lifetime.

As far as the barrel, Lothar Walther has been around for over 90 years, with many championship and olympic medals to their credit. And the Germans have a long standing history of quality when it comes to engineering and machining. I'd have been shocked had it turned out any other way. It's the biggest reason that I bought what I did vs. something cheaper.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:47 AM   #1371

I grew up with a BB gun, but I always had iron sights. I used to be a decent shot free hand. Now I'm not steady - shake too much.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:20 PM   #1372
Quarry Creeper

Liked the first Dicky so much I bought another with longer barrel and Walnut furniture....

RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:44 PM   #1373
Quarry Creeper

^^There is no such thing as too many pics in here. Very, very nice stuff man. I got to handle an ER Shaw a couple weeks back that belongs to a friend of my Dad's, really nice piece. I'm super jealous of anyone that has local access to more than 100yds. But I plan to fix that early next year, by getting the hell outta podunk.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:14 PM   #1374
I wanna be Dave

@ ART!CUL@TE

How you liking that Howa .204ruger? I think that will be my next bolt action.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:48 AM   #1375
I wanna be Dave

I'm not a huge knife guy, I have a Kershaw Cryo that serves as my EDC but nothing fancy.

But seeing Amazon running a flash sale on these Kershaw Scallions for like 40% off, it was too compelling not to order one.

Looks good, fits my need, and is made in the US; not bad for $26.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:09 AM   #1376
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART!CUL@TE View Post
And another fine rifle from my collection. This is an ER Shaw custom in 6.5-284 that is sporting a Steiner GS3 3-15.

That Shaw is sexy! Love that barrel.

Quote:
But I plan to fix that early next year, by getting the hell outta podunk.
Welcome to the Hotel North Carolina, Randy...you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave........
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:11 AM   #1377

I agree with 2mtech. That barrel really caught my eye as well! Sweet gun!

I finally finished my first AR-15 build this weekend. I had to visit my dad's again to use his vise. My little hobby vise can't withstand the torque needed to install the barrel or flash flash hider and crush washer.

I'm anxious, and honestly a little nervous, to shoot my first build! I checked head space using gauges and I don't think I missed anything so I'm fairly confident it will shoot fine.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:13 PM   #1378
Quarry Creeper

^^Very nice Tim, congrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Welcome to the Hotel North Carolina, Randy...you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave........
Nah, I'm done with it man. It'll always be where I'm from, but it hasn't been home for a while now. There's just nothing here for me anymore, and between that and the archaic bible thumper mentality and other BS here, I've had enough. For the record, I'm also religious. But, I simply prefer modern contemporary churches where there's an actual message that I can comprehend in modern English vs. getting yelled at about what a huge piece of shit I am for 90min every Sunday. I truly hate it here these days, this part of NC hasn't really progressed one damn bit since it was settled. You can have it.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:56 PM   #1379
RCC Addict

Quote:
^^Very nice Tim, congrats!!

Nah, I'm done with it man. It'll always be where I'm from, but it hasn't been home for a while now. There's just nothing here for me anymore, and between that and the archaic bible thumper mentality and other BS here, I've had enough. For the record, I'm also religious. But, I simply prefer modern contemporary churches where there's an actual message that I can comprehend in modern English vs. getting yelled at about what a huge piece of shit I am for 90min every Sunday. I truly hate it here these days, this part of NC hasn't really progressed one damn bit since it was settled. You can have it.
Man, don't give it to me, I couldn't agree with you more and don't want a damn bit of it!

Best of luck getting out of Satan's anus...wish I could but it's too late for me to start over again.

Hell, I just want to go somewhere I can shoot again and have more pictures to post here! :-)

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:09 PM   #1380
Quarry Creeper

Now that you mention it, I think we covered some of that during lunch that day. I swear that feels like six months ago now with how my job has been going man, sorry. I appreciate the kind words, and I won't be that far away, about 45 miles north of Atlanta. And GA is a still a free state. Want a concealed permit? Go to the courthouse and tell them you want one. Want to carry an automatic knife? Nobody gives AF. Tired of paying personal property taxes every year? Pay it when you make the purchase, and never do it again, like it should be. For me, it's just about options though. Mainly career options. I want to be socking away a lot of money into my retirement fund, and I can't do that on the pay scale here in this podunk shithole.

Tags
fire power!, second amendment