Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Gun and knife picture thread!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2018, 09:45 PM   #1381
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Gun and knife picture thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART!CUL@TE View Post
The action is smooth. The barrel is awesome and it is a tack driver. I did not like the Howa trigger. So I swapped it for a timney and never looked back. The Bell and Carlson stock also helped with accuracy. I was able to put 5 rounds inside .61 inches at 100 yards using Hornady 40gr Vmax Superformance ammo. My best advice for anyone, don't skimp on good glass.

I’ve got a heavy bbl Howa .308w and love it. Smoother action new than Paw Paw’s 50 year old rifle. I’ve got a r15 in .204r but just want a bolt action in it...bad.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2018, 06:18 AM   #1382

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
^^Very nice Tim, congrats!!
Thanks, Randy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART!CUL@TE View Post
Nothing to be nervous about. As long as you made sure to tighten the barrel nut, and you do a function check on your FCG, you should be ok. Try putting a few commercial (remington) .223 rounds through it first as they will have a little lower chamber pressure. Also, feed your first round in by hand and then close the bolt. No mag in rifle. This way if for some reason you have an over pressure issue, the pressure has somewhere to go out of the bottom of the mag well. Eyes and ears is a must. Also take it slow, don't go popping off a bunch of rounds. I would shoot 1, then check my brass to look for any stress signs of over pressure. Once you have a handful of brass that looks good, you should be fine. When popping the cherry, run your BCG a little on the wet side. This will lubricate all of your mating surfaces and really help it to break in uniformly. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM, I am always willing to share knowledge.
Thank you! I appreciate the offer.

You guys talking about hating your home - I'm right there with you! I grew up in a small, rural town about an hour away from Philly. We had back yards, farms and lots of land. Well now the rich, liberal, fux that work in the city are moving into new developments and ruining the place. I can think of 6 housing developments being built right now. Main street of our little town is now a traffic jam. I'm even farther our in the country, the cornfield next to me is now a development full of rich trash. My back country road is now a thoroughfare. It's disgusting. The officials must be getting handouts. There is no way the roads let alone the schools can support all this traffic!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:56 AM   #1383
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Man, don't give it to me, I couldn't agree with you more and don't want a damn bit of it!

Best of luck getting out of Satan's anus...wish I could but it's too late for me to start over again.

Hell, I just want to go somewhere I can shoot again and have more pictures to post here! :-)
I was going to say something about how living in NC is great compared to NJ but urban and rural NC are essentially 2 different states so it's more like like we don't really live in the same place at all.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:28 AM   #1384
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I was going to say something about how living in NC is great compared to NJ but urban and rural NC are essentially 2 different states so it's more like like we don't really live in the same place at all.
In that vein, I would rather have a broom handle inserted rectally than a meat thermometer in the eye, but that doesn't mean I'd enjoy the broom handle enough to not want to avoid the experience. I'll allow that rural NC is the broom handle here...I'm just tired of having it up my ass!

Were I up where you are, Derek, I would probably be happier. That's just electrified nipple clamps.

Last edited by 2mtech; 08-29-2018 at 06:12 AM.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:37 PM   #1385
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I'm not a huge knife guy, I have a Kershaw Cryo that serves as my EDC but nothing fancy.

But seeing Amazon running a flash sale on these Kershaw Scallions for like 40% off, it was too compelling not to order one.

Looks good, fits my need, and is made in the US; not bad for $26.
Kershaw makes great stuff, especially their made in the US items. I have quite a few of them. Any time I see a deal on one, I can't resist buying another.
skellyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:41 PM   #1386
Rock Crawler

So finally got to shoot this gun the other day. It's only got 14 shots through it. 5 to sight it in, and these 3, 3 shot groups all 1 MOA or under at a 100 yards. It seemed to like all the ammo I fed it that day (3 types).

Getting ready to load up some 95 gr match kings to see if I can tighten these groups up. Also got a Timney trigger to install.

by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr

Untitled by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:03 AM   #1387

I finally got my AR build to the range. Here's a better photo of it out in the sun. It shot well. It seems a little harsher or more recoil than my other AR, but I'll have to shoot them back to back. Sadly, I only shot 3 rounds because it wouldn't eject the rounds and I didn't have a long enough Allen wrench to adjust the gas block.

So I moved onto shooting my newest toy that I picked up last week on sale. I've always wanted a 9mm carbine and the SUB-2000 has always intrigued me. When I found an M&P version on sale I grabbed it.

A cool thing about it is that it folds in half.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #1388

Have any of you guys put sights on a Glock? I installed a TruGlo Tritium Night Sight on my G43 last night. The front sight is held in by a screw. Even with the screw tight the sight rotates side to side a little bit like there's slop between the side base and the obround hole in the slide. I've emailed TruGlo because I don't see a way of fixing it.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:29 PM   #1389
Rock Crawler

Got my Keystone Sporting Arms stock mounted up today as I wasn't really happy with the Boyde's stock for this gun. Threw on a brake that my buddy gave me, not that the .243 needs it, lol.. I think it looks pretty good now. At least as good as it shoots. Timney trigger is also installed so really want to get this thing to the range and do a ladder test with it and get it dialed in. I also have a .450 bushmaster magazine on the way to replace the crappy stock rotary magazine.

Untitled by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr

Last edited by JDM74; 09-11-2018 at 04:51 PM.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:47 AM   #1390

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Have any of you guys put sights on a Glock? I installed a TruGlo Tritium Night Sight on my G43 last night. The front sight is held in by a screw. Even with the screw tight the sight rotates side to side a little bit like there's slop between the side base and the obround hole in the slide. I've emailed TruGlo because I don't see a way of fixing it.
Little update on this. TruGlo hides a shorter screw inside the cardboard insert in the sight package. Why they hide it there instead of putting it in with the other sights and screws is anybody's guess. But I will happily say the shorter screw tightened up the front sight.

The rear sight pushed on and off pretty easily. A lot different than S&W sights that move about as easily as a tank stuck in cured cement!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I'm on my trek to find my next gun - this time a shotgun.

I’m looking to get a “sporting” semi-auto shotgun to have some fun at the range as well as shooting clay birds with my dad and friends. I do not currently own a shotgun. I want to keep the budget under $1,000 and preferably closer to $500. But I'm not great at sticking to budgets so...

My wants are as follows:

-Aftermarket accessories and upgrades as well as replacement parts
-Reliability
-Light(er) weight

I prefer new over used. Having said that, I saw a Benelli Super Vinci today for under $600 that almost swayed me, but I knew nothing about the gun.

Here are some models I’ve been researching.

Beretta A300
CZ 712 G2
Mossberg 930
Stoeger M3000 and M3K
TriStar Viper G2

Do you guys have any input?
Old 09-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #1391
Quarry Creeper

JDM - Gorgeous rifle sir!

Tim, I don't know why they'd package it that way either, that's a bit odd. I have the 930 field/security combo that I absolutely love to bits. I run the 18.5" around the house with a +3 tube for 7rd capacity, and a pic rail mounted light and added a tritium front bead. I polished all the important internal bits, and have some Or3gun parts, MST, CFR, CSP. It runs like a champ, will digest anything, even light bulk box target loads with no issues as fast as you can fan the trigger. It has NEVER hiccuped, not once. Being a gas gun, it's a soft shooter, even with 2 & 3/4" HV slugs. Remove the extension tube and 18.5" setup, put the 28" on there, and go bust some clays. It was also the only gun in it's price range that had any form of stock adjustment as well, via the included shims. I really dig in when I cheek weld, I get my cheek bone firmly anchored into the comb, as that's repeatable and consistent, for me. I love this thing!

I'll get an updated pic with all the goodies too

Last edited by hpiguy; 09-12-2018 at 08:27 AM.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #1392

Quote:
Tim, I don't know why they'd package it that way either, that's a bit odd. I have the 930 field/security combo that I absolutely love to bits. I run the 18.5" around the house with a +3 tube for 7rd capacity, and a pic rail mounted light and added a tritium front bead. I polished all the important internal bits, and have some Or3gun parts, MST, CFR, CSP. It runs like a champ, will digest anything, even light bulk box target loads with no issues as fast as you can fan the trigger. It has NEVER hiccuped, not once. Being a gas gun, it's a soft shooter, even with 2 & 3/4" HV slugs. Remove the extension tube and 18.5" setup, put the 28" on there, and go bust some clays. It was also the only gun in it's price range that had any form of stock adjustment as well, via the included shims. I really dig in when I cheek weld, I get my cheek bone firmly anchored into the comb, as that's repeatable and consistent, for me. I love this thing!

I'll get an updated pic with all the goodies too
Awesome! Glad to hear it since that combo, which is very cool by itself, is on my radar. The Jerry Miculek edition 930 models are also on my radar. I really like the fact that most of the parts of the 903 shotguns are made in the USA.

I'm a small guy so I will have to fondle one at Cabela's or something. The soft recoil is also nice since I have low mass.

At this point I think I've narrowed it down to a Beretta A300 and a Mossberg 903. Although my dad is trying to sway me towards the CZ712 which he once had. The Stoeger guns I mentioned are also on my radar, but there isn't nearly as much about them out there.

The 930 JM Pro is pretty and I usually don't like Kryptek, but it looks great in black here.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #1393
Quarry Creeper

The JM pro is geared towards 3 gun stuff, and not busting clays. Might not even meet the barrel length requirement at some ranges either. You just gotta decide if you want a go fast shotgun, HD shotgun, or something for all around or combo use with multiple barrels. Once you decide what your needs are, then you can better decide what to spend the money on. One of my buddies has a JM pro, and in informal skeet sessions, he's right there with me.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #1394

Quote:
The JM pro is geared towards 3 gun stuff, and not busting clays. Might not even meet the barrel length requirement at some ranges either. You just gotta decide if you want a go fast shotgun, HD shotgun, or something for all around or combo use with multiple barrels. Once you decide what your needs are, then you can better decide what to spend the money on. One of my buddies has a JM pro, and in informal skeet sessions, he's right there with me.
Wait, you're telling me I can't have everything?!

I definitely want a longer barrel than the 24" on the JM. But I guess I could always add a barrel to that gun if I wanted.

As I said, I think I've narrowed my choice down to one of the Mossberg 930 iterations or the Beretta A300. After reading more last night I've discovered the A300 has more adjustability and is probably lighter. Both could be good for me. Time to go to a store and grab hold of some of them.

Lots of people swear by the Franchi Affinity and Weatherby SA-08 as well, but I haven't put them on my radar really.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #1395
RCC Addict

Better to go with the Mossberg than a higher end manufacturer's low end entry level stuff like the Franchi or the Weatherby I would expect. Mossberg is a workhorse.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:18 PM   #1396
Quarry Creeper

The JM pro is fine, I'm sure. I'm just not big on guns branded from a person. Even if that person is a pro shooter. I'm weird like that. The A300 was the other gun in the running for me actually. Fine guns from my research, at least they were a few years ago. For a semi auto, I'd stay away from anything under the 930 price point personally, but to each their own. I know guys that swear by the new Stoegers, it's got Benelli guts in it, etc. Meh, if I want that, I'd just save up and get the real thing.

So, actually got off work at normal time for once and I've been working on a solution for a more stable indoor shooting bench for the air rifle. I have a nice portable shooting bench, but it's a big and heavy bastard, and I'm not lugging it in and out all the time. So, I went to sLowe's after work and picked up a piece of 1/2" something or other (honestly don't know or care, just looked for the smoothest finish), put that atop a storage container, atop my little work table and ratchet strapped it all together. Once I'm anchored into the gun with my weight on it, it's pretty damned decent I gotta say. Cost me $9, and easy to break down and put away when I'm done shooting.

And of course, had to shoot a few groups to try it out. As usual, 5 in each target.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:23 AM   #1397

Quote:
The JM pro is fine, I'm sure. I'm just not big on guns branded from a person. Even if that person is a pro shooter. I'm weird like that. The A300 was the other gun in the running for me actually. Fine guns from my research, at least they were a few years ago. For a semi auto, I'd stay away from anything under the 930 price point personally, but to each their own. I know guys that swear by the new Stoegers, it's got Benelli guts in it, etc. Meh, if I want that, I'd just save up and get the real thing.

So, actually got off work at normal time for once and I've been working on a solution for a more stable indoor shooting bench for the air rifle. I have a nice portable shooting bench, but it's a big and heavy bastard, and I'm not lugging it in and out all the time. So, I went to sLowe's after work and picked up a piece of 1/2" something or other (honestly don't know or care, just looked for the smoothest finish), put that atop a storage container, atop my little work table and ratchet strapped it all together. Once I'm anchored into the gun with my weight on it, it's pretty damned decent I gotta say. Cost me $9, and easy to break down and put away when I'm done shooting.

And of course, had to shoot a few groups to try it out. As usual, 5 in each target.
Rest looks good!

You shoot your air guns indoors at your house? Love the checkered floor BTW. My 50's loving uncle had that in his basement/arcade/jukebox room (he used to rebuild and sell old school Wurlitzer jukeboxes) and I've loved it ever since.

I'm going to stick to some kind of lower to mid range price for my first shot gun. If I was going to go over $1,000 for a real Benelli I'd have to go all the way and get something that looks bad ass (to me) like this Benelli Performance Shop shotgun.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #1398
Quarry Creeper

Yep, I'm shooting indoors, but again, this is a 10m olympic rifle that is designed just for that purpose. Low velocity, but super accurate. Shooting indoors eliminates just about everything but the shooter as well. It's quickly become one of my favorite guns in my collection.

LOL, everyone loves the floor but me. The damn linoleum has a texture to it that traps everything, and is a royal PITA to keep clean. I like the colors, but the texture screws it all up. I'm all about easy to keep clean so I have more time for fun things.

Meh, I'm just not into the whole blinged out race gun thing. And I don't shoot competitions so have no need for one anyway. If I were spending that kind of coin, a nice O/U with gorgeous wood is at the top of my list. But, to each their own.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:52 PM   #1399

Quote:
Yep, I'm shooting indoors, but again, this is a 10m olympic rifle that is designed just for that purpose. Low velocity, but super accurate. Shooting indoors eliminates just about everything but the shooter as well. It's quickly become one of my favorite guns in my collection.

LOL, everyone loves the floor but me. The damn linoleum has a texture to it that traps everything, and is a royal PITA to keep clean. I like the colors, but the texture screws it all up. I'm all about easy to keep clean so I have more time for fun things.

Meh, I'm just not into the whole blinged out race gun thing. And I don't shoot competitions so have no need for one anyway. If I were spending that kind of coin, a nice O/U with gorgeous wood is at the top of my list. But, to each their own.
Sounds fun!

And I hate wood. Like you said, to each their own.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:10 PM   #1400
Quarry Creeper

Oh man, I'm a sucker for a nice O/U with gorgeous wood. One of the few still on my list.

Last edited by hpiguy; 09-14-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Tags
fire power!, second amendment