Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Gun and knife picture thread!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #1081

Default Re: Gun and knife picture thread!

My flashlight is a Thrunite Ti3. It's cheap as hell, bright, battery lasts forever, and has a reversible clip so I can turn it around and clip it to my hat for hands free visibility. I have no need for any other EDC light.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2018, 05:44 PM   #1082
Quarry Creeper

I have a few EDC lights, and Foursevens Quark AA is still my go to EDC. Puts out about 160lm on a 14500 lithium cell. You can clip it to your hat without monkeying with the clip. I've had it for about 8 years now I guess.

I've never really liked the action on my Spyderco Delica Wave, or for that matter, pretty much all spine locks in general. So I tore into it, gave it a good cleaning, some polishing of parts that move/rub, and reassembled and lubed it. Happy to say it will Spydey flick now.

Also, tied up little lanyard for the F3 (Ferrum Forge Falcon). Never done one before, but I kinda like it. Knife is loosening up and growing on me some too. It's just so damned close to perfection for me that the little things add up and bug the shit out of me about it. A little too short, a little rough around the lanyard hole cutout on the frame (I'll fix that somehow), and I worry about the known to be flimsy pocket clip too. I feel like I have to be more careful than I should be because of the shit clip design, and that's one thing my EDC knives can't have is something that makes me second guess it. Anywhoo, just my thoughts on it so far, on to the pics.

Last edited by hpiguy; 02-07-2018 at 05:50 PM.
hpiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:59 AM   #1083

Sad news. Browning is stopping production of the Hi Power pistol.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...oduction-ends/

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:41 AM   #1084
Rock Crawler

Sad about the Browning, its actually a sweet gun.

Or at least it is for a person getting one and not really have much chances of trying anything else as handguns are and always have been a big NO - NO where he live.

Almost liked it as much as the M 1911.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:34 AM   #1085

Ruger Mark IV 22/45

I don't have a 22 pistol and this thing was on sale for $279 so I couldn't pass it up. I shot it Saturday and it is a ton of fun.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:11 AM   #1086
I wanna be Dave

Very nice, with the bull barrel option... Always liked those little plinkers... Assassin specials!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #1087
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Very nice, with the bull barrel option... Always liked those little plinkers... Assassin specials!
Very nice JTR. The Mark 4 is on the list as the next buy.

I have the Mark 3 Hunter and the first 2 or 3 times field stripping it I wanted to hit myself over the head with it or use it as a hammer. Now I can nearly do it blind folded. My M3H is the most fun pistol I have. Never thought my 1911 would loose the throne but under 25yrds it is ridiculously fun. Out to 50yrd on a 4" steel plate it's is surprisingly accurate with open sights. I'll 2-3x red dot it later and learn how ot reload it faster but damn fun.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:54 AM   #1088
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Ruger Mark IV 22/45

I don't have a 22 pistol and this thing was on sale for $279 so I couldn't pass it up. I shot it Saturday and it is a ton of fun.

Very cool! My best friend and I where just talking about those for plinking, 3 days ago!
I looked into getting a 22 conversion for my G26, as well..

Speaking of.. still have that G43?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #1089
Rock Crawler

Here is my small collection:

Savage 93R17. Boyde's stock, Leupold VX-3 4.5-14X. My fun gun.

Untitled by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr

CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62x39, Bushnell 3500 scope. An accurate gun that shoots 7.62x39!

Henry Lever Action .45-70. This gun makes me giggle.

Ruger American Predator in .243 Win. Bushnell Engage, 6-18X. Boyde's stock. My most recent purchase, hopefully the tack driver it is supposed to be. Waiting on the weather to get better before I take it to the range.

JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:04 PM   #1090

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Very cool! My best friend and I where just talking about those for plinking, 3 days ago!
I looked into getting a 22 conversion for my G26, as well..

Speaking of.. still have that G43?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Thanks!

And I do. Can't tell you the last time I touched it though.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:02 PM   #1091
Quarry Creeper

Damn, I'd give $279 for that all day long. Nice score!
Old 03-21-2018, 11:03 AM   #1092
RCC Addict

My new EDC since I somehow lost my SOG...

CRKT Moxie

canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:37 PM   #1093
Quarry Creeper

^^Did you post that on Reddit yesterday? If not, someone posted one just like it.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:40 PM   #1094
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
^^Did you post that on Reddit yesterday? If not, someone posted one just like it.
Nope, I'm not on Reddit. I got the knife in January, only took the pics this morning.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:34 PM   #1095

The first part of my first AR-15 build. Odd part to start with I guess, but it was on sale!

I'm having a hard time deciding on a receiver set. That's the major hold up. I kind of want the Sharps Bros The Jack V2, but I'm also looking at other billet sets. Or I could get the more inexpensive and less flashy route by getting an Aero Precision set. This will be my first AR-15 build, but my second AR-15 that I own.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:31 AM   #1096
Rock Stacker

I have 3 raptors. One of them says AXTS though because they made them before Radian. I also have a Griffin SN-ach. They are all very nice. I like ambi charging handles so getting one on sale is a nice way to start a build.

I have 3 Aero sets and I like them. Two of them are regular M4 sets and one is their M5 set (.308 build). I also have an M4e1 upper on a Spikes Tactical lower. The downside to the M4e1 is you are somewhat limited on handguards by the built in handguard mount.

For the prices on those specialty billet sets I'd just buy 2 or 3 Aero sets. If you are set on billet lowers I've seen Mega recommended many times. I just bought a New Frontier Armory billet .45acp/10mm Glock mag lower and slick side upper that are very nice. You could check them out for their C4 billet lower for $120. If it's as nice as my C45 lower I'd buy it in a second at that price.
stevejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:43 AM   #1097

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejr View Post
I have 3 raptors. One of them says AXTS though because they made them before Radian. I also have a Griffin SN-ach. They are all very nice. I like ambi charging handles so getting one on sale is a nice way to start a build.

I have 3 Aero sets and I like them. Two of them are regular M4 sets and one is their M5 set (.308 build). I also have an M4e1 upper on a Spikes Tactical lower. The downside to the M4e1 is you are somewhat limited on handguards by the built in handguard mount.

For the prices on those specialty billet sets I'd just buy 2 or 3 Aero sets. If you are set on billet lowers I've seen Mega recommended many times. I just bought a New Frontier Armory billet .45acp/10mm Glock mag lower and slick side upper that are very nice. You could check them out for their C4 billet lower for $120. If it's as nice as my C45 lower I'd buy it in a second at that price.
I saw an AXTS Raptor for sale. I also bought it for the sake of nostalgia, but I didn't because this Radian version was cheaper.

I like the enhanced upper. It seems like it makes assembly a lot easier and that would be good since I've never built an AR before. I thought you could use other handguard as long as you bought Aero's special nut? I'm not sure. I haven't looked into it too much. I might go with Aero first, but it's so hard to find their stuff in stock.

I'm not a fan of the look of the Mega billet sets. They're pretty plain and boring especially for the price. The reason I'd go for billet is for the cooler and more intricate designs like The Jack, Radian, ATX, Zev, etc.

I'd love a 9mm at some point. It seems like there can be parts compatibility issues among different brands though. Is that correct?
Old 04-06-2018, 07:43 AM   #1098
Rock Stacker

Apparently they have changed what they call the M4e1 upper and you are right you can install whatever handguard you want on it. My upper is what they call the M4e1 enhanced upper now. It uses a proprietary barrel nut and the handguard mount is machined into the upper. To find Aero stuff usually in stock and cheaper than even Aero sells it for look at Schuyler Arms. Their website looks kind of low tech but they are a reputable company and I've bought from them a few times with no issues.

9mm blowback ARs are mostly standardized anymore if you buy a pistol magazine dedicated lower. If you buy a mag block you can use any lower you want. . The biggest hang-up with them is Colt or Glock magazines and the bolt carrier groups you need. They are different. Most bolts are now ramped so you can use stock AR triggers and don't need a special 9mm trigger. My brother bought a PSA 9mm build kit and that is why I decided to do a pistol caliber AR. The 9mm he has is just fun to shoot. I standardized my calibers to .40s&w and .45acp so I went the .45 route. It requires a bigger mag cutout than 9mm so there is a different lower.

When I say the 9mm stuff is pretty much standardized now I mean the specialty stuff needed for the lower is included with it. Mostly it's just the magazine catch. I just used a standard AR15 lower parts kit to complete my .45 lower. The pins, springs, and detents are standard AR15 parts. The buffer tubes and nut are standard as well. Most companies recommend using a heavy (7oz or more) extended buffer or a regular length buffer with a spacer and an extra power buffer spring. I have no clue how piston or Direct Impingement pistol caliber ARs work so if you want to go that route look into Macon Armory. Dude knows his stuff.

If you do decide to do a 9mm Glock lower at some point Elite Tactical Systems (ETS group) makes 30rd magazines that work very well and are usually under $20 each so that is a big plus.

Last edited by stevejr; 04-06-2018 at 08:04 AM.
stevejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:51 AM   #1099
Quarry Creeper

I prefer forged lowers personally, for various reasons. If you want/need something different from the standard AR shape and design for your lower, then billet is your best bet. If you're going for a typical AR build, then billet has no advantages, and all other things being equal, is not as strong as a forged lower and costs more money. Some like billet just because it gives the manufacturer more freedom to make cool designs (deviating from a standard AR LR) without paying for new molds and re-tooling for forging. But at the end of the day, we all have different wants. Buy what works for you, for your intended use case, and your budget.

My ARs are treated no different than a ball peen hammer, it's just a tool for a job. I would not hesitate (and have done it during training classes) to throw it on the ground and jump up and down on it. I actually had to do that to convince a buddy he wasn't going to hurt it when he borrowed one of mine to attend a class to decide if he wanted to build one. He was worried about scratching it LOL. If it can't take that kind of treatment, it's not something I'd ever depend on anyway, and I'd rather find out now where the weak links are. I've seen guys show up with some God awful cobbled together cheap BS, that usually fails not far into the class, some even had to drop out because their cheapo wally world shit just fell apart during actual firing (optics and sights mainly), but probably worked fine when being posed for tacticool farcecbook posts.

Last edited by hpiguy; 04-06-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #1100
Pebble Pounder

A few of my Rugers and 1 of my lever guns. I have a few more hiding in that safe.

I also picked up another Vaquero this monday. A 3.75" Talo exclusive Birds head. Will take a pic sometime later and add it. If anybody cares about boring old single actions.

This is what it looks like.

Last edited by Correll; 04-30-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Correll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire power!, second amendment