Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Dodge ram help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Dodge ram help

hope some of you fellow mopar guys can help.I have a 200 dodge ram 1500 short bed with the 360 motor.I was wondering if I could put 3500 coil springs and shocks in the front and add a couple leavs in the back.would like to beef up the suspension shes starting to sag espesially when I got the plow on.It is a work truck and I am not to concernd on the smoothness of the ride.Im hoping every thing could just be swaped out with no modification thanks
S ARR T 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

short answer... yes. Long answer, you will most likely need to change the coil buckets since the 3500 springs have a larger diameter. The rear springs are also wider so you will need to use 1500 add-a-leafs.

Though not junkyard cheap, they do make a heavy duty spring kit for the 1500's that run plows. Most Mopar dealers sell a version and you can find aftermarket ones.

I had a '99 ram and considered similar (I didnt have a plow) but, made the right choice and traded it in.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I aint traden mine in love my truck love my mopars espesially the go fast oneThanks for the reply are the spring buckets bolted on?I was planning on hitting the junk yard for the spring sure I could get some buckets there also.As far as the leafs I was going to take the truck to elgin spring they would add as many leafs as needed and also rearch the original ones gotta get going on this winters comming.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I couldnt tell you, its been way tooo long. I know the lower bucket is welded/cast but the upper bucket is the one of concern.

Just an idea... Pull the axles out of the 3/4 or 1t and swap them in the 1/2 t. Its an easy swap and you'll get better gear ratios and dana 60 rear, 44 or 60 front (dep on the model you pull from) and maybe rear locker.

The draw back is you will need new wheels. But if your going to be plowing, I would rather have heavy running gear than the weak 1/2t stuff.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

The coil springs on the front are the same diameter, direct swap. You'll gain a few inches of lift, ~4" typically. As mentioned on the rear, the 2500/3500 leaf springs are wider than 1500 springs. Please get new u-bolts, they stretch and are only to be used once. You shouldn't run into any issues with brake line length at that height, however that is the max the front control arms as well as the rest of the front end geometry likes to be stretched. Not a bad idea to do a drop pitman arm at the very least.

As mentioned, swapping the D60/70 in is always a great alternative. I have done it on my 97, very easy direct bolt in. You will need driveshaft modifications though, the rear must be shortened, and the front can fit but should be modified as well. Another concern is regarding the brakes. Around 99-00 they switched to double pistons up front, and also if you have front ABS now you need a D60 with front ABS. The rear D60 or D70 (depending if its out of a 3/4 or 1 ton, can get a D80 out of the manual cummins too) can be swapped to disk brakes very easily as well, if you are against drums.
Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

you sure he will need to shorten the rear? If he is raising it 4" I would think that would make up for the added length of the input.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
you sure he will need to shorten the rear? If he is raising it 4" I would think that would make up for the added length of the input.
The differential on the D60 or D70 is significantly larger than the 9.25 that is in there currently. With the lift it may be close, however I do believe it will need to be shortened. Either way, he will need to have the yoke changed (meaning it will have to be cut anyway), the U-joints are drastically larger on the bigger axles. It is possible to use the driveshafts off the donor vehicle (assuming the OP has the same cab layout) if the half ton NP231 t-case is swapped out for the NP241 found in the in 2500 and 3500s. When I did my swap I did not lift the truck any extra, I have 6" of suspension lift and swapped a D70 into the rear, my rear driveshaft is a few inches shorter than it was before (same one used stock and at 6" of lift). For my front shaft, I have a custom one as well as my stock one, both work however I only carry my stock one as a backup in case I break/bend the other one. With the stock shaft I can not compress my suspension fully without running out of travel on the slip, not really an issue unless you beat the truck or get into extreme offroad situations, which it sounds like the OP does not.

Either way, the driveshafts is a cost that needs to be brought up, to have the shafts cut and balanced usually is around $2-300. Axle swaps get expensive fast, even direct bolt ins like this. However, if you are interested in re-gearing the truck ever, you can usually find a set of tons with the gears you want to swap in for cheaper than the re-gear costs...at least I did. I have 4.88s with detroit lockers for less than a regear would have cost on the half ton axles...and I have stronger/better brakes now to boot!

EDIT: In short, to answer the original question...the coils and shocks can be swapped with minimal modification and the rears can be replaced and upgraded with an add-a-leaf or bought as a new "lift leaf pack" to compensate for the new ride height in the front. New control arms are recommended but not neccessary and the brake lines will be OK at that lift. Do realize though that the coils will lift the vehicle a few inches.

Last edited by Ramination; 10-19-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

this is actually good info for me... I have been kicking around teh idea of a foolsized truggy for a while and since the ram is the only 1/2t with a straight axle...
Old 10-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

If you can find a regular cab short bed 1500, that would be the best. If rockcrawling is in the future, I'd stay short arms, otherwise go long arms. 4-link the rear and swap a D60 in front, D70 out back with some lockers (or even welded diffs) and some 40s or 42s and you are going to have a very capable rig. Upgrading to the NP241 t-case (due to it having 6 planetary gears and being stronger) also is worth the effort; pair it with a 205 and you'll have dual cases with the ability to do digs 4 linking the front is a lot of work, and will be very hard to do while keeping the COG low. Plus at the point you've lost the whole benefit of starting with the dodge axles...might as well get a kingpin (for the lack of ball joints...and lack of unit bearing assemblies).

If I was going to do it over again I'd start with a Jeep or FJ cruiser (I love them for some reason) and swap in a Ford 60 and 14 bolt. The Dodge D60 is a great swap for dodge trucks because it is a direct bolt in, but for anything else I'd start with a kingpin axle...they are superior for offroading for a reason. Also, the 14 bolt becuase it is more popular and can easily be shaved...many kits for it to give back the ground clearance you lose with such a huge differential.

Some sliders, coilovers front and rear and beat the hell out of it...don't forget the internal cage too...if not a full exo. Damn it gets expensive fast.

Thread jack over.

Last edited by Ramination; 10-19-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

we dont have much in the way of rock around here... More mud and dirt trails. My thought had originally been a 78-79 bronco with a f150 cab but, hard to get ahold of 78/79 broncos. Thats when I got dropped onto the rams. I was thinking flat tube bed and 3/4-1ton driveline on 38" tires. Something I can use around the farm or still road drive if I had to.

Around here, reg cab rams are easy and cheap to come by. If you dont mind some rust they are dang near free.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

For what your looking for, I think a Ram would be a great direction to go in, plus it'd be easy to build a honcho to replicate it 38s aren't overdoing it for stock tons either, upgraded shafts and whatnot aren't really necassary until around 42s IMO. I run 38" TSLs on my stock tons with no issues, truck did DD duty as well as weekend wheeler up until this summer when I bought a Cummins to tug it around

Plus, another benefit of the dodge D60 is that you can weld the front diff and use the CAD to work as a selectable locker.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

thanks for the replys guys alot of info hope to have the swap done soon befor the snow flysI love my dodge would have bought a 3500 but at the time only had cash for the 1500 it is my first brand new vehical I have ever ownd.Would love to do some half doors a build a truggy but the truck makes me money