Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Can we talk about guns here??? if so , please look...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2004, 12:22 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Can we talk about guns here??? if so , please look...

I am looking to purchase a new gun, I am looking for a Desert Eagle, I was wondering if you legally purchase guns over the internet from authorized dhops or whatever?? does anybody know anything about this... I know out here in cali, buying it legally will cost anywhere from a $1000-$1300 .. I was wondering if they would b epriced differently in other states...

Thanks for any info???

Mods- If this is inappropriate please delete..and im sorry for posting this...
86ss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2004, 12:39 PM   #2

Default Re: Can we talk about guns here??? if so , please look...

I dont believe you can purchase guns over the internet unless you are a dealer. Im sure its for the background checks and other legal issues.
mx721suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 02:31 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86ss1
Mods- If this is inappropriate please delete..and im sorry for posting this...
Seems fine to me. I have no issues with guns as long as they are in the hands of a intelligent person with a decent amount of common sense...

From what I know guns are cheaper outside of CA.
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 02:45 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Just curious why a Desert Eagle? They really aren't a good purchase. There are many other handguns out there that are way more bang for you buck. No pun indended.

Oh and what caliber are looking at?
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 02:54 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

i believe u can buy them over the net. but u have to have them sent to ur local gun shop or pawn shop. the hold on to it until they have ur background checked. im not exactly sure on all of this but this is how it works as far as i know.
fuzzhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 03:32 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

WHy a desert eagle??? I dunno.. Ive always liked them... I am looking at the .50 cal. .. I guess I just want a hand cannon for home protection.. I have my ruger .45 already..as if thats not enough protection... I have always appreciated nice guns... I dunno... might chop it up to an impulse buy... What else is out there?? I think my wife might have a heart attack if I brought home a gun that big...lmao... I wouldnt mind a nice 9mm also...

any suggestions....

as far as responsibility...I always keep my gun under lock and key, and I always have the key on me... Ive had my rug for maybe 3 yrs now and I have only had maybe 100-150 rounds through it...
Old 12-12-2004, 12:48 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

my choice for home defense would be The Defender Shotgun .

I sold my S&W 9mm but really liked the way it shot.
Still have my Glock Model 23 40cal and wont be getting rid of it.

If you havent seen it yet take a look at the Smith and wesson SW99.
And if money isnt a big issue, Look at a Kimber , That will be my next Firearm puchase. ( I Hope )
rindaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 12:56 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzhead
i believe u can buy them over the net. but u have to have them sent to ur local gun shop or pawn shop. the hold on to it until they have ur background checked. im not exactly sure on all of this but this is how it works as far as i know.
This is mostly right. You have to have Your local FFL licensed gun shop, pawn shop whatever ( check first some wont do transfers) send a copy of their permit signed in ink to the other gun shop you bought the gun from (or is doing the shipping) once your local gun shop gets your gun you go down there pay for all the transaction fees and start your background check paperwork and waiting period (10 days in CA). After that you go get your gun. There are also a few other laws like if you dont have a gun safe you MUST purchess a gun lock before you leave the store with the gun.... One word of warning! When buying a firearm outside of california MAKE SHURE it has passed the new droptests since california is the strictest of states, the other ones (the guy you are buying the gun from) will not know if it is legal here or not!! Your gun will show up and you cant have it here so it gets sent back and well big headache! I am an avid collecter if you havent gotten that impression already. I currently have 13 pistols and rifles mostly WWII items. As far as new handguns I do have a Les Baer model SRP in .45 cal if anyone knows what that is (set me back about $2400 yes $2400.00)
Any other questions Ill do my best to answer.... let me know.
here are a few links for you to play with
http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/index.html
WWW.gunbroker.com
MOTORRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 01:13 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

50 CAL. Are you crazy for home defense. No offense but that's the stupid thing for home defense. A shotgun is a great home defense weapon. Think about this. Even a 9mm will got right thru a sheetrock wall and into the next room. More people get shot in a home from the bullet going thru walls than direct fire. Skip the 50 cal and get home defense shotgun. Plus a pump shotgun is fawking cool. My shotgun is camo so the intruder can't see it. and it's got a 28'' barrel for a tight grouping.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:22 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

The other nice thing about a shotgun for home defence is you just point it in the general direction of the noise and pull the trigger. Also they make some really nasty loads for home defence. Check them out sometime. I would also recommend you buy somthing you can afford to shoot. I have a few that have VERY rare ammo and it is very frustrating when you cant afford to "play" with your new toy. Get somthing you can afford to shoot, if you can afford the eagle then by all means get it, but keep in mind it would only be a recreation gun thats about it. Speeking of .50 cal. Have you checked out Smith and wessons new .50 cal magnum revolver? Most powerfull handgun made to date... here is a link
http://www.firearms.smith-wesson.com...sw_activeTab=2

Make shure you check out the round comparison etc at the bottom. They also make them in bigger versions (longer barrel) I like this one since it is more of a practicle size...
Old 12-12-2004, 11:20 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

rckjeep is right, that is a HUGE gun for home defense.. Think of your neighbors.

Do you have any children? EDIT: NOT starting a flame war, I just want to look into safety. I saw you keep them under lock, many people don't with a gun for home security because they want it immediately availible..
Old 12-12-2004, 11:21 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORRAD
The other nice thing about a shotgun for home defence is you just point it in the general direction of the noise and pull the trigger.
I would REALLY hope you think more than that before shooting a gun.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:45 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR5Dave
Quote:
The other nice thing about a shotgun for home defence is you just point it in the general direction of the noise and pull the trigger.
Obviously if Id be willing to shoot it. That would only be if all reasonable other means were not an option. You cant use a gun to defend property only life. Im saying that in that adrenaline filled moment when you do have to defend ones life aiming in the dark (semi dark, light whatever) may be alot harder than you think especially with a hand cannon like a .50 cal where you can only get one good round off. With a shot gun you point it in the general direction of the attacker and the job is done, no aiming, no worrying about people in the other room or neighbors that might get hit if you miss etc....
Old 12-12-2004, 04:26 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR5Dave
Quote:
Obviously if Id be willing to shoot it. That would only be if all reasonable other means were not an option. You cant use a gun to defend property only life. Im saying that in that adrenaline filled moment when you do have to defend ones life aiming in the dark (semi dark, light whatever) may be alot harder than you think especially with a hand cannon like a .50 cal where you can only get one good round off. With a shot gun you point it in the general direction of the attacker and the job is done, no aiming, no worrying about people in the other room or neighbors that might get hit if you miss etc....
It sounded like you were implying to shoot in the direction of noise, without detailing what "noise" was
Old 12-12-2004, 10:35 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by "SR5Dave
I would REALLY hope you think more than that before shooting a gun.[/quote

It sounded like you were implying to shoot in the direction of noise, without detailing what "noise" was
Now that I read back on that It did. I appologise for that, it wasnt what I ment.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:01 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Oh one more thing about Large hand guns. I had a 9mm and have a .45 ACP and after shooting my brother in laws 44 mag a few rounds I could not hold my 9mm steady anymore. My pre 44 groups were within 2" at 10 yards. After shooting the 44 there were around 8". Imagine what a 50 cal would do.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:37 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I'm going to try to put this back on topic here. You want something for home defense, the answer is not always a shotgun - it is much more difficult to keep a shotgun accessable, but safe - a handgun can be kept safe, and still very accessable. Worried about rounds going through walls? It's called Frangable projectiles folks, welcome to the 21st century. They pack a heck of a punch, the mutalate anything they hit, and they disentigrate after impact, so if you shot a wall, it'd make a mess out of the wall, but a dust cloud would be the only thing that came out the other side.

If you are comforable with a .45, I would stick with it. Desert Eagles are a novelty gun - I've shot several and never been impressed with thier performance. My personal choice for home defense is a SIG P220.

If you know a fire arms dealer, you can buy handguns online, but they have to be sent to a person with an FFL. You will need to make arangements with your local dealer to do this.

On the subject of 9mm handguns for home defense - I'll tell a true story about a police officer making a traffic stop. Fortunately, the officer in this story was wearing a bullet proof vest. The officer pulled over a pickup truck on a back road for weaving - probable cause. As he approached the truck, the suspect got out, and turned towards him - he was holding a 357, which he proceeded to unload at the officer, hitting him twice. It was a two sided exchange, the officer returned fire with his 9mm. He emptied a pre-ban 15 round clip into the suspect's body, as the suspect fired at him, threw down his gun and opened the toolbox in the back of his truck. He pulled out an AK-47. Knowing that his vest wouldn't do him any good against that, the officer dropped the old clip, loaded a new one, chambered the first round, and double tapped the suspect - two rounds to the head. The autopsy revealed that the suspect died of two shots to the head that were instantly fatal, however, the corenor suspects that the perp would have eventually died of the other *15* rounds he had taken to the torso.

No, I wouldn't recommend a 9mm to *anyone* for home defense.
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 11:28 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
No, I wouldn't recommend a 9mm to *anyone* for home defense.
that's why I sold mine.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:35 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Well Guys, I went and looked at a couple of shops.. I looked at the desert eagle ..needless to say it is out of the question.. The gun was too big, bulky and heavy.. and I dont have real big hands either so that didnt help.. I think someone said it best when they said "it is a novelty gun"..

Dunno if I want to go the shotgun route...I saw some nice ones though.. I also wanted to buy the assault rifle that was there j/k... unfortunetly it was for police use only...

I did see a nice .38 revolver that looked interesting.. I believe it was a S&W..

maybe ill just stick with my .45 ..its a good gun.. dunno...

anybody wanna go to the range sometime??? maybe the one in Milpitas or the Reeds shop off 101....
Old 12-13-2004, 01:35 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

My favorite is my friends over under shotgun with no stock only grip and 8in barrel fun as hell to shoot but not something you can take to the range.
skyjacker_rc_club is offline   Reply With Quote