Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge vs. Toyota

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge vs. Toyota

I convinced the wife to trade the minivan for a pickup. I'm looking crew cab, full size, V8, 20-30k miles.

I've read so many mixed reviews, its hard to decide.
Avoid Chevy's small V8, Avoid Dodge's tranny's, avoid toyotas high foreign repair costs. Theres so much out there for and against each brand, and I dont have a preference...
I just want something reliable, that will last if properly cared for, and have minimal headaches, etc.

Just a confused truck shopper. Some advice would help. Thanks.
J.DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2011, 04:52 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

International.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

maybe a Studebaker!
relic68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #4

Toyota = Quality

I have a tundra crewmax platinum and it is the best gas job 1/2 ton you can buy. I am very pleased with it.
Drove fords for years in the oil patch, engines and tranny never held up. Very durable otherwise.
Buddies with new dodges were replacing front seals within 10,000kms
Had a friend with a new chevy that had total lock up on the hiway :(

Love my tundra, especially the size, but the Dodge was a very close second for me. I did countless hours or research and spent my hard earned $52,000 on a Toyota.

But to each their own
Scourge18a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

They all have issues, you have to choose which you can deal with

What do you plan on doing with it? Are you looking 1/2 ton, or maybe 3/4 ton? 4x4?

For you, I would recommend the Ram Mega Cab. Can get it in the 1500 series and the 2500 series, with the Hemi or Cummins (go Cummins ). I just bought one a few months ago...OMG the slightly unproportional exterior apperance is very much worth the extra in cab space!

ps-the dodge transmissions aren't an allison, but if you drive with a freakin brain in your head they aren't bad. Between my dad and I we have 3 Rams, ~510,000 miles and only my big offroad Ram (lifted, 38" TSLs, etc) with ~225,000 miles has ever had a trans rebuild (about 20,000 miles ago). His 04 Ram has ~185,000 miles on the STOCK trans and my Cummins just turned over 100,000 miles last week, stock trans as well. I'm not sure what all these nuts are talking about Remember, not often do people come to a forum to inform everyone their truck is doing great with no issues, everyone comes to complain/troubleshoot/etc. There are A LOT of every truck out there with no issues, you just don't hear from them because they are too busy driving them! Find one that makes you tingle and buy it
Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:00 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Ive had Chevy, Dodge and Ford...

Chevy is very plasticy with a car like ride (not the ride I like in a truck). Quality is very made in Mexico on a drunken Friday. Also a pita to work on the newer stuff. Best Milage of the 3.

Dodge was basically a cheap knock off of a Ford. At least with my 99 I got horrid milage were talking 11mpg with the 5.2 non-lifted 4x4. I had several small problems and the dealerships response was "what do you expect its a ram". Swore I would never buy another dodge even though they do have the best diesel.

Ford has been the best feel and build quality to me. With my gassers I never did any major repairs and put some high miles on them. With my Diesel I did replace 4 injectors which was not cheap but, otherwise the truck has been great 4x4 on 35's 4 door 7500# truck and I get 22mpg at 63mph. My 02 2wd f150 averaged 21mpg. I have never owned a 4wd f150 but the friends I have with them report less than stellar mileage.

I havent owned a Toyota but I have a coworker that does. He swears buy the Toyota quality yet he has under 20k miles on an 09 and its been in for 4 recalls and multiple repairs, several large (trans, rearend). Its a 2wd ext cab and last I knew he was getting 16mpg.

When it comes down to it, they are all about the same, its all what you like.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

What does you local dealer sell/ service? Find something with lots of warranty left.

Go talk to a service writer at you local shops, chances are they do more big 3 domestic repairs.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Get whatever you like, but for myself I'd be going for a Ford. Not a real fan of Dodges, Chevys aren't too bad, but you couldn't even give me a new Toyota for free. Unless I liked watching the bed flopping around like a fish on bumpy roads...
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Like the rest said, you ask 3 people what they like and you will get all three different answers.. For me I will never buy another Government Motors...ever....I like my Ford, will stick with Ford...yes all 8 of my injectors had to be changed...but cause the POS PO didn't know how to change a fuel filter...and yes I had to change the turbo...but again, was because the PO didn't do any maintenance on it..now, just over 120,00K I pull my trailer up a 6% grade doing 70. Empty the best I got was 24 mpg at 78 mph...not to bad for a 9000 pound truck.

and if you get a deisel...fuel additive....nuff said.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbacon View Post
Get whatever you like, but for myself I'd be going for a Ford. Not a real fan of Dodges, Chevys aren't too bad, but you couldn't even give me a new Toyota for free. Unless I liked watching the bed flopping around like a fish on bumpy roads...
Still better than a box that doesn't line up with the cab anymore becuase the frames bent from unsupport bump stops(Raptor). And really, I don't look behind me so I don't see the box.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
I like my Ford, will stick with Ford...yes all 8 of my injectors had to be changed...but cause the POS PO didn't know how to change a fuel filter...and yes I had to change the turbo...but again, was because the PO didn't do any maintenance on it...

mine were similar issue, PO didnt change the oil on time and didnt use the additive and bye bye injectors.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid View Post
Still better than a box that doesn't line up with the cab anymore becuase the frames bent from unsupport bump stops(Raptor). And really, I don't look behind me so I don't see the box.
Better to have your frame bend than have some of your vertebrae compress...

Jump to 1:00 in the vid to see what I mean.

Last edited by canadianbacon; 11-10-2011 at 03:48 PM.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #13
Who's your Daddy-0!

I'm a Toyota guy I've had a Ford, Dodge and Chevy. Both of my Ford's were in the shop at least 5 times a year! The Chevy was ok but sucked gas and the resale was awful!!!! I've had 4 Yotas now. I just sold my 82 this year (wish I didn't). I'm in a 93 extended cab now. You can beat the crap out of a Yota and it keeps going! Great gas mileage to Buy used and save some $. Everyone will have a different answer on this one. And each person has had good and bad with each brand. Just buy what you like and meets your needs and make sure to buy a extended warranty!
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #14
RCC Addict

My 2007 Tundra crewmax has tons of room, runs great, and has a great fit and finish. It gets 10mpg in town. Its bone stock except for an air raid intake, and borla muffler. 10. Yep I said it. 10 MPG in town. It touches 16-18 on the freeway if you go 75. It still gets 14 at 110. But around town your getting 10. All in all, as long as gas is free, or you do only highway driving the Tundra is a great truck. Drive a chevy, ford, dodge, and then the Toyota. You will wonder if the designers of the first 3 even went to college, or have eyes once you see and feel how much nicer the Tundra is. But, I guess fuel is really cheap in Japan, because it only gets 10 mpg in town.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I have had Dodge, Chevy, Ford , and Nissan (I know it ain't on the list) And I am a huge Dodge fan. I have had 4 Dodge trucks and actually everything that I own is a Dodge product, and for comfort, drive ability, power, handling the whole package that is what I would recommend.
TXJeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #16
Got Worms?

It really depends on the truck (year, model)...but my thoughts on brand in general

Chevy-Asphalt queens
Dodge- Cheaply built ford with a cummins
Ford-Built for work, not luxury
Toyota-Nice, but can't handle daily abuse (from work loads or offroading)
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
My 2007 Tundra crewmax has tons of room, runs great, and has a great fit and finish. It gets 10mpg in town. Its bone stock except for an air raid intake, and borla muffler. 10. Yep I said it. 10 MPG in town. It touches 16-18 on the freeway if you go 75. It still gets 14 at 110. But around town your getting 10. All in all, as long as gas is free, or you do only highway driving the Tundra is a great truck. Drive a chevy, ford, dodge, and then the Toyota. You will wonder if the designers of the first 3 even went to college, or have eyes once you see and feel how much nicer the Tundra is. But, I guess fuel is really cheap in Japan, because it only gets 10 mpg in town.
How the hell do you drive in town to get 10? Worst I got with my 08 dc was 13 letting it warm up in winter. One friend gets 12 with 35's and lift. Two others 13-15.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
International.
so Ford. If its a diesel. (not the newest 6.7l)

Last edited by R/CMaxximus5.0; 11-10-2011 at 05:33 PM.
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbacon View Post
Better to have your frame bend than have some of your vertebrae compress...
Remember Ford advertising their razue heavy duty bed bolts? That's because the bed would seperate in crashes.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/CMaxximus5.0 View Post
so Ford.
Didn't Ford piss in International's wheaties? Hence the loss of the 7.3L?