Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: traxxas new release ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #141
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbacon View Post
Yep, and also buy another whatever the hell you smashed in to because it won't survive lol.
no kidding
scorpion ax-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #142
Quarry Creeper

I got to see this car at the PRI show in Orlando this weekend. Traxxas had a great booth in the show and props to them for getting RC more out there.
The car was in a plexiglass case sitting on a chassis dyno with an Ipad displaying the speed. You could walk up, grab the new TX and run it up to WOT, it screamed like hell and showed 103mph on the rollers.
You couldnt see any of the electronics or chassis though.
It's impressive, looked smaller than I was expecting, still big though. Bad thing is the car, with the body on and blingy wheels, just looked like a cheesy WalMart RC car.
KevMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #143
RCC Addict

just seen it on tv show (right this minute) it is traxxas XO-1

0-60 in 2.3 secs
0-100 under 5 secs

wow.
hotrodsonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #144
I wanna be Dave

I have read several places where people are thinking the msrp is $1099 and the street price will be less... Not True, street price is $1099 msrp is $1800. I confirmed this with a shop owner this weekend. He said allot of people have been coming in thinking the same thing.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #145

wow 1000 bucks for a onraod car u cant drive anywhere? You make me laugh traxxas...what a joke
Benthecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #146
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthecrawler View Post
wow 1000 bucks for a onraod car u cant drive anywhere? You make me laugh traxxas...what a joke
It's a high end car dedicated to do one thing. What else good is a $2000 crawler other than just driving on rocks? How is that any different?
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #147
Who's your Daddy-0!

$1K is pretty high IMO. Most of us can build a 100mph onroad car for a lot cheaper!!!! And if you don't have a iphone you will be in it for even more!
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #148
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthecrawler View Post
Surely the "on-road" part of the description is a bit of a give-away?
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #149
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
$1K is pretty high IMO. Most of us can build a 100mph onroad car for a lot cheaper!!!! And if you don't have a iphone you will be in it for even more!
I think it's difficult to say right now as we don't know what price Castle are going to sell the 1717 motor and new Esc for, i'd bet they're AT LEAST $500.

Another $100 at least for 2 half decent 3S packs.
You've then got $400 to buy a chassis, shocks, servo, shell, wheels, tyres Tx, Rx etc.

I recon it'd be bloody close.

Add into that the amount of time and effort you'd need to put into the car, sorting out aerodynamics, gearing etc.
It should not be underestimated on how difficult it is to get a RC car to hit 100mph.
I got bored a last year and had a play with my ERevo, much over 70mph and it was impossible to control, i spent many many runs adjusting the shell angle, trying out various wings in various places.

Gave up in the end, so the shell and chassis really start fighting against the wind at anything over a true 60mph.

Can't honestly say i want one of these, but it's going to be very interesting in seeing how folks modify them and what other versions Traxxas comes out with.

Cheers
Mark
Old 12-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #150
Rock Crawler

technically its easy to get the rpm,s to give a car 100 mph wheelspeed but pretty damn hard for many reasons to get the car there, i would really like to see what tires they are useing as thats probably the biggest factor on a nice lowslung aerodynamic car
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #151
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6fs View Post
I think it's difficult to say right now as we don't know what price Castle are going to sell the 1717 motor and new Esc for, i'd bet they're AT LEAST $500.

Another $100 at least for 2 half decent 3S packs.
You've then got $400 to buy a chassis, shocks, servo, shell, wheels, tyres Tx, Rx etc.

I recon it'd be bloody close.

Add into that the amount of time and effort you'd need to put into the car, sorting out aerodynamics, gearing etc.
It should not be underestimated on how difficult it is to get a RC car to hit 100mph.
I got bored a last year and had a play with my ERevo, much over 70mph and it was impossible to control, i spent many many runs adjusting the shell angle, trying out various wings in various places.

Gave up in the end, so the shell and chassis really start fighting against the wind at anything over a true 60mph.

Can't honestly say i want one of these, but it's going to be very interesting in seeing how folks modify them and what other versions Traxxas comes out with.

Cheers
Mark
I have a rail drag going 104mph on a Castle 8000kv motor and on a 2 cell! It's not that hard! Trying to make a erevo hit 100mph is just crazy IMO! To big, to high, etc.... I've had a HPI RS4 Super, brushless that was knocking on the 100mph door with not much done to it other than motor, lipo and some crazy gearing! Slam the body down. Good tires. Smooth road. Short steering throw and go! Having a 2 speed makes it even easier. Throw a 3 speed in it and your set.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:57 AM   #152
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
I have a rail drag going 104mph on a Castle 8000kv motor and on a 2 cell! It's not that hard! Trying to make a erevo hit 100mph is just crazy IMO! To big, to high, etc.... I've had a HPI RS4 Super, brushless that was knocking on the 100mph door with not much done to it other than motor, lipo and some crazy gearing! Slam the body down. Good tires. Smooth road. Short steering throw and go! Having a 2 speed makes it even easier. Throw a 3 speed in it and your set.
Do you have a thread up of those cars?
They sound fantastic

Playing devils advocate here, but by the sounds of it what your comparing here is say a heavily tuned and modified big block chevy to a Veyron.
I'm absolutely certain that you could hit 100 mph cheaper than $1000, but without having the same of very similar components it's not really fair comparing it monetary value wise.

As we have not seen the car in the flesh yet, never mind been given the chance to drive it all we can really do is speculate.

That said I'm guessing the difference between your beasts and this car, is that Traxxas would have designed it to do 60mph+ day in day out without any overheating problems or too much customising (not saying yours do overheat btw).

I would also be surprised if Traxxas hadn't intended this car to be driven round like a normalish 1/10th car that handles very well.

We'll see, it could well turn out that the motor only has 10 x 100mph runs in it and it handles like a bag-o-shite in which case it doesn't really offer any value for money at all.
IF on the other hand it's robust, over engineered, does top speed runs all day every day AND handles well then IMO it would offer better VFM.

Ultimately though people will vote with their wallets on if it's over priced or not.
If it doesn't sell then that's a clear indication that people are not prepared to pay that sort of money for that type of car.
If it does sell then it's proof positive that $1k+ is not too high a price.

Either way although i have no interest in buying one of these i'll be watching closely with interest

Cheers
Mark
Old 12-08-2011, 02:18 AM   #153
Who's your Daddy-0!

Oh I agree! Two different beast indeed! There are very few RC cars that cost $1k+! And I understand that all of these young kids want faster and faster cars! But 99% of them have no idea how hard it is to handle a 100mph RC car! One crash at that speed and you will be building a whole new car! Unless you were lucky enough to slide on your lid the whole time And getting hit or hitting someone at those speeds..... It won't be pretty! I hit by employee in the leg with a SC10 at 40ish mph, he had to get a couple of stitches! 100mph and your either breaking bones or taking something off!

And again, they are saying you need a iPhone to allow it to run those speeds or am I wrong? That you have to get a app for it. So if you don't have a iPhone your going to spend even more $$! So after batteries, car and iPhone, charger and balancer, etc... You could be in that thing for close to $2k
Old 12-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #154
Rock Crawler

i,m wondering what exactly the app and iphone are supposed to unlock to get to 100mph..could this be overcome by running a different radio? is it just an endpoint thing for the radio or does it change the program of the esc, i,m guessing the radio,s programing

Last edited by vonclod; 12-08-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #155
Rock Crawler

Default Re: traxxas new release ?

so the unlocking deal is through the esc and not the radio, aparently you will not need an iphone or ipod to unlock..diggin for some details