Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Gauged ears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #81
Quarry Creeper

I have one question....does anyone Have their lebret pierced? How bad did it hurt? And does it have any affect on your gums?....

brought to you by a not so smart... smart phone
aiden102408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #82
Quarry Creeper

Can ears that are stretched to 1" and above really return to normal? If so, belay everything I type below...
I understand what Kenny is saying in his post. Yes, I am close-minded when I see stretched ears. Individualism is what it is- I have a right to my opinion. I think everyone who has posted that they have a professional job with stretched ears are lucky to have it- I doubt a buisness owner/manager in a TRUE, face to face professional customer service field would have someone with gauged/stretched ears working for them. Obviously a tattoo shop would employ people with stretched/gauged ears..... is that even an argument? I have done a bit of hiring in the past two years, and first impressions are huge. For legal reasons, I cannot turn applicants away based on looks, gender, etc. This would include people with gauged ears. If I interviewed someone with gauged ears and great credentials, and someone without gauged ears and the same credentials, I would hire the person with normal ears. If this seems close-minded to some, they are oblivious to the real world. *edited*. Go to a law firm and see how many people have gauged ears. Or a bank, post-office, school staff. Not cubicles, where you can be hidden. Yes, I put tattoos and gauged ears in seperate categories. Tatoos can be hidden. To me, tattoos are art. Gauged ears, IMO, are for people who need attention, it seems. Kinda like emo and vampire kids, or goth kids as we called them. People are not gauging ears presently to show wealth. I could care less what the tribes did 1000 years ago. You want slow pain? To be tough(lol!)? Take MMA classes, or something like that.
Now, me being 29, I do not feel like an old-timer with 1970 views. Maybe I am missing it, and society is accepting of these ears more than I think?. I do realize tattoos, especially sleeves, would hinder employment in alot of fields. It seems that society is accepting tattoos as somewhat normal now, so maybe the ears will be too. I myself have tattoos, and listen to metal (not glam-metal). I'm pretty sure I meet the standards to have gauged ears. I just think they look stupid, so I won't have them! lol! Nothing said will alter my opinion, either. Like I said in the beginning of this rant- its my opinion. Individualism at its best....
Please, if you have gauged ears, do not take what I typed to heart.... I don't hate people with gauged ears, and actually have a couple friends who have them. Its just not my thing. And yes, I tell them my opinion regularly on their ear holes.... lol

Last edited by Hoyta; 11-30-2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: retracting dumb statement on my part lol
Hoyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #83
Quarry Creeper

i hear what you're saying, i just disagree with some of it. if you have your ears stretched, you can take them out. when i go out in public without my plugs in i rarely get stared at. it may not necessarily look pretty, but it's still possible to look at least mostly professional with your ears stretched. i completely disagree with your statement about it means the person is immature and lacks tact. maybe you have just dealt with some people that are immature and have their ears stretched. i don't know, but a lot of the people i know with body modification are just as mature, if not more mature, than anyone i know without mods. is stretching your ears somewhat taboo in the US? yeah, it is. does it make someone a different person? HELL NO! what someone does to their body doesn't represent who they are as a person, or their maturity.

Last edited by ohh EPiC FAiL; 11-30-2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: spelling correction
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, I think my statement on the immaturity thing was kinda off-based. I'm sorry about that! I think it is because most of the people I met with them are lacking in maturity.... I'm editing that now. Kinda contradicting, but my tattoo artist has huge gauges... lol
Old 11-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

I don't think having stretched ears makes a person mature or immature ....

Old 11-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyta View Post
Yeah, I think my statement on the immaturity thing was kinda off-based. I'm sorry about that! I think it is because most of the people I met with them are lacking in maturity.... I'm editing that now. Kinda contradicting, but my tattoo artist has huge gauges... lol
it's all good man. i kinda had a feeling you had just not met the right people with them

and with tattoo artists- i wouldn't let an artist come anywhere near me if he isn't pretty well covered in tattoos and a few piercings. i want to know that the guy doing my work has been through it himself. i'm not sure why i feel like this, but i do
Old 11-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #87
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohh EPiC FAiL View Post
it's all good man. i kinda had a feeling you had just not met the right people with them

and with tattoo artists- i wouldn't let an artist come anywhere near me if he isn't pretty well covered in tattoos and a few piercings. i want to know that the guy doing my work has been through it himself. i'm not sure why i feel like this, but i do
I strongly agree with you on the artist being covered and pierced
But if I cant eat off the floor in the shop I won't get work done there

Old 11-30-2011, 10:29 PM   #88
Quarry Creeper

ditto on both of the last posts. I would feel weird getting work done from someone without any.... Like getting a massage from another man- lol
Old 11-30-2011, 10:41 PM   #89
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
I've always wondered what would you do if you got in a fight?
Try to hurry up and take them out?
I just got into a fight about 6 weeks ago, I left them in, nothing happened
rocksteadily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

i don't think it'd matter in a fight if they are small unless the other dude goes for them. above about an inch i could see causing issues. when i used to go to shows all the time i used to leave mine out so i could get in the pit without worrying about them getting ripped out
Old 12-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #91
RCC Addict

Quote:
I think everyone who has posted that they have a professional job with stretched ears are lucky to have it- I doubt a buisness owner/manager in a TRUE, face to face professional customer service field would have someone with gauged/stretched ears working for them. Obviously a tattoo shop would employ people with stretched/gauged ears..... is that even an argument? I have done a bit of hiring in the past two years, and first impressions are huge. For legal reasons, I cannot turn applicants away based on looks, gender, etc. This would include people with gauged ears. If I interviewed someone with gauged ears and great credentials, and someone without gauged ears and the same credentials, I would hire the person with normal ears.
I can definitely respect where you're coming from. One thing I'm curious about your point of view on is in relation to size of stretched lobes. Obviously not all of them are completely huge and in many cases small ones look like normal earrings. Would you turn down an applicant if they had their ears pierced? My lobes are somewhat largely stretched and I never wear tunnels in them. I wear solid black plugs in them and get asked on a fairly regular basis if they're normal earrings or stretched lobes. If you were a business owner or manager would you deny someone a job if they conducted themselves professionally, dressed professionally (depending on the job it is), and had smaller stretched lobes with solid jewelry that you may or may not be able to tell were larger than normal earrings?
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:49 AM   #92
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
I can definitely respect where you're coming from. One thing I'm curious about your point of view on is in relation to size of stretched lobes. Obviously not all of them are completely huge and in many cases small ones look like normal earrings. Would you turn down an applicant if they had their ears pierced? My lobes are somewhat largely stretched and I never wear tunnels in them. I wear solid black plugs in them and get asked on a fairly regular basis if they're normal earrings or stretched lobes. If you were a business owner or manager would you deny someone a job if they conducted themselves professionally, dressed professionally (depending on the job it is), and had smaller stretched lobes with solid jewelry that you may or may not be able to tell were larger than normal earrings?
Thats a good point too, I used to wear 3/4 thin tunnels and I think it may have bothered people a little more, at least my family, being able to see through my ears. I wear nothing but wood plugs now in blacks, browns, inlays etc and there is some amazing hand done work that is quite appealing to look at.
kurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

I have never had a problem getting a job with my stretched ears. As someone else already pointed out, its about how you conduct yourself.

Most of my friends have tats and or piercings and we all have jobs in a huge variety of fields. One of my friends has a large shoulder piece and goes to work every day in a huge accounting firm in a high rise...No one knows he has it and he says that there have been times when he is talking to people in his office about tattoos and they say rude stuff and then he says "what if I told you I have a tattoo". They usually change their tune quickly once he says that.

Tattoos and piercings are mainstream enough that I dont think there is any problem getting a job...Of course you should think about how far you want to take it as going to the extreme may make it more difficult.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #94
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
I have never had a problem getting a job with my stretched ears. As someone else already pointed out, its about how you conduct yourself.

Tattoos and piercings are mainstream enough that I dont think there is any problem getting a job...Of course you should think about how far you want to take it as going to the extreme may make it more difficult.
i agree just look at dezmoon he is covered in tats and ive herd him curse with the best of them but i swear once he sees a kid the worse that comes out of his mouth is dam
freakofnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #95
Quarry Creeper

yeah it's all about how you conduct yourself. if you act like an idiot, you will get treated like one, especially if you have piercings and tattoos. if you are mature and can hold an intelligent conversation and be a respectful person you most likely won't catch much shit for it. the only time my ears have ever caused any conflict was when i first did it and was still going to church. the church i was raised at was extremely conservative and i was immediately treated differently when i did it, even though i didn't wear my jewelry.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #96
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Can ears that are stretched to 1" and above really return to normal? If so, belay everything I type below...
I understand what Kenny is saying in his post. Yes, I am close-minded when I see stretched ears. Individualism is what it is- I have a right to my opinion. I think everyone who has posted that they have a professional job with stretched ears are lucky to have it- I doubt a buisness owner/manager in a TRUE, face to face professional customer service field would have someone with gauged/stretched ears working for them. Obviously a tattoo shop would employ people with stretched/gauged ears..... is that even an argument? I have done a bit of hiring in the past two years, and first impressions are huge. For legal reasons, I cannot turn applicants away based on looks, gender, etc. This would include people with gauged ears. If I interviewed someone with gauged ears and great credentials, and someone without gauged ears and the same credentials, I would hire the person with normal ears. If this seems close-minded to some, they are oblivious to the real world. *edited*. Go to a law firm and see how many people have gauged ears. Or a bank, post-office, school staff. Not cubicles, where you can be hidden. Yes, I put tattoos and gauged ears in seperate categories. Tatoos can be hidden. To me, tattoos are art. Gauged ears, IMO, are for people who need attention, it seems. Kinda like emo and vampire kids, or goth kids as we called them. People are not gauging ears presently to show wealth. I could care less what the tribes did 1000 years ago. You want slow pain? To be tough(lol!)? Take MMA classes, or something like that.
Now, me being 29, I do not feel like an old-timer with 1970 views. Maybe I am missing it, and society is accepting of these ears more than I think?. I do realize tattoos, especially sleeves, would hinder employment in alot of fields. It seems that society is accepting tattoos as somewhat normal now, so maybe the ears will be too. I myself have tattoos, and listen to metal (not glam-metal). I'm pretty sure I meet the standards to have gauged ears. I just think they look stupid, so I won't have them! lol! Nothing said will alter my opinion, either. Like I said in the beginning of this rant- its my opinion. Individualism at its best....
Please, if you have gauged ears, do not take what I typed to heart.... I don't hate people with gauged ears, and actually have a couple friends who have them. Its just not my thing. And yes, I tell them my opinion regularly on their ear holes.... lol
I'll agree to disagree with you. IMO you are just being racist. You are basing hiring on looks. I know plenty of people with "corporate" job that are heavily tattooed and have 1" + ears. Two of my friends work for Apple. Another friend is a X-Ray tech at a huge hospital. I have another friend who is a head camera man for our local news station. I also have friends that look like that in firefighting, EMT's, local business owners, graphic designers, loan companies, etc....

We choose to look this way. But at the end of the day we are now in the minority of the population. No different than any other race that is discriminated against. It is closed minded people such as yourself that only make it harder for people that look that way to get a job, treated equal in public, church, etc....

Maybe you should take the time to get to know a few of "us". Maybe then you will realize that we are college educated, Christians, have family of our own, morals, standards, and are all around good law abiding people. My advise is get used to it. My generation is coming in and yours is going out. (born in 75 BTW).

Looks should not matter in any way. If that person can perform whatever task they are hired to do and do it well there should be no prob. If the guy with the big ears doesn't have a shot I sure fell sorry for the Mexicans, Blacks, Asian's, etc....

The Bible says don't judge your neighbor, only God can judge him.
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #97

I can see both sides of the argument. I think it is a kind of art just like tattoos but its not my thing. I won't rule it out because sometime my idea on it may change but right now I am not gonna be gauging my ears or getting any tattoos.
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #98
Quarry Creeper

Kenny-
Saying what I said is racist is stupid, Plain and simple. I have no qualms on race, and don't consider myself an elitist/biggot because buisness conforms to society. If I own a buisness, and customers who come into my said place of buisness are offended by my employee's choice of style, what do you think will happen? They will shop elsewhere. That affects my bottom dollar, i.e. food on the table. If you think society as a whole does not judge people on looks, or shouldn't, you are sadly mistaken. Its life. Now, granted, there are enviroments where this is accepted more, such as "Two of my friends work for Apple. Another friend is a X-Ray tech at a huge hospital. I have another friend who is a head camera man for our local news station." Apple is one of the most liberal companies to work for. BOTH of my sisters work for Apple. Not a good example-Xray techs are seen by people in need, and a very respected posistion that takes skill. It does not require you to look presentable, IMO. A cameraman?? really? Do you think he has a chance at being the news anchor? No- not unless its for fuse tv or the X-games. Might be a sad reality, but its true. Trying to figure out how my generation is going out, and yours is? That makes absolutely no sense. As for getting to know "us", I explained that I have friends with gauged ears. Apparently you didn't read it. Would I invite these friends for a round of golf with the president of the company? No- Can you guess why?? Because most people in society judge, and it again can affect my bottom dollar. If we lived in la-la land where everyone accepted people for who they are, and not looks, then your arguments would be valid. But, sadly(I guess), thats not human nature.
I do get annoyed having to explain my tattoos to people. I can understand the fustration you would have when you get dirty looks from people. My tattoos are able to be covered up, mainly for this reason. I think sleeves look awesome, and wish they weren't judged. But they are, and I accept that. Basically, I have accepted reality......

Last edited by Hoyta; 12-01-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #99
Quarry Creeper

i really couldn't care less if people judge me based on my outward appearance. it's their loss, not mine. if someone is going to judge me based on my looks, they can S my D. i have accepted reality as well, but that doesn't mean i am okay with it. i do agree with the basic idea that kenny was trying to get across though

i don't think kenny made those examples to say it's accepted everywhere, he was just stating that it is becoming more accepted than it used to be. i don't think it was a personal shot against you either. just think back to how times were 20+ years ago. tattoos and piercings in general basically made you an outcast, and would gurantee that you couldn't get most jobs. it's a lot different now. and 20 years from now, it will probably not even make people look twice.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #100
Quarry Creeper

I hope it does become accepted enough that people won't look twice. Its just still in its infancy now, 5-10 yrs or so of being popular.I think some of the smaller ones are cool looking, and I can respect people having larger ones. I just don't feel like I am a "racist" because of what I said.