Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 97 Ram 1500 5.9L

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
WOOPOOW!!

Default 97 Ram 1500 5.9L

Who else drives one of these bad boys? Got mine the 1st of August and have loved it!!! Although... recently its started making the weirdest noises, and acting very funny. I know these trucks are notorious for the rear end going bad, and I think that is whats happening. As you can see, the tires on it arent in the best of shape, and ive been driving it for 4 months, so they havent gotten better, and every day it sounds more and more like I'm running 44 inch boggers Could this just be the rear end taking a dump? Or wheel bearings or something?

Im wanting to change the exhaust, the wheels, and beleive it or not, it needs a new paint job. Also, this truck was bought from a couple who claims to know a member on this forum from Kentucky. If you see this and know this truck, post up

dodge by colby419, on Flickr

dodge2 by colby419, on Flickr
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
RCC Addict

that is a clean truck Colby.a buddy of mine has one identical and the rearend went out in his also.is it making a roaring sound?or cherping sound?if it is cherp,then most likely brakes or bearings.roaring is probably the rear.

and....

DONT DRIVE ON THE GRASS.............
lmao
hotrodsonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
WOOPOOW!!

Thanks man! She's very muddy right now, and no, I don't go muffin in my 2wd

It's a loud roar from the rear end. If I reverse up hill the back left wheel makes a tick noise, when I pull into my driveway it sounds like a dieing dog, and if I cut the wheels all the way and turn, like doing a u turn or turning around a culdasac it makes the most awful griding and vibration I've heard
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Wow, this sounds like a job for......

Super Mechanic!!! (que music)

Just kidding.... its late and I have had ALOT to drink!
CmdrZod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

does it have a posi if it is roaring it could be the carrier berring and if it has a posi it could be time to change the grease
slashkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:13 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

IMO sounds like the rear end bearing or the LSD
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:06 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Sounds like the rear differential. Depending on what type it is (limited slip or open) it could be an easy repair. Replacing spider gears (open diff) is a pretty easy job for a do it yourself mechanic. If you have to replace a limited slip then you will have to get the gears reset which can be a good amount of money. Limited slips can cost 4-$600 dollars and install could be close to that as well. If it is an open diff, a set of spider gears shouldn't be much more then $125 or so. That, some gear oil, rtv for diff cover something to clean like brake cleaner, and a little thread lock for the cross pin retaining screw and you are good. This all depends on what rear axle is in it as well obviously. It should be a Chrysler 9.25 .

Chrysler Dodge 9.25 Spider Gears Kit

Now there could be other things wrong. But if it is a simple spider gear situation, do it soon. They wear over time and will eventually slip of jam. The material that shaves off ends up riding around in the oil and then jamming other things up. Axles can take more of this then the tighter tolerances in the engine. but if the gear oil has not been changed in a while then you will want to. Just get a drain pan and pull the rear cover. You will be able to tell alot by doing that. Leave one bolt half way in in one of the top bolt holes of the cover. So when you smack it lose the cover does not go flying too far and it keeps you from dropping it.

I have a similar axle in design (not strength) in my Wrangler. I have been through 2 of those gear sets. One from wear and the other from beating on it. I do not think it took more then an hour from walking up to the Jeep to driving it for a test to do the work the second time. You don't even have to unbolt the rear wheels when doing it.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Sounds like the same problem I had with my Dakota , I took it to randys ring and pinions to find out the clutches for the limited slip were toast , prob from doing so many burnouts and donuts lol. I think it ended up costing me around 300- 350 for randys to fix it, they do great work.

If u have someone watch the tires when it makes the sound do they look like something is binding them up?
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote