Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: What Transmission do you prefer?
Manual 49 83.05%
Automatic 10 16.95%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Manual or automatic Trans?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Default Manual or automatic Trans?

which do you prefer and why?

I'm trying to decide for my mustang, OD Auto or 5 speed OD manual

the car is currently a 3 speed non od auto
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I'd go with a manual transmission, but sometimes an auto is nice. It all depends how you like to drive. For example, my little ole BMW is a 5-speed and the wife's Buick is an auto. I couldn't imagine driving the Buick if it was a 5-speed, it'd be too weird. The BMW for me is a TON more fun to drive, while the wife thinks it's too rough. It has a set of coilovers on it. LOL
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:28 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

3 speed auto w/no O/D?

OUCH!!! I bet it really gulps the gallons.

Do the manual, not only will the car be more fun to drive, but you will also have the added benefit of O/D.
Hounddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #4
Proverbial threadkiller

I loves me some manual transmissions! One down four up, five on the floor, three on the tree........ Loves 'em.

That said, in any kind of a performance (read: drag) application, I really do prefer a stout slushbox. I've just missed enough shifts that I'd only really consider stick for a vehicle I could drive nice and liesurely. I mean, really, an old C-10 stepside still painted U.S. Forestry Service green, complete w/ staright six and Dynaglass radials,........Not like you'd expect that thing to be chirping tires between gears.*

If the 'Stang's already an auto, the AOD would probably be a lot easier to get in there, too. I'll vote for the AOD on this one.

*Buddy of mine had one of these. My three on the tree was in a four-door Nova, also w/ the six, street treads, and dog dish hubcaps.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i drive a manual. cheaper up front cost, and much more fun to drive. better gas mileage too. the only thing that sucks is driving in traffic!
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:39 AM   #6
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Manual Off Road. Automatic On Road.
But to tell you the truth they both have their positives and negatives. "F^ch it, buy 2. One of each.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:02 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Well it depends... If its gonna be a hot-rod then manual. If its gonna be a cruiser then defiantly an automatic... easier on the left leg.....
AB8DQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:15 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

It would really depend on what your doing with the car.
If your just going to beat it on the street,want to hang the ass end out all the time and then cruise down the I then I would go manual.
Myself I like to go fast really quick so all my past mustangs have been swapped to a auto trans with a nice stall and usually GM transmissions either a glide or when the lower first gear was needed a TH350.I am not much on ford automatics.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:40 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

if your putting it in, go with the 6 speed you wont be sorry. Yes I said 6 speed not 5. Not sure what one your putting it in but, its become very common to swapout the weak 5sp in the newer (94 thru 04) stangs for a 6sp.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:03 AM   #10
RCC Addict

If it is a "fun to drive" type car, go stick. If it is a "daily driver and I have to talk on the phone constantly" type car, go auto.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I just prefer the interaction I have with the vehicle that has a manual trans. I feel like I have a bit more control over the machine plus there are certain situations where a manual is helpful. Best example is last winter during a snow storm the battery in my F250 went dead in the driveway, there was no way of jumping the truck w/ cables so I jumped into the Camry ( with a 5 speed!) and set out to go to the parts store. I was able to start the car on slippery hills using 2nd or 3rd gear to 'lug' the engine so that one of the front tires wouldn't spin out on me. I was having fun!

I my F250 I have the uber heavy duty ZF5 speed trans, there's no other way to have it! That trans will outlive everything other component in the truck.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

In all applications I see no reason to drive an automatic...unless you can't drive

Being a fun car, you need a manual. Best for cruising and of course some spirited driving...and sure its not the best for Drag racing...but drag racing a auto is too easy imo, makes any driver better because they have less important things to do.

To me real drivers (drag strip included) use a manual.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #13
RCC Addict

ive got a munual in my pick up. but prefer an automatic. way to much shiffting on my 4cyl.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I just prefer the interaction I have with the vehicle that has a manual trans. I feel like I have a bit more control over the machine plus there are certain situations where a manual is helpful.
This. Unless you're gonna be stuck in traffic, then go auto.

But I don't think traffic is gonna be a problem in Montana
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #15
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
If it is a "fun to drive" type car, go stick. If it is a "daily driver and I have to talk on the phone constantly" type car, go auto.
Exactly what I was going to say.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #16
RCC Addict

I prefer manual, even in traffic. I feel it makes you a better driver since you have to pay attention a lot more to whats happening on the road. Any brain dead numb nuts can drive an auto, not very many can drive manuals.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Manual all the way. I absolutely hate everything about automatics, the sound, the condescension of PRND; oh this guys far too stupid to use 2 feet at the same time.
**** em.
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

It really is going to depend on what you want to do with the car. If your just gonna use it for a sunday drive with the woman and kids. Go auto. If your gonna drive the car hard and race drag strip style, go with a built auto and a good stall converter. If you want to use it for track style racing, road course, time attack, autocross, drifting, go manual. Or what ever you feel best suites your needs and pocket book.

Build what you want, not what others tell you to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
To me real drivers (drag strip included) use a manual.
Show me a consistent sub 10 second car or truck that runs a manual trans, hell show me a consistent sub 11 car thats a manual. YA i said consistent. I know there is a few manual cars out there that will pull these times. I know of a few manual cars that have dipped into the 9's... To many variables to do it consistently tho. Straight up drag car should be an auto. Do you see many professional drag teams use a manual? I do not want to start an argument, I just feel your statement is not correct.
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #19
Sinking with the ship

6 speed tremec... Everything I own is a manual. Way more fun to drive and it prevents people who you dont want to drive them from using them because they cant drive stick

If you do an auto, I would do something with an overdrive and a manual valve body
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by irok22s View Post
Show me a consistent sub 10 second car or truck that runs a manual trans, hell show me a consistent sub 11 car thats a manual. YA i said consistent. I know there is a few manual cars out there that will pull these times. I know of a few manual cars that have dipped into the 9's... To many variables to do it consistently tho. Straight up drag car should be an auto. Do you see many professional drag teams use a manual? I do not want to start an argument, I just feel your statement is not correct.
NHRA Pro Stock.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote