RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/)
-   -   Pathway to the real world? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/352907-pathway-real-world.html)

motorman1600 12-09-2011 11:15 AM

Pathway to the real world?

Hello everyone, I teach an Auto shop class in a High School. Our area has a shortage of classes that teach any kind of hands on stuff. My principal found out that I have been involved in this hobby and is very interested in offering a class next year based on the different pathways to the real world job market that Radio control hobbies can offer. At first glance it would seem to be fun and what the heck, playing with toy cars and trucks at school, sweet. The reality of it all sets in and lot of work looms on the horizon.
Here is a question for all of you who are experts at what you do. Would you be willing to submit a thread showing for example, welding a chassis , designing a tube chassis or trail rig chassis, how to set up electronics, etc, etc? I would of course give you the credit for the thread as I present it in a classroom setting. We would like to show the different types of career fields that are possible while making the focus of the class radio control and building of cars and trucks. I would like to keep the main class of the rigs to crawlers because it offers the best opportunity to use their imagination and develop new skills. We would be making totally custom rigs using only the basic parts like axle kits and transmissions. Etc. We would most likely purchase a small lathe and mini mill.
Any thoughts or comments will be read by me and possibly the administration at my school. Thanks to all. Bill

jetboat 12-09-2011 12:09 PM

are you looking for a thread or more of an emailed write up? There are already plenty of what your looking for on here but, I could do a couple for you if you like. I can take:

Delrin over allthread links
chassis brazing with safty silv and Mapp

motorman1600 12-09-2011 12:51 PM

I really don't want to use someone's thread unless they have knowledge of what it is going to be used for. If someone already has something that is good to go then just send me a link and I will use it as long as they give permission to do so. Your topics are good ones to use. Just include what career they would relate to. Thanks for the input. I will download the links to my main computer and arrange them at a later date.

TattooKenny 12-09-2011 05:52 PM

Like Jet said, there is a thread already for everything your asking about. Look at the sticky's in each forum and you will find most of them. What you don't see there just use the search.

korn_2956 12-09-2011 11:09 PM

Call in virgin 101

slobin3d 12-10-2011 09:25 AM

I could see some write ups on how RC affects your profession life, or conversely how your profession influenced your R/C's. I know that for me R/C has taught me basic wiring, problem solving, soldering (which I do alot and am very good at), Brazing, Project management, Marketing, Modeling, and lots more.

In my professional life, When I was a full time Glazier I was a crew leader and used the skills I leaned organizing event to manage my co-workers, I Also install and repair Automatic doors, they are Giant servo's almost everything applies there, and now I am a retail Manager at a hobby shop. (cheating I know) But I learned how to be a salesman, and deal with the public from my previous years working in the hobby. Because of my connection in construction, I do a lot of non-R/C work too. I've fixed everything from $20 power tool switches, to 300k Asphalt machine's Remote control box, to making custom power inverter for a chocolate candy cutting machine, to rewiring a power panel for a industrial lathe.

korn_2956 12-10-2011 10:45 AM

There you go dude. Teach a class on how cool slobin is

motorman1600 12-13-2011 03:04 PM

Thanks for the information. I hope the class is a go. I will use many of the threads here on RCC. They have high hopes for the project, I hope they have some $$ to go along with it.

Scale_Crawler 12-13-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by korn_2956 (Post 3430538)
There you go dude. Teach a class on how cool slobin is

What is your deal?

korn_2956 12-13-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scale_Crawler (Post 3442120)
What is your deal?

Just messing around. Why

spookyseven 12-13-2011 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorman1600 (Post 3428649)
My principal found out that I have been involved in this hobby and is very interested in offering a class next year based on the different pathways to the real world job market that Radio control hobbies can offer.

Just to condense your post this is the base of your question, so here is my opinion. The way I see it the core parts of a radio control buisness are like other buisness. The core aspects can be broken up into two parts, the buisness side and the physical side. The buisness side is like any other buisness where you cover marketing/sales/management and the physical side is made up of things like r&d/drawing, machening and welding. If you wanted to make a class that covered aspects like this is an Entrepreneurship class a good idea? I guess the point I'm trying to make is you can teach people how to make a product but it doesnt do much good if they don't know how to market and sell it. Another question is if you had a class like this, do you want to limit to rc? There are other hands on hobbys that can turn into small buisnesses.