Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Ruger 10/22 Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
Sometimes, I make things.

Default Ruger 10/22 Talk

A couple friends and myself have been mildly getting into .22 target shooting lately and I am starting to modify mine. I am pretty new to real firearms, I have been into paintball gun collecting and customizing for a while, now it's time for some projectiles that are serious (I know .22 isn't that serious but fun nonetheless)

I have been on a waiting list for a bullpup stock for my 10/22 for a while, my number is finally up, and I am sending payment very soon. Here is a link to the stock:

Wix.com bullpup stock created by jbunting based on Country Diner

I have heard good reviews of this stock and it looks like it will make my little rifle a fun shooter. I will either be going with a fixed 4x scope or a 3-9x scope and mounting a red dot sight on top of that. I will be adding a laser to one side and a flashlight on the other rail on the sides of the stock. Will also be adding a trigger job and some internal upgrades, and likely a Kidd bull barrel in 18" to round out the package. I will have pics up when its done but it will be a few months before it is done and shooting.

I am curious to hear opinions on my setup and also would like to see and hear about your 10/22 modifications and experience. I am new to this but am eager to learn.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
cherry bomb

Default Re: Ruger 10/22 Talk

sounds like the perfect setup for a "mall ninja"
if you're "target shooting" get a target stock and a heavy barrel, a 3x9 scope is perfect.
i'm more interested in shooting sub-moa groups (5 shots in roughly the same hole) if you want to look like you got a bling airsoft gun go for it.

it's your rifle, do with it what you please defenatly not my thing.

this is however.

Last edited by fred0000; 12-14-2011 at 06:57 PM.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

i had a hoped up ruger 10/22 target... it was a real tack driver
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
cherry bomb

they can be built into spectaular shooters. no matter what approach you take crazyorigin please share your build here, i'd like to check it out either way.

i'm on the fence for my .22 purchase, I like the idea of a bolt action "target gun" but the aftermarket parts support for the 10-22 is AMAZING!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I'm not digging that bullpup stock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
this is however.

This however is freaking sweet!!

I just picked up my first 10/22 last night. Actually picked up two; a woody for me and a composite for the ole lady. I added a 3-9x30 Simmons scope and sling stubs to both. Ours will primarily a target and Appleseed gun.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #6

Airsoft? That is for kids.

I would say I am more trying to emulate the size and feel of a paintball gun. Not to brag but I am a darn good shot with a paintball marker, I think if can replicate the profile and feel of a paintball marker, my muscle memory from playing paintball should adapt itself easily for real projectiles. I plan to add a bull barrel for sure. I like some of the target stocks but really want to give the bullpup a try, I am not looking for really tight MOA groups, just something I can easily and reliably hit roughly a 3" target at a good distance.

My friends and I will be setting up obstacle courses with targets and probably even some mobile target shooting from moving vehicles so i am looking for something that is very mobile and compact, I figured the bullpup would be ideal for the intentions I have for the gun.

I doubt I will be shooting up many malls, haha

My stock is getting a custom black and white paint job, the machinist liked the idea when I ran it by him, he had been wanting to do a winter themed color scheme on one anyways.

I also have a bolt action .22 that I picked up a few years ago. It is a WWII training rifle, it is modeled after an M1 Garand but chambered in .22. It has nice adjustable peep sights. I plan to pick up a couple clips from it and start shooting that as well, I need to sight it in still but it should be a nail driver, it is quite heavy and well built.

Last edited by crazyorigin; 12-14-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorigin View Post
I think if can replicate the profile and feel of a paintball marker, my muscle memory from playing paintball should adapt itself easily for real projectiles.
Check out an Appleseed event. Seriously! Shooting rifle is not about muscle memory. Its about taking the muscle memory out of the equation for more accurate shooting. It will change the way you shoot.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Mine is an older model. Tapped for sights with wooden stock.

I have the rotary mag and a 30rd. mag for goofing around. It had a bolt on flash suppresor when I got it. I left it cause it looks cool and doesn't hurt anything.

Fun rifle! When I get serious I'm going to get a bull barrel and match style stock.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #9
cherry bomb

I see what you're after, and your stock choice suites the bill, I would ditch stacking the optics though thats tacky, i'd start with the red dot since they can be had for cheap and go from there if you feel the need for more "zoom"
I played paintball for years aswell it was good fun, but nothing like shooting a real rifle. (airsoft may be for "kids" but it's closer to shooting a real gun then paintball will ever be)
Old 12-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #10

Not trying to start an Airsoft vs Paintball debate but I don't see how little rubber BB's compare to sending lead down range. Most all airsoft guns are modeled after real firearms so they may feel more realistic but if you want realism, there are plenty of paintball markers modeled after real firearms. I am not into "Milsim", I think if it looks like a real gun why not get a real gun?

I vote for a 68 caliber projectile over a little rubber BB. back on track......

I will check out the Appleseed events to see what they are about. I am new to firearms, I have been around and shot them my whole life but until recently, haven't taken a Hobbyist approach to them, I am looking forward to learning.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs up Re: Ruger 10/22 Talk

Heres mine....

ArchAngel 5.56 kit
ArchAngel extended mag realease
MoBuff derlin recoil pin
NCStar Red/Green scope
NCStar 100 lumens tactical light
Magpul Rail covers
UTG foregrip

I've already put 200 rounds in it since I got it. Had a stock 10/22 before but wanted something a bit more AR-ish looking. The Ruger XB-25 round mags work awesome, I'd stay away from any drummags. They're hit or miss. The 50round Promag drum doesn't do it for me, jams after 3-5 rounds.

There are thousands of hop ups for Rugers. My next .22 will be a GSG 522. Happy Hunting.
Attached Images

ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
RCC Addict

The 10/22 is one of my favorite guns ever. You need 2 of them,one with a floated bull barrel for driving tacks and one with a folding stock and 30 round clips for having fun with.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405 View Post
Heres mine....

ArchAngel 5.56 kit
ArchAngel extended mag realease
MoBuff derlin recoil pin
NCStar Red/Green scope
NCStar 100 lumens tactical light
Magpul Rail covers
UTG foregrip

I've already put 200 rounds in it since I got it. Had a stock 10/22 before but wanted something a bit more AR-ish looking. The Ruger XB-25 round mags work awesome, I'd stay away from any drummags. They're hit or miss. The 50round Promag drum doesn't do it for me, jams after 3-5 rounds.

There are thousands of hop ups for Rugers. My next .22 will be a GSG 522. Happy Hunting.

My buddy liftedxj has that same stock in black, it is really quite nice. How do you like the NC Star optics? That was the brand I was looking at for my 3-9x32 scope with the triple rails on it.

I am not concerned with tackiness of stacked optics, I just would like a versatile setup. The red dot for quick shooting and the scope for when I want to get some tight groups.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Dewey I have a 1022-t and really like it-what did you do to "hop up" yours?
tim the toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #15
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Wanting it to be versatile is understandable but trying to something to be good at everything is just about impossible. If you insist on a traditional scope and a red dot, get a couple repeatable quick detach optic mounts so you can swap back and forth. Having a red dot up high where you can't get a repeatable cheek weld isn't going to be quick or accurate.

If you think that bullpup will work for you, more power to ya. Not my cup of tea. I do own 4 (or is it 5? I can't remember) but so I do love the 10/22. However, mine all sport wood stocks of some type.

My most accurate and fastest handling is basically a target version in a baracuda style thumbhole stock. It's super comfortable and very lightweight.

Scope in picture was an old Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x fine crosshair. Fantastic glass but parallax/focus wouldn't adjust inside of 50 yards and it was just too much magnification. It currently wears a Weaver V-series 4-16x42mm. Great scope, wouldn't put any less of an optic on a .22 for target shooting... Parallax is adjustable inside of 20 yards and has crisp and repeatable adjustment turrets.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:56 PM   #16

That last one is nice Jus, I dig it. I like the thumb hole and pistol gripped stocks. I know the bullpup won't be good at everything, if I planned for a target only, extreme accuracy shooter I would go with something like you have there. I can always build another, I would go with a 2 stage Kidd trigger most likely, they are super smooth, but take some getting used to. A friend of mine let me shoot a similarly equipped one to what Jus posted, I did pretty decent with it, with more time it would be incredibly accurate. That is a good point on the cheek rest, I will definetly do some thinking on that. Might just do as suggested and get a red dot first, then a scope, I know i can get the red dot to be comfy, and until I get a feel for what it might need for glass I will do that down the road. Good discussion so far, keep it going, I know there is thousands of variations of the 10/22 out there.

I am also trying to build a "what the hell is that thing?" Type of gun, something different, I have never seen one with this stock personally and like trying new things. It will also be nice and packable for camping expeditions that was another goal.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:01 AM   #17
dnf

The 10/22 needs nothing, you dont need a fancy stock, or a heavt barrel.

Very few people shot as tight a pattern as we do, in fact, it sounds wierd, but if you "hit" our target, you actually missed...and we dont do jack except throw on a good scope.

we do use the same ammo all the time, different ammo will shoot different.

we use cci with excelent results.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:34 AM   #18
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

I'd get the Kidd 2 stage for a bench rifle, but a pretty nice, somewhat stock trigger could be built for the bullpup. I did one for the G/F's rifle that is about a 1 pound pull. The 10-22 is a great builder platform, so many ways to go.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:58 AM   #19

I would think about pulling your light and laser off of that gun. For what you are wanting to do it will not help any and itll just add weight to the gun and also get in the way depending on your shooting position. Have you looked at any GSG5s? It looks like a MP5 but is a 22 and its has become a really popular gun. Also you should take a look at the S&W MP15. That would give you the best feel that you are looking for compared to a paintball gun.
guncrazy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

I picked up a Mossberg 702 when Wal-Mart had them for $107. The 10/22 were over a $100 more at the time. Its a fun gun to shoot but the trigger isn't very smooth and there aren't many accessories for it. Now, that the 10/22 are on sale for $170 for Christmas I kind of wish I had waited. I have $107 in the rifle and $25 in a 4x scope so for less than $107 I have a fun to shoot .22. If it were me I would do the same with a 10/22. Snag one at a good price, throw a decent scope on it, and have fun.

On the other hand if I were to deck one out, I like the tacti-cool look. Big scope, big muzzle brake, and a bipod.

You could also keep the 10/22 as a nice stock'ish gun and pick up a cheap Mossberg to convert to a bull pup. Check out youtube. Someone took a $100 702 plinkster and put it in a $50 P90 airsoft frame. Bullpup for $150 is cheaper than some 10/22 stocks.
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruger 10/22 Talk - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Talk me out of.... oldvintageiron Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 03-16-2010 08:26 PM
who to talk to?? mcreil41 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 12-15-2009 09:30 AM
Ruger LCR Shaun Chit Chat 17 05-28-2009 03:39 PM
Ruger LCP vs Kel TEc P 3AT vs.......... 72Blazer Chit Chat 22 03-30-2009 02:23 PM