Notices

Thread: Scale Nats cancelled??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #101
Donkey Punch Champion!

Default Re: Scale Nats cancelled??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate08;
That being said however there are better ways to go about starting and promoting an event than resorting to childish drama and highschoolesque videos.
Let's be perfectly clear, this thread has NOTHING to do with bashing the previous scale national event to now promote another venue.
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2011, 09:40 PM   #102
RCC Addict

tim you make it happen and i will be there with 3 rigs ready to run
VP Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
Lets say, without Oregon, Washington and Utah guys, the Montana event would never happen. It's dominated by the PNW and Utards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted4lyf View Post
PNW Scale Nats has a nice ring to it.
I like the ring of that-hmmmmmmm
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #104
www.team3sixrc.com

YES, Its fawking Long! read it before you tear me an a-hole

I have been sitting here for the past 4 hours trying to figure out what I want to say and just how to say it.

(The Good)
For the past 4 years I have attended MSD's Scale Nats.

For the first year I didnt know anyone. it was the first scale event I had ever attended. The one thing I noticed was that there were a lot of helpful guys who didnt know me at all, and still went out of thier way to help me and give me advice and even sell me a servo to continue forth.

It was that event that I first met Devlin and Tim and thought. What a great bunch of guys.

Because of that helpful, mentoring attitude and the fact of sharing the love of scale among others. I was really hooked and impressed.

That being said, a few years later.... and mind you not hearing shit from any of you about this crap. I started to help out with the organizing of the sponsors for the event.

So this year and last year I was responsible for probably about 80% of the sponsors that donated to the Nats!

Now I can say that last year pretty much everyone I talked to had fun. I never heard anything bad about the event or even Ben for that fact. I did what I needed to do to make the event cool, fun, and enjoyable.That year it rained, and rained, and rained and in crap weather everyone still wore a happy face. I can bet BULU's Video's can attest to that.

I can say that was by far my favorite event. It even seemed well planned and I had nothing to do with the event except for asking for help from the Vendors to support MSD Nats. Nothing more!

This year I aimed to go big, I wanted to be more involved with Nat's and make it bigger and better than it had ever been as far as sponsorship went. I talked to Ben, I talked to Aaron. I told them what I wanted and what I was willing to do to get it. The Number 1 thing I wanted more than anything was mad respect and advertising up the ass for every vendor that donated to the event. and as to those that went this year, I appologize for the longest giveaway ever in the history of an RC event. I had no idea that there was so much donated and I thank the vendors for opening up and helping me out. I can honestly say that pretty much everyone that was there was very happy and thankful for your generosity.

Anyone who knows me, knows how pationate I am about scale, and the vendors that make our little niche better. So when I ask a Vendor or a manufacturer to help out an event and promise them things. I meant it from my heart.

(The Bad)
Over the years I would like to say I have become pretty good friends with Badger and Jason. they have never strung me on and always told it to me straight. No matter if I like it or not.

Before I got underway, I talked to Badger quite often and told him what I was doing and pleaded like hell to get Badger to come. He told me to watch my back, he told me dont do this for free. He was looking out for my best intrest.

By this time I had started to hear the stories from other sources who I will just say are reliable people and dont need to have thier names broadcast. I dont know if they are true but as Ill explain later. I can see how they might be.

I had found out some pretty shitty things that had happened over the past years from MSD Nats. Things like for example:

an Hpi Baja that was donated to Nats, Just disappearing!

Ben stealing peoples wheel designs and calling them his own.

promises made to people for thier donations without concent from others.

and more things I am sure if I think about it.

But I kept on with Badger, begging him to come this year. Telling him that I really believe that Ben has changed. ect, ect. But Badger wasnt buying it. I would continue...

(The Ugly)
I busted my ass this year getting sponsors to donate, calling out favors, calling on friends I have known in the R/C business years before I even came on RCC from back in the day when I was once a sponsored touring driver.

And all these calls were promises I made based on Ben's promises in his event sponsorship sheets. Not a huge deal to show a little respect toward vendors who are basically GIVING away thier products and all they asked for was some advertising, some banners hung, and some damn T-Shirts with thier logo on them.

What I got was a bad planned event to those sponsors that made a long trip to our little po dunk state to see an event I pushed as being the top of the game, the best of the best, the best damn time anyone ever had at Nats.

And I will tell you I blame a few things. I blame Ben for not being attentive of the event because he has a store to run now. (Personally I would of never had the event if I couldnt dedicate my time to it.)

I blame Ben for not taking time to listen to people who have helped him in the past plan on the event by over loading it with 5 events in 3 days with over 60 people attending.

I blame plain and simple bad execution to a good thing.

and to top it off the tickets were an unbeliveable $20.00 more than the year before for free land and some badly taken care of porta potties?

We even had a food both there and that didnt come out of Ben's pocket.

And yes before anyone gets started on me. Most of my tickets were comped for my help. But I was still offended because it was ME that put my GOOD NAME and WORD on this event.

and to make it personal. It pisses me off when Ben was kissing Brad from Axial's ass showing him the T-shirts and say "look at all the Vendors I got to sponsor the event this year, the most we have ever had" and I was right there with my jaw dropped to the floor. and yes you bet I corrected him on that.

Then the day of the events, where is Ben? when Me, Tim, and Dan are getting drivers tech'd in. Aarons in the shop getting a truck ready for Crawl magazine. Ohh, there's Ben...out consorting with everyone else. Now I dont mind helping because of my love for the event, but if you want my opinion to who really ran the event. It was the Judges, the Drivers, and the A hole who got sponsors.

(The absolute shitty)
I dont know if its true, I dont know honestly. But it doesnt add up.

A month before the event you may of read my little article on my trip to The Hobby Garage. Well I didnt lie, It is all that and a bag of tricks. I think they need more employees for the amount of people they get in there. The prices are fair, the shop is great. IMHO!

But what really burned my ass is something I found out.

Ben was looking for someone to build this Cheap truck.

I mentioned to him "how about DH Fabrication. Clean work and he was willing to do it as a favor to me.

Ben says " Why would I go to DH Fab, he has never donated anything to MSD Nats?" I then say "what the hell are you talking about, he donated the year before and donated quite a few items"

So I am looking around the shop and I see DH fab stuff on his display shelf. HUH!? "Ben, you got DH Fab stuff right here" He then says "yeah I purchased that stuff from him." OK Fine.

So the day before the event. DH Fab has donated enough to sponsor all the courses for 1.9 Class AND he is here at the event.

I pick him up at the airport, go to the shop, Dave looks around and wonders to himself. Why are my Bumpers and sliders here?

He tells me about it that night at the hotel and I say "He said he purchased them from you" He said no he didnt. He just asked me in the store if he could buy my product!"

I'll let you put the pieces together.

So besides all I know, all that has happened, Ben telling me "Dont make me come up there and punch you in the mouth" when I asked him why the MTHEAD signs were not on the courses on day 2.

Vendors having to hang thier own banners on the courses.

Drivers getting delegated to judge a course when they had no experaince.

Drivers getting mis judged for points

and a few other things that have been posted in this thread.

PLUS, My looking like a Fawking A-HOLE to everyone I asked to sponsor the event who most likely will never do a thing for me again.

Yeah, I am pissed. and badger was right!

(The Calm before the storm)
The truth is I like Aaron, he is a good guy and sadly I feel he is the guy that has to answer for Ben. I talked to Aaron tonight and told him its nothing personal, but he can not fight Ben's battles.

Ben maybe a used car salesman, But we all along the way bought into his sales pitch, eventually finding a leak in the engine and realizing its wasnt the great deal afterall.

From a Business point. I will buy from the Hobby Garage because its close to me and my own hobby shop sucks and its a good shop.
Currently I sell Ben my products to sell in his store and wish him luck. But I am about fed up of the B.S. as you all are as I am sure the business arrangement is now over.

As for Ryan posting this. Yeah it was funny but enough is enough. If you got a problem with Ben. Handle you business with him. this stupid little video huts the scale community no matter what you think. I like ya and your a good guy, but this thread was bad timing and wrong place.

As for Harley bashing on the scale rules. Dude, If you really love scale and thought you could of done something good for the rules commitee. Why in the hell didnt you just ask to be on the commitee.

And Tattookenny. I purchased your ticket and you know that, I had your shirt and asked you 3 times for your addy so I could ship it to ya. then you disappeared for a few months?

I have said enough, Hate me if you want. But I spoke the truth no matter how hard the pill is to swallow.

Last edited by team3six; 12-20-2011 at 11:16 PM.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #105
I wanna be Dave

You get an A+ in my book
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #106
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaller View Post
Let's be perfectly clear, this thread has NOTHING to do with bashing the previous scale national event to now promote another venue.
Thank you for the clarification.
Nate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:28 AM   #107
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
As for Harley bashing on the scale rules. Dude, If you really love scale and thought you could of done something good for the rules commitee. Why in the hell didnt you just ask to be on the commitee.
The points are fine, I think you missed the point of those posts. I didn't want to be on the committee because like I said I think the basis of competing with scale trucks doesn't make a ton of sense. However I still get what we do, and still enjoy it.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #108
I wanna be Dave

I'd just like to thank everyone for chiming in with their experiences surrounding this event. It's eye opening to say the least.

BTW, Norm.... You're a damn good guy and I'd put money down that every person here knows that. I'm sure this would go for the sponsors and vendors you've worked with, too. If nothing else, I still like ya!
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #109
Donkey Punch Champion!

Quote:
For the past 4 years I have attended MSD's Scale Nats.

The one thing I noticed was that there were a lot of helpful guys who didnt know me at all, and still went out of thier way to help me and give me advice.

*last year pretty much everyone I talked to had fun.
*I talked to Badger quite often and told him what I was doing and pleaded like hell to get Badger to come. He told me to watch my back, he told me dont do this for free.
*I had started to hear the stories from other sources.
*found out some pretty shitty things that had happened over the past years from MSD Nats.

****example****
1. Hpi Baja that was donated to Nats, Just disappearing!

2. Ben stealing peoples wheel designs and calling them his own.

3. promises made to people for thier donations without concent from others.

*I really believe that Ben has changed. ect, ect. But Badger wasnt buying it. I would continue...
*I busted my ass this year getting sponsors to donate, calling out favors, calling on friends I have known in the R/C business years before I even came on RCC.
*based on Ben's promises...
*I got was a bad planned event.
*I blame Ben for not being attentive of the event because he has a store to run now.
*I blame Ben for not taking time to listen to people who have helped him in the past.
*the tickets were an unbeliveable $20.00 more than the year before for free land and some badly taken care of porta potties?
*food both there and that didnt come out of Ben's pocket.
*Ben was kissing Brad from Axial's ass showing him the T-shirts and say "look at all the Vendors I got to sponsor the event this year, the most we have ever had" and I was right there with my jaw dropped to the floor.
****Then the day of the events, where is Ben? when Me, Tim, and Dan are getting drivers tech'd in. Aarons in the shop getting a truck ready for Crawl magazine. Ohh, there's Ben...out consorting with everyone else. Now who really ran the event. It was the Judges, the Drivers, and the A hole who got sponsors.
***But what really burned my ass is something I found out.
Ben was looking for someone to build this Cheap truck. I mentioned to him "how about DH Fabrication. Ben says " Why would I go to DH Fab, he has never donated anything to MSD Nats?" I then say "what the hell are you talking about, he donated the year before and donated quite a few items" So I am looking around the shop and I see DH fab stuff on his display shelf. HUH!? "Ben, you got DH Fab stuff right here" He then says "yeah I purchased that stuff from him." OK Fine. DH Fab has donated enough to sponsor all the courses for 1.9 Class AND he is here at the event. We go to the The Hobby Garage and Dave looks around and wonders to himself. Why are my Bumpers and sliders here? He tells me about it that night at the hotel and I say "He said he purchased them from you" He said no he didnt. He just asked me in the store if he could buy my product!"
I'll let you put the pieces together.

***Ben telling me "Dont make me come up there and punch you in the mouth" when I asked him why the MTHEAD signs were not on the courses on day 2.
*Vendors having to hang thier own banners on the courses.
*Drivers getting delegated to judge a course when they had no experaince.
*Drivers getting mis judged for points
*Yeah, I am pissed. and badger was right!

*Aaron, he is a good guy but he can not fight Ben's battles.

As for Ryan posting this. Yeah it was funny. If you got a problem with Ben. Handle you business with him. This stupid little video hurts the scale community no matter what you think. I like ya and your a good guy, but this thread was bad timing and wrong place.

As for Harley bashing on the scale rules. Dude, If you really love scale and thought you could of done something good for the rules commitee.

And Tattookenny. I purchased your ticket and you know that, I had your shirt.

I have said enough.
For those who don't like to read novels by Norm, I chopped up the high and lowlights.

As for me posting the video, it sure has let alot of people vent. And once again, Nothing from Ben!.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #110
Oliver Custom Knives

I have never been to this event.....I WAS planning on going in 2012.....think not now( even if its not really canceled )
Karma is a BITCH ain't it.

On a side note...we have amazing terrain here in Farmington NM for scalers , lol
DwaneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #111
Try to Bend it

wow

That was an education
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #112
I wanna be Dave

love norms novels..

eye opener for shure...
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #113
Donkey Punch Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
wow

That was an education
Yeah, funny thing though...Ben is aware of all this and is just avoiding it. Meanwhile you can find him peddling his story on "other sites"...blame Canada!
Old 12-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #114
Try to Bend it

Douche.

Not that I am into scale yet. But I will not be buying his shit. Thanks for the heads up.

BTW That video was funny as. even if I didn't know why
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #115
Quarry Creeper

not defending anyone, dont have a dog in the fight, but why wait until now 7 months later to vent all of this?

I can say I would like to see this event travel. I live in Colorado and its still a long azz trip to get to this event.
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #116
I wanna be Dave

Damn

Norm, your posting was long, but definitely the most informative. Personally, I had a great time in 2010 and didn't see any of this, but obviously there's a lot more to the story here.

Really wish Ben would post up. Yes, he'd get hammered on no matter what he said, but it's not going to get any better if he doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaller View Post
blame Canada!
Meh, everyone else does
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #117
Donkey Punch Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan View Post
not defending anyone, dont have a dog in the fight, but why wait until now 7 months later to vent all of this?
It's not just 7 months later, it's a on going thing for this event when run by Ben.

I want the vendors to see one thing, the people support them and appreciate what they do for us as competitors!!

RC4WD gave each TTC Competitor a huge grab bag. As well as a lot of their swag was (thrown) handed out. The event holder has been called out. Yet, has nothing to say.

As for having any event in the future, I will attend one, just not run my this person.

And I think that is what most who have stories to share think, we want a Scale Nats.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #118
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan View Post
I can say I would like to see this event travel. I live in Colorado and its still a long azz trip to get to this event.
It's an even longer azz trip from Texas! Like NHRA does, there should be a few "Scale Nationals" around the country throughout the year, IMO, so people all over can have an opportunity to attend.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #119
www.team3sixrc.com

I really can give a crap if he posts.

My dealing with him have been business only. I have no problem with Aaron as I think his is tract in a bad situation trying support something he is passionate about.

True about posting this. It needed to said.

There will be a Scale Nats and I am somewhat involved in it. Just wont be in Montana.

And as I have discussed with many people here, a summer, winter, fall, spring Nats would be great.
I believe there is discussions of a Winter Nats in Texas and a Spring Nats in Nevada.

Just saying.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #120
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I believe there is discussions of a Winter Nats in Texas and a Spring Nats in Nevada.
Now, THAT would be cool! Winter in central/south Texas is absolutely beautiful!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/354613-scale-nats-cancelled.html
Posted By For Type Date
2012 Scale Nats... - Page 2 - Scale 4x4 R/C Forums This thread Refback 12-20-2011 05:34 PM

Scale Nats cancelled?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scale Nats Video......... BENDER Videos! 29 06-08-2008 07:29 PM
Scale rigs at the Nats 1BadJeepBruiser RC Rock Crawling Worlds 50 08-21-2007 11:22 AM