Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Another Story About Cancer - My Brother :(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2018, 08:04 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Another Story About Cancer - My Brother :(

My brother is retired, he's in 3 bands (not a typo), he is 68 and honestly, without any exaggeration, he's truly a nice guy - always positive, always nice to everyone, very mellow and the most incredibly organized and productive person I've ever met - his wife is nice also

My sister just told me he's been diagnosed with cancer and I can't post this on "social media" because some of our friends and extended family should hear about this from another source

But I'm just devastated - my sister has been a nurse for 42 years and she has worked with lots of patients with this disease (in its many forms)

She and my brother are only 18 months apart and their relationship is incredible so, we are all unsure what's next but what we know about now is such a shock

I know many of you have first-hand experience dealing with situations similar to this and most of the folks here are really great so, I'm grateful to have a place to let it all hang out and just vent - I'm still in shock - he has no record of health problems, he's known to tip a pint or two on occasion, but he's always been in great shape mentally and physically - nobody knew this was coming

My family is hoping for the best but, without going into details, the news we have so far doesn't leave much room for hope.

The main reason for this post - I hope every one of us will reflect on those around us who are dealing with the many difficulties we all eventually encounter and that will make us each determined to live life to the fullest and make every effort to be happy, as much as that's possible - that's what my brother would want - and that's what I want too

Thank you
Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Another Story About Cancer - My Brother :(

Sorry to her that! My wife has beat cancer. We had a scare that it had came back a few yrs ago, but thank God it didnt. I really hope n pray that the drs can get him thru it. Just stay positive n pray that God will lay hands on him n heal him. Will have yall in prayers my friend

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:14 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Man, really sorry to hear this. Hopefully he received regular check-ups and they caught it early, and it is treatable.

A couple of cancer stories here...
My wife's cousin was diagnosed with breast cancer last year, they caught it early, and they pretty much have it dealt with. One thing she did was to not eat two days before her chemo, cancer cells are carnivorous, and take in as much nutrients as possible, by fasting the cancer cells will readily take in the chemo, making it more effective.

My mother-in-law was diagnosed with breast cancer four years ago. Again, caught early, was dealt with and has been cancer free.

Two guys at work were both diagnosed with colon cancer. Deny had regular screenings, found it early and has been cancer free. John felt like something was not right, but his ego kept him from getting a colonoscopy. By the time he got one the cancer had spread. John put up a good fight, and lived fought with it for about eight years, but over all it was just too late, John passed away two years ago.

So, the lesson here is early screening.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:50 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Life is very fragile. I don't take it so seriously anymore. We do not remember anything before we were born and we won't remember anything after we are dead. Life is just a precious flash which we are a part of.

68 is an age where the body is already weakened and survival delicate, but that does not mean not to fight back.

Edit: I had seen a video explaining that in an alkaline body, cancer cannot survive.

Last edited by wings_of_fire; 12-08-2018 at 10:53 AM.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:14 PM   #5
Suck it up!

I've had a few friends and family members get the big C. Some made it easy breezy, some did not. The absolute best thing that you can do for a cancer patient is to not treat them like they're already dead. Stay positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings_of_fire View Post
Edit: I had seen a video explaining that in an alkaline body, cancer cannot survive.
True. But the body it is in cannot survive either. We have to maintain a reasonable balance, and a wild swing to acidic or alkaline will harm and/or kill us.

Simply drinking too many sports drinks with electrolytes is enough to put you deep enough into the alkaline state to mess you up, but is no where near enough to put a dent in cancer.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:16 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Sorry to hear about this brother. I lost my dad just over a year ago from small cell lung cancer. Depending on the type of cancer he has there might be holistic ways of getting rid of it. Best thing to do is be there for him. Stay positive brother. We're all here for you.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:12 AM   #7
Yashua

This is the tough one in life. Usually no early signs that most any of us would notice.
I'm 60, and I have spent time at to many bedsides because of this. As well as my wife standing beside mine, so I do feel your feelings my friend.
It "Is Not" a death sentence unless it is discovered in very advanced stages, and I've seen an instance that even late stage can be recovered from.
Speak positively, and stay positive. Your brother will appreciate that.
Prayers to your family.
Bob
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:46 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Sorry to hear that...he has a battle to face.

I lost both my sisters within a two year period to pancreatic cancer. The younger fought it for more than two years and ultimately lost; the older took one chemo treatment and gave up, only lasted a couple months. Apparently pancreatic is not the type you want to get.

My father overcame colon cancer at 55 and stayed in remission till he passed at 80. He relied on faith and determination to get through it...it can be done.

Like I say frequently, no matter what we may do or not do we all have a 100% chance of mortality, so live for today!
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks everyone
  • Who knows what lies ahead for any of us so, hell yes, live life every day to its fullest

Probably the most universally accepted statement of truth ever spoken

As far as support goes, he never had children and he lives in the old country across the pond (married a very nice woman that speaks funny - she's from that place) so, all of his remaining family live over here - as you can all imagine, logistically, this is not at all very convenient for those of us here in the US

We're workin on it - I'm fortunate enough to be able to help my sister with airfare - and I'm doing a job I really enjoy (most of the time - but not when I have whiny 20 year old students - ha) so . . . I don't want to paint a negative picture but my sister & I want to go over there very soon - just wish it was all under different circumstances, of course

I spoke with him yesterday and he's in good spirits - as expected - as always

Thanks again everyone - really!

Old 12-11-2018, 06:13 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Update

Today we found out the cancer began in one of his lungs, spread to his spine, then spread to this brain - that's why he's been having substantial/severe pain near his ear

His doctor said he thinks it's still stage one and they're going to start a 6-month chemo treatment before Christmas (personally, I know nothing about cancer or medicine in general but I don't understand how this much spreading could still qualify as "stage one" - very confusing)

Apparently they can't do radiation because it has spread

Another biopsy has been scheduled for Wed or Thurs of this week - the doctor needs to have the biopsy results to identify the type of cancer so they will know what type of chemo and so forth? (I may not be getting details of this accurately - sorry)

So, my sister (who is still working as a registered nurse) and I are planning to go to the UK soon - I've never been there

My brother and my sister-in-law both seem to be optimistic but let's face it, at this point, with this news and happening so fast, they're both pretty much in shock - we all are, of course

They do have many great friends who already have started supporting them - that's a good thing - they're both retired so they don't have to worry about work - another good thing

Thanks everyone

Old 12-11-2018, 07:15 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial Rose View Post

Update

Today we found out the cancer began in one of his lungs, spread to his spine, then spread to this brain - that's why he's been having substantial/severe pain near his ear

His doctor said he thinks it's still stage one and they're going to start a 6-month chemo treatment before Christmas (personally, I know nothing about cancer or medicine in general but I don't understand how this much spreading could still qualify as "stage one" - very confusing)

Apparently they can't do radiation because it has spread

Another biopsy has been scheduled for Wed or Thurs of this week - the doctor needs to have the biopsy results to identify the type of cancer so they will know what type of chemo and so forth? (I may not be getting details of this accurately - sorry)

So, my sister (who is still working as a registered nurse) and I are planning to go to the UK soon - I've never been there

My brother and my sister-in-law both seem to be optimistic but let's face it, at this point, with this news and happening so fast, they're both pretty much in shock - we all are, of course

They do have many great friends who already have started supporting them - that's a good thing - they're both retired so they don't have to worry about work - another good thing

Thanks everyone

May God be with them n lay hands on your brother. I hope they find out something soon n they can treat it. Just put everything in Gods hands n trust in him n the things he can do. God is very loving n if u ask for his help n believe in wat him, miracles can n will happen. Prayers for u n your family thru these rough times

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Limited knowledge here as well, but regardless of spread two things I know you want to hear at this point:

- Stage 1
- Not in the lymph nodes

I really feel like his chances are good even considering his age. Continuing thoughts and prayers y'all's way anyway!
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

thoughts and prayers to your brother, and his family including you.
also glad you feel comfortable enough to come here and share this extremely personal and sensitive subject.

please stay strong for him and keep us posted.

hey, this sounds like an even BETTER reason to go see a movie i already wanted to see...
https://www.letsfcancer.com/event/once-upon-a-deadpool/
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:49 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Man, that's a kick in the nuts. I feel for you and your family.
Been there, gone through that. Hope you can find time to make the trip.
Zippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:39 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Yesterday I lost a good friend and mentor to cancer. We all knew it was coming, due to the aggressive nature of the cancer he had, and its progress when it was found he decided not to have chemo. He was moved to hospice last week, so we all knew it was coming, but it still feels like a kick to the stomach.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:36 PM   #16

My wife was first diagnosed with cancer in 2002 Cervical cancer which resulted in complete hysterectomy.

She later was diagnosed with pancreas cancer and was slated for death and was being sent home with health care aide to control her pain in her last week to 10 days of life. By some miracle it mysteriously disappeared and scans came clean after being home for 2 full weeks time past her marked projected date for passing. Doctors had zero explanation beyond “miracles happen”.
It literally disappeared from scans, tests and imagining performed previously by 3 hospitals and several doctors. It was NOT a misdiagnosis or mistake by anyone.

The next bout she was diagnosed and treated for lung cancer. Piece of lobe removed followed by chemo and radiation.

A mere 2 months after completing chemo from the lung cancer, they found a cancerous lymph node in her left armpit and they operated and removed that fairly uneventfully.

Soon after was diagnosed with breast cancer and ultimately ended up with a complete double mastectomy, with more chemo treatments.

She was then cancer free for almost 2 full years , but then came yet another cancer diagnosis, this time being two lymph nodes INSIDE her chest cavity, one of which was pushing directly against the lower right chamber of her heart and back of lung causing heart failure and phenomena both.
That time was a bit scary with open chest surgery to remove lymph nodes and scrape outer wall of heart because the one lymph node they thought was only pushing on heart had actually adhered itself with the cancerous growth that was happening.
They first prior to surgery did 7 longgggg months of chemo to try and shrink it, operated, then followed surgery with 87 days of radiation.... back to back EVERY
day except Sundays.

The last radiation treatment was back in February and all has been quiet up until her last regular scan in September. Where they are now seeing three leasions on her spleen and one on her left kidney.
They are following and watching with scans and MRI’s, and the blood tests are showing negative for cancer, but they are concerned the blood tests might be false readings because of the radiation and chemo not so long ago.
Hence the reason for MRIs and CT scans regularly to actively watch for growth or shrinkage.... so far it’s stable and not alarming them.

Moral to the story.....

Cancer diagnosis isn’t always a death sentence.
Attitude matters
The fight in the person matters
GOOD doctors HUGELY matter
And I firmly believe if it’s not your time to go, it’s simply not your time.

She’s fought this like a trooper and still here and although beat up and emotionally drained, she’s overall doing pretty damn good. Her overall health is currently good, and her hair is FINALLY growing back long enough for her to not feel embarrassed constantly,

It’s amazing how’s she battled all this for so long and done so well, and yet I’ve known people to die from a hangnail.... literally. A friend had a messed up fingernail years back and infection got worse and worse until it ended up so bad in his bloodstream it took his life!

Love your Brother like there is no tomorrow and encourage him to remain as positive as he can be. I’m a firm believer in attitude is one of the largest factors in beating it. And a great attitude is soooooo much easier with positive and supportive people surrounding him.

Life’s short y’all. Yesterday is gone ... today is always a win.... and tomorrow is always the biggest gift of all.
Never write anyone off by a simple medical diagnosis.
Humans are STRONG
.... and miracles are REAL!!!

And yes..... CANCER SUCKS
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Another Story About Cancer - My Brother :( - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cancer free vito Chit Chat 10 04-28-2015 11:05 AM
Breast Cancer... Krawler Konceptz Chit Chat 22 05-28-2010 11:59 PM