Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Which will be around in 60 years?
Paperback books. Old school rules! 12 52.17%
iPad, kindle, other electronic reader thingys 3 13.04%
None. By then the zombie apocalypse would have happened. 3 13.04%
Who the hell reads? 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Books vs. iPad....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Books vs. iPad....

So I've got the day off, and I'm reading a book (yeah, I'm a fawking wild man) written in 2010. Lots of references to "new technology" like iPhones, Blackberrys, iPods, and all that. The last book I read was written in 1950, and obviously has none of that, but references a "phone booth," whatever that is

So I got to thinking, in 60 years, will anyone know what an iPad, iPhone, or Blackberry is?

Then I thought, shit, in 60 years nobody will know what a book is.

What say you, which technology will stand the test of time?
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Books vs. iPad....

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post
...references a "phone booth," whatever that is
It's where Superman changes clothes...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
dnf

My son got a kindle 3g for christmas, IMO it sux in comparison to a book in every way except one.....

with the e-readers, its much easier to find titles, thats about it.

The experience of reading from a screen is horrible, and some screens leave fingerprints badly.

Nope, I would much rather have the experinece of picking up the books while shopping, and while reading.

I would also rather build my sons "actuall" library rather than his " e-library"

I think the lessons learned from todays youth will let them see the value in the book initslef, I think books have already stood the tests of time and are proven.

E-books require more polutions created and dispose of, they will not stand the tests of time.

Last edited by rock hard; 12-29-2011 at 11:08 AM.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
Who's your Daddy-0!

IMO it will get to the point where you will only find books in a library. Do we still have 8tracks? Do we still have cassette tapes? Do we still VCR tapes? Hell, CD's are all but gone! Everything has become digital because it's easier and smaller. Most of the time people use books for information. With the web we can just look it up now. We talk with each other via the web. This is why the USPS is loosing so much $ and closing smaller PO's. I would be willing to bet that 80%+ of school kids don't know how to use a "card catalog" and have no idea what the Dewey Decimal System is! I bet half of you don't remember how to use it!

Book's wear out. They can't get wet. They are bigger than ipads and readers. You have to actually look to find info in them. You cant read a book at night without extra lighting. You can make print bigger in a reader but not in a book. Etc....

Many places have done completely away with paper files and filing and gone 100% electronic. I don't think it will be to long before books are all but gone. I don't think it will happen in my life but maybe my daughters.....
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

As much as I hated the ebook thing on my laptop years back...I use them on my Evo and iPod Touch and love them. Kinda makes me want a tablet/iPad to be honest for easier to read things.

That said...some books don't translate well enough, like the IT certification 900page books I have just too big and rich and a bit harder to quickly navigate to sections. Though more normal books do work well and I like the ebook format better than books for those types of reading.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I love my Kindle. Books suck and trying to find them sucks even more. I can spend an hour in a bookstore trying to find something worth reading. It takes me less than 5 minutes on my Kindle and I don't have to leave my lazyboy.
Not to mention the price difference. Buying books on my Kindle is WAY cheaper than buying the actual book. On average they are probably 40% cheaper with some being up to 90% cheaper.

I don't have the new Kindle Fire.....I got the other Kindle on purpose because the glare on the screen of the Kindle Fire is horrible and I don't need all the other apps, games, and bullshit that the Fire does.....I have my iPhone for all that crap.
The regular old kindle with the black letters on a paper colored anti-glare screen is awesome.
I love to read and always had a hard time finding stuff interesting to me. I don't like fiction. I like history, biography, memoirs stuff like that. Our local bookstore and our local library have such horrible selections of books I probably only read a couple of books a year. Since I bought my kindle I probably read 2 or 3 books a month.
cuzican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I have a Nook Color, love it! I love reading WAY more now with it.
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

dang that's what wrong with people today, they would rather flip there finger across a screen to turn a page instead of touching a REAL book ....i bet i'm the only person who has a cell phone in this world who uses it just for a phone while i'm on the road and away from my house ....plus it is over 4 years old and is a samsung sync ........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I'm just hitting a crossroads with eReading. I've been on that bandwagon since 2000 or so with the PocketPC iPac's and Microsoft's eReader and loved it. Now that it's more prevalent, I find myself preferring to read on my Bionic, but I want the hardcover for my bookshelf when I'm done....do I buy two copies of everything I read? One for the eReader and one for the shelf? Or do I give up on one or the other?
blue10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
dang that's what wrong with people today, they would rather flip there finger across a screen to turn a page instead of touching a REAL book
What's so great about flipping that paper page? That hardback you paid $40 for I can download for $.99. And I can put more ebooks in my library than you could in your entire house. I own plenty of books also and I think they have their place. But with what they cost and the space they take up it just makes since to go with e-readers. The pros outweigh the cons.

And your not the only one that just uses a cell for just calls! My dad has a OLD Nokia that can't get texts! And he wouldn't know how to use it if it did!
Old 12-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #11
No idea what I'm doing

I was just having a similar conversation last night about pictures. A lot of people say they like to have actual "prints" to hold in their hand to look at. I prefer to have and look at pictures on my PC...they are brighter, clearer, and easier to store and share with others.

We just had the Rocky Mountain News close down not too long ago because people get their news from the internet. Why would I want to buy a paper, when a quick online search will find me multiple articles on the event I want to read about?

My girlfriend works for a media company with multiple magazines under them. They are working very hard on iPad versions of almost everything they have, because they feel that's the way media is heading, and they don't want to be left holding the bag.

I think there will always be books, but the information in them becomes dated so quickly. Fiction will probably be around forever, but I think non-fiction will be replaced with something that is easier to keep current.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

You can get on rccrawler with an iPad.
I think books will be hard to find after at least 70 years, but they will still be used for a while.
Posted from my iPad.

Last edited by johnnie walker; 12-29-2011 at 01:34 PM.
johnnie walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Ummm stand the test of time? Not likely. Its not a suprise though. Technology is being marketed as cool. Its cool to read your Nook, but books are for fags. Hell most of the people I see with e-readers are playing Angry Birds anyway, not even using them to read.

Oh yeah, then theres SAVE THE TREES!

I do think eventually paperbacks & hardbacks will be a thing of the past, not hard to realize that. It will be interesting to see how people like Barnes & Noble and Waldens will handle the switch though. At some point regular books will be limited to state/fed libraries. Shoot even our local county library has almost as many computers as they do books. Its only a matter of time.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #14
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANOVRU View Post
It will be interesting to see how people like Barnes & Noble and Waldens .
Our Borders in town just closed too.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #15
~THE SCALE SHOP~

looks like i was the first for "who the hell reads"
i dont own either.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
Do we still have cassette tapes? Do we still VCR tapes? Hell, CD's are all but gone!
Cassettes, LP's, open reel, VHS. I have a ton of obsolete media, and it still gets used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
What's so great about flipping that paper page? That hardback you paid $40 for I can download for $.99. And I can put more ebooks in my library than you could in your entire house. I own plenty of books also and I think they have their place. But with what they cost and the space they take up it just makes since to go with e-readers. The pros outweigh the cons.
I can read a book without needing to charge it first. If the book sucks, I can leave it in the hotel room or on the plane. Or sell it to the used book store, if they're still in business. We have about 4,500 paperbacks here, some rooms are nothing but bookshelves. (Does that make me a hoarder? Or just a fire hazard?) And not all titles are available for e-readers. An out of print book still exists somewhere (I'm two titles short of a complete John D. MacDonald collection (that guy was a writing machine)).

And cut-up magazines make great ransom notes. Try that with your iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
looks like i was the first for "who the hell reads"
i dont own either.
Shame on you.

microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #17
MODERATOR™

Quote:
And not all titles are available for e-readers.
Some people say that's how vinyl records survived the dying years, though they're now popular again, thanks to the hipsters, who are otherwise completely worthless. Maybe they read books too, I have no idea.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #18
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Cassettes, LP's, open reel, VHS. I have a ton of obsolete media, and it still gets used.
As do I! But I can't go to any major store and buy a cassette, LP, open reel, 8 track, etc... I can't remember when the last time I saw a cassette player in Best Buy or WalMart or the like? Or a VCR for that matter.

Having the ability to take all of my books with me somewhere is nice also! If I need to find something in my books....easy! I just punch in the key words and bam, found it! Need to look up the meaning of a word in your book, yep they can do that for you also. My Ipad is good for 10 hours. I can assure you I don't want to read anything that long!

Recycle you say? I can do that with my iPad! And I can also get most of my $ back out of it at the same time!And I get to keep all of my books when it goes! Want to read my book also? I can send it to you wireless and free! While reading my ebooks I can watch videos and see pictures about what I'm reading in one click Don't feel like reading at the moment? No prob, my iPad will read it to me and do it in any voice I want!

I also get about 90% of my magazines digitally now. Saves me a TON of $$$!! I was buying between 20-25 magazines a month! And yes I can store the copies of the magazines also.

So all in all I just think the digital side wins in the end. But I do like reading a good book and will still buy them as long as I can. But I do check to see if I can download it before I spend the $ to buy the paper or hardback now.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I LOVE my Kindle...

I usually am reading up to 5 books at a time, and read whichever one is in the genre I'm feeling like at that point. It's hard to carry around a bunch of books, but I can carry all of them in my slim little Kindle with no problem. Then I can read whatever I feel like at that moment.

The only downside is that a book never runs out of battery
Del Montess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
dang that's what wrong with people today, they would rather flip there finger across a screen to turn a page instead of touching a REAL book ....i bet i'm the only person who has a cell phone in this world who uses it just for a phone while i'm on the road and away from my house ....plus it is over 4 years old and is a samsung sync ........bob

I think the same way, also I think my phone is older lol
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote

Books vs. iPad.... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chrome Books losikid Chit Chat 19 08-14-2011 03:18 PM
any good books? NeXt559 Chit Chat 19 09-12-2008 06:47 AM