Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: I'm buying a laptop... suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default I'm buying a laptop... suggestions?

I am such a goon when it comes to computers, I really have no idea what to look for and I want to buy something nice. So I figured you guys might be able to help, you guys have been a great help with all my other silly-newb questions. lol

What I am looking for:
I am an artist and I intend on doing some serious photo (photoshop, etc.) and video editing with my laptop.... I don't know what i need for that.
I think that is my only special need.... yup.
Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Your sounding like a Mac person Missy IMO Apple is head and shoulders above anything on the market a bit more money but you get what you pay for.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Your sounding like a Mac person Missy IMO Apple is head and shoulders above anything on the market a bit more money but you get what you pay for.
I'm leaning towards a mac, but the macbook is $1000 and that is the minimum. Will that notebook be enough for me?
Old 03-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

what kind of video are you looking at editing?
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
On the lookout for Rocks

I went with a MacBook Pro 15" with the 2.6GHz. You do get what you pay for with a Mac. I wouldn't bother with a 13" screen.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

macs... ugh, can't stand them. but that's just me.
adale4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantmotion View Post
I went with a MacBook Pro 15". You do get what you pay for with a Mac.
I got the same thing, love it!
I had always had PC's and after the Mac I won't go back.

It did cost me more then a PC, but all the PC's were not even comparable when it came down to it.

Keep in mind I work in CS4, Bridge and video editing software quite a bit and it is hands down better then my PC's I have used over the years.
It will take you a minute to get used to it, but once you do it is hands down easier to work with.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by foproy View Post
what kind of video are you looking at editing?
I am generally interested in video media, at the moment I am in the middle of a project, i am doing some interviews and I want to be able to edit them and cut them easily. why?
Old 03-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by adale4130 View Post
macs... ugh, can't stand them. but that's just me.
I am a little concerned because you are not the first person that has said something along those lines. can I ask why?
Old 03-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
I got the same thing, love it!
I had always had PC's and after the Mac I won't go back.

It did cost me more then a PC, but all the PC's were not even comparable when it came down to it.

Keep in mind I work in CS4, Bridge and video editing software quite a bit and it is hands down better then my PC's I have used over the years.
It will take you a minute to get used to it, but once you do it is hands down easier to work with.
oh wow, okay that is very good to hear... it is more money then I want to spend, but if I have learned anything from working in the hobby: you really do get what you pay for.
Thank you
Old 03-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
RCC Addict

The only thing I have against PC's is the useless garbage that most of them come pre-loaded with. That can be easily fixed by either building your own PC or uninstalling the useless stuff, but it's still annoying. I tend to be a bit of a mac fanboy from time to time, but have a hard time justifying shelling out the cash for one.

TURTLE has a point...macs seem to handle the video and photo editing better than pc's do, unless you shell out some money for a nicely spec'd pc.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

trying to better answer your question about the base level macbook.if you are looking to work on hd video, then the base level macbook will not be enough, if you are just doing sd stuff then that is sufficient. also if you want to do hd i recommend a desktop more than a laptop.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
The only thing I have against PC's is the useless garbage that most of them come pre-loaded with. That can be easily fixed by either building your own PC or uninstalling the useless stuff, but it's still annoying. I tend to be a bit of a mac fanboy from time to time, but have a hard time justifying shelling out the cash for one.

TURTLE has a point...macs seem to handle the video and photo editing better than pc's do, unless you shell out some money for a nicely spec'd pc.

LOL nice, so either way I am shelling out mad bucks... i am still leaning towards the mac. it seems that the mac will be the best for me, and if I am going to be in that price range anyways then I might as well get the best.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
trying to better answer your question about the base level macbook.if you are looking to work on hd video, then the base level macbook will not be enough, if you are just doing sd stuff then that is sufficient. also if you want to do hd i recommend a desktop more than a laptop.
hmmmm.... good point, but I am a college student and I really need a laptop for class, and it is easier to cart around from house to house everytime I move. Video editing is honestly something I have VERY little experience with. I am only getting into it for my latest project.
thank you though, I really appreciate your input.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

also dont just look at the mac store, you can find good deals on ebay for them as well, just check your sellers and make sure they are on the up and up.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
That is the point I came too.

In what I wanted from a computer if I was to go the PC route I would have to build it and I would end up getting stuck with a desktop.
Not what I wanted, so I paid a little more got portability and did not have to deal with the headache of building something.
Also never getting viruses and not having to deal with virus software is so nice.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #17

Quote:
also dont just look at the mac store, you can find good deals on ebay for them as well, just check your sellers and make sure they are on the up and up.
I went to a Best Buy checked out PC's and Mac's head to head and compared numbers. The good thing about dealing with the Apple store or a place like Best Buy is a killer warranty.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Okay, if you are totally computer illiterate, get a mac. If you have 1000 dollars to waste, get a mac. If you want to follow trends, get a mac.

My overclocked netbook can run photoshop, after effects and vegas better than any mac.

Last edited by bmx_ican92; 03-18-2010 at 08:12 PM.
bmx_ican92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

best buy and apple waranties are great if you can afford them, most students cant. also another worry in dealing with worst buy is if you find the help. i keep getting customers coming in because they cant get any help at best buy.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
best buy and apple waranties are great if you can afford them, most students cant. also another worry in dealing with worst buy is if you find the help. i keep getting customers coming in because they cant get any help at best buy.
Best Buy screwed me and thats enough for me they have lost all common sense when it comes to customer service or standing behind what they sell unless you buy the dam expensive extended warrantee they won't be getting any bussiness from me anytime soon.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote