Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: rockcrawling go-cart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2004, 04:48 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default rockcrawling go-cart

so i was out in my garage today cuting up my stock tlt chassis to fit in the pede tranny when i see in the corner of my garage a golf cart axel i think.
its a solid axel with unlocked diffs , and it has so many 4-link mounting area possible on it. it has just drum brakes,and where the drive-line would attach is just like my tlt axels but higher up for some high clearence drivelines lol. it just seems so perfect for my plan, provided i can lock the diff.
so it would be easy-ish to do if i found a front axel with steering cause this one has no steering, . there is a ton of extra shocks laying around the garage from my dads '70 chevy cst k5 blazer. dont know if they would work on it but its an idea.
i would probably use a motorcycle engine sense for some reason we also have like a billion of them too.
but dont you think that would be bad ass? a rock crawling truck ,go-cart sized with like a 400 sized engine id try to make it a mini rock buggy, lol
any comments or suggestions for a front axle.
p.s. i probably wouldnt be able to build it for quite a while cause i have to get a job and start college soon, oh man i hated high school, i hope college is cooler, but i know its good for me,in the long run so ill do it
yoda316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2004, 10:39 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: rockcrawling go-cart

Not sure on a front axle. Though I know a guy building something similar. He's built a single seat tube buggy frame. Then He added a 24 horse gas motor. He's using two Samuri front axles. A hydralic pump to run the drivtrain. So the gas motor will drive the pump which will in turn, turn the wheels. Making it a hydralic crawler. No tranny, transfer case, or drivelines. I'll post pics if I ever see it.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:02 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

that seems kinda big, although i am looking at a Samuri down the street but its got big tires on it so mabey the axles arnt that big , but whatever. wow a hydralic driven truck, that must make some serous torque.
my axel measures at about 42'' wide hub to hub, and 2 3/4'' diameter axel tube part. and the diff is about 7-9 inches tall. i dont know what id use for tires , i was thinking mabey 4-wheeler tires for one of the 4x4 kinds cause there skinnyish and i could get some beadlocks for them mabey.
yoda316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 06:58 PM   #4
RSI
Rock Crawler

ive been wanting to build a gokart rock crawler it would be the coolest thing ever! but theres a million axle options and i havent quite figured out exactly what wouldw ork the best and be relatively cheap, golf cart axles sound perdy good idea, i was thinking of using pack mule axles off a polaris pack mule thing, but then how would you steer lol, i got a riding lawn mower frame and stuff in the back i could suit the axles up to that and run 4 wheeler tires and a 4 wheeler motor so i could have reverse.....

ill go search around the internet and see if anyone has built one before!

ryan
RSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:34 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Where are the pics?
hcfr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 03:59 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I have built a 4 link mower before it was awesome while it lasted but lawnmowers tend to be to narrow unless you get a big one. with 2wd it still made it up some nice rocks. It would flip everytime it got a bit hairy though. Im thinking of doing another eventually as soon as i finish my race mower , my garage has become a full time custom mower shop. When its done im chalenging the occ guys to a race..mod mower vs. chopper ill see what my 460 cc soon to be supercharged kawi will do . I think 4 wheeler rims will bolt up to a golf cart, if not its not hard to machine some hubs. Search google for i think patriot racing mini monster trucks it'll give you some good ideas.

found the site http://www.patriot-racing.com/Patrio...ers/index.html
sambmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 10:48 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

well i consider myself somewhat of an atv buff.

yes u can get tons of different beadlocks in all different shapes and sizes

kawasaki makes the mule polaris makes the ranger

there
fuzzhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 11:34 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

sounds like a cool idea but id im 6' 5" so a samuri would be a gool size gokart for me. lol
skyjacker_rc_club is offline   Reply With Quote