Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Military Transition - Retirement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Military Transition - Retirement

For everyone who has retired out of the military:

What is the biggest "OH CRAP" or "wish I would have known" moment after you got out?

I just went through the week-long transition management training. For the most part it was what I expected, they ran through the VA stuff with us, looking for federal jobs, resume writing, job hunting, interviewing and how to get our household goods moved.

They also went through the medical and dental benefits with us...
This was the real "wholly crap" moment of the class and I figured I was lucky to be getting a retirement check so that I can pay for all of medical benefits. The medical really isn't that bad, you get put into a HMO, have an annual enrollment fee and co-pays for prescriptions. The real shock was in the VGLI and dental, both plans are EVERY expensive.

So, I would also like to know if you guys have taken the dental and VLGI, or if you have gotten your own plan.

Thanks.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Military Transition - Retirement

Although I didn't retire from active duty, I had a 40% disability rating when I was discharged. I immediately went to the VA hospital to get an evaluation to receive disability benefits. They very quickly gave me a 0% rating . I tried to appeal the decision to no avail- it took 12 YEARS of battle with the VA to get another evaluation. Once they did a thorough pulmonary function test they rated me at 30%. The ones that helped me were the DAV, so my advice to you is- if you have any medical claims go see the DAV or another veteran service organization immediately, they are the ones that will help you with your claims.

Congrats on your retirement and thank you for your service!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I was medically retired in '99.Delta Dental isn't too expensive.I have it for my family. Tricare reitree health insurance isn't bad either,just have to find a Dr that takes it.Where I work their health and dental plans were way more expensive.I have a 60% disability rating so all my medical is covered through the VA.
For life insurance I shopped around and found something cheaper.
Either join the DAV or Department of Veterans Affairs and have a counselor get you into the system just in case you might need them.If you think you have a medical condition that is service connected go to the VA and get evaluated and get it into your records.
72Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Not sure if it was an "oh crap" as much as a "WFT" moment. My first Paycheck. I retired with 21 years as an E7 and was making in the area of $38 to $40K but a big chunk of that was BAQ, BAS, VHA, Sea Pay, Haz Duty Pay - all untaxed and I am a resident of IL and paid no state tax. My first Job out of the military , I had a salary of $56K and I actually ended up with a take home pay cut.

Be Prepared.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
Proverbial threadkiller

Good to hear you guys stuck it out 'til the end, proud of ya.

My enlistment was just 6ish or so years, all Reserves, and I elected not to re-up. Thus, my bennies package consisted of getting to keep the skivvies they gave us in boot camp. I didn't get much of an "Ah-Ha!" moment, I pretty much knew right from the get-go what I was in for.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote

Military Transition - Retirement - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm pullin the King out of retirement. Jsfucttruck HPI Wheely King 12 03-18-2011 12:33 PM
JK Rubiclod crashed into retirement. :) muddeprived Videos! 8 12-21-2008 08:14 PM
my dads little retirement project flatfender Chit Chat 21 08-29-2006 10:42 PM