Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: New MTB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New MTB

I am in the market for a new set of wheels....my old Giant just needs more work then she is worth. I have seen there are a fair number of riders on here(never post much but sure do read a lot) just picking some brains on the subject. I am looking at the cannondale sl4 29er. I just want something to get me around the single track well and maybe race some sport class on.

The real point of this post is that I have looked around and from what I have seen it is the best deal for the buck. Is there something in that price range that is significantly better?

My only concerns on the SL4 are the "cannondale" hydros for brakes scare me a little (I have Avid bb7's now). Also I have never heard anything (bad or good)on RST forks....thou the Manitou I have now is the biggest turd so anything would be better.

Thanks for you time and enjoy the ride.
chole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New MTB

what dont you like or are worried about hydros..i wouldnt own a bike without em, i like cannondale theyve done some cool stuff , i owned a cannondale m400 and it was well made and problem free, but i have heard some horror stories about their customer service i like my fishers and treks
the rst forks in general are nothing special, and at the price point of the bike in any brand youll get something simular, i like fox but that usually adds 4-600 to the $ tag

Last edited by vonclod; 03-19-2012 at 11:22 PM.
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I recently bought a Cannondale SL2 and I am quite happy with the bike. The hydro brakes work perfectly (however, mine are Avid) and I've only heard good things about the Cannondale CS.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
'08 2.2 National Champ

You'll love the SL4. I own a shop that sells Cannondales and we haven't had any problems with the brakes.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
'08 2.2 National Champ

That RST fork is very well done. Better than anything else you'll ine in that price range.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Looks like a good choice then.

The only thing I was concerned with was when I got the brakes I have now, the shops around here advised that a good mech disc is better then a cheap hydro.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like that was a while ago though. Bike technology had made huge advances in the last 5 years and continues to year after year. In any case, the Cannondale house components are pretty decent. They're a big company and go through a lot of testing. If you're really concerned, hold on to the Giant until after you have your new bike. If you really don't like the hydros, just swap them out for the Avids.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

My C-Works

S-works Epic 29er & cannondale lefty, hollowgram hybrid.

Pic from Sunday's race

cspyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Wow man that is super cool I'm sure glad the photo of you 10 grand bike helped me so much with the purchase of a sub 1000 ride. I am really happy you took the time out of your day to do that for me. Good to know you can put more money into this than I can, and I am sure you are a way better rider then me to because your bike kicks so much ass.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.

I have a fuji nevada 3.0(sport chalet) that I put brakes and tires on and some other trail "tools". I love it, but I'm ready to move up to a full suspension bike. Look around, you can find some deals on some bike frames that are like two years old. For parts, I would go to www.blueskycycling.com, they have some realy good deals and fast shipping.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chole View Post
Wow man that is super cool I'm sure glad the photo of you 10 grand bike helped me so much with the purchase of a sub 1000 ride. I am really happy you took the time out of your day to do that for me. Good to know you can put more money into this than I can, and I am sure you are a way better rider then me to because your bike kicks so much ass.
Wow.....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chole View Post
yeah no problem

the point is, cannondale makes good stuff, good enough to put on the other big manufacturers frames.

but back to your comment, F you pal
cspyy is offline   Reply With Quote

New MTB - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MTB Guys millrtme Chit Chat 5 07-08-2011 10:26 AM
Anyone else here DH MTB soilwork Chit Chat 10 09-18-2010 07:31 PM
MTB Help! joecrawler Chit Chat 15 06-26-2007 03:26 PM
I need a new MTB! Spdsk8er Chit Chat 13 06-19-2007 07:37 PM