Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: just a thought about smoking.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Exclamation just a thought about smoking.

yea, i know its not good for you and all, but while i have been doing my internship at a physical rehabilitation hospital i have found this..

nearly every person who has had a stoke smoked heavily or smoked like a pack or more daily. we have stroke ppl from early 50's and up til olllllldddd..

i'm not saying it will always happen, but too many times i have seen families who resent their stroke victim family members because they have told them to stop many times. they end up having to take care of them or sticking them in a nursing home. one recent situation i am thinking of..... the family washed their hands clean of their family member because they said they had told her too many times to stop.

being a person who dips, i understand not wanting to stop. i plan on quitting for health reasons, but i don't want to really. i have stopped several times for months at a time and find it difficult to completely stop.

please read this and really consider quitting so you don't leave your family to take care of you at an early age.
pitcher2103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: just a thought about smoking.

I have made a lot of mistakes in my life, but choosing to (and continuing to) smoke was one of the dumbest. I've only missed it one time that I remember...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have stopped smoking several times, but can't seem to stay that way. Several years ago a doctor told me that the patches and gum are are almost as bad as smoking. Has anyone tried chantix, does it work, what side effects did you have if any and how long have you not smoked since?
00racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00racer View Post
Has anyone tried chantix, does it work, what side effects did you have if any and how long have you not smoked since?

Umm...watch the commercial. They list most of the possible side effects in that.

My fiances dad took it for a while. Horrible nightmares to where he didnt get much sleep. When I quit I went cold turkey. Wasnt an issue for me.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I have made a lot of mistakes in my life, but choosing to (and continuing to) smoke was one of the dumbest. I've only missed it one time that I remember...

How did I know youd be the first to reply.

And I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

the thing about smoking is it does not make you have a stroke. it increases you risk. i did not quit smoking because of an increased risk of everything. everything in life is a risk. i did it because i got bronchitis every year on schedule and smoking was a big part of it. anything and everything can put you at risk for something else. the easiest way to quit is to want to quit. coming in here and asking these questions tells me you have doubts , and if you doubt your reasoning you have already failed. i quit because i knew with every inch of my heart i wanted to. i handed my last pack to a friend and have never looked back.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
Defy Gravity

smoking is a bitch for me to try to quit....reason i started smoking was to get off percoset after my hand injury, they sorta forgot altogether to mention that you will be hooked like none other after that....nicotine is really one of the hardest things to get off of, when i started to get off painkillers, i didn't care that the pills were gone...says a lot as to how damn addictive it is.

i got off alcohol cold turkey, that sucked enough. i know i need to quit, but its really hard to get it rolling ya know. for me its the daily things i do while smoking that kick my ass. smoking when i'm out in the shed working on something, smoking when i drive, when i'm bored (that's the worst one). just the routine that really sucks. when i was in the hospital last summer, i managed on the gum, but then you're hooked on the damn gum.

i asked about chantix one time, said with my history, i'd have to be under supervision 24/7 the entire time i took it.

and i know fully the risks...i watched my dad die due to a stroke that very well could have been smoking related.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by foproy View Post
i handed my last pack to a friend and have never looked back.
I did pretty much the same. Only I quit because they got too expensive....$2.50/pack at the time....
Old 03-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I did pretty much the same. Only I quit because they got too expensive....$2.50/pack at the time....
the reason i did it was i was feeling the start of another attack and decided that it was going to be my last. 2 hours later i was fine and dandy. i don't really care what people think of religion, and i am just stating what i believe happened but i do think god had a hand in my quitting. even if it was just a slight nudge in that direction.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Try 5.25/pk here now. I remember getting them for 2.10 with tax at Wawa.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
smoking is a bitch for me to try to quit....reason i started smoking was to get off percoset after my hand injury, they sorta forgot altogether to mention that you will be hooked like none other after that....nicotine is really one of the hardest things to get off of, when i started to get off painkillers, i didn't care that the pills were gone...says a lot as to how damn addictive it is.

i got off alcohol cold turkey, that sucked enough. i know i need to quit, but its really hard to get it rolling ya know. for me its the daily things i do while smoking that kick my ass. smoking when i'm out in the shed working on something, smoking when i drive, when i'm bored (that's the worst one). just the routine that really sucks. when i was in the hospital last summer, i managed on the gum, but then you're hooked on the damn gum.

i asked about chantix one time, said with my history, i'd have to be under supervision 24/7 the entire time i took it.

and i know fully the risks...i watched my dad die due to a stroke that very well could have been smoking related.

The habbit thing broke easy for me. Alcohol I stopped alltogether last year about this time, also when I stopped smoking, and started lifting. That lasted about 6mths. I still drink but dont smoke.

Unfortunately alcohol/liquer is about the cheapest/easiest "legal for everyone" inhibitor available at any given time, so, thats what I choose (most of the time) to loosen up every so often.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
dkf
Rock Crawler

I sometimes blow smoke out my bhole after eating spicy foods.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #13
Defy Gravity

routine is a huge part of my life....i have to have my routine, anything that messes with it is a big problem. smoking provides a solid routine that is easily there, which is a bad thing. finding a routine to replace it would be near impossible for me...some people joke about obsessive compulsive disorder, but when you live it, its not a fun thing. every day at the end of the day in my shed, i spend at least 2 hours blowing and sweeping up, even if i've done very small stuff, i have to do it. even posting here is a routine. today i'm messed up because i didn't get the work in the shed like i usually do, i had to go on errands.

alcohol is something that i look back on now and wonder why i'm not dead, i can go to a bar with friends and shoot pool now and have no issue.

living with a smoker is another thing here, not easy to quit when you're around it all the time.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #14
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
I sometimes blow smoke out my bhole after eating spicy foods.
I've seen your post.

I smoked for 15 years, I quit the moring my Dad went in for throat surgery. It was the 1st smoke of the day, I opened a brand new pack of smokes. Then I started to cry and was thinking of how I was feeling and how worried I was about Dad.
I looked over at the 4 kids I had standing there and it hit me, I smashed that pack and never smoked again. It's been 21 years.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #15
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANOVRU View Post
Try 5.25/pk here now. I remember getting them for 2.10 with tax at Wawa.
They go for over $10 a pack in Chicago...

I'm 3.5 weeks tobacco free

I smoked for just over 20 years.
I started smoking Marlboro in high school, about a pack a week shared with friends then moved up to about half a pack a day with my first factory job right outa high school. I smoked Reds till my mid/late twenty's and then switched to American Spirit.
I noticed a significant change once I switched.
Over the past 5 years I've been thinking about quitting... but really enjoyed smoking.
Over the past few years, I halfheartedly tried everything to quit... but I still wanted to smoke.
I've been down to 2-4 a day for the past year, smoking them in halves.

A few months ago my wife brought home Walgreen's smoking cessation lozenges... and they worked!

I took them for a couple of days and really felt like I could quit. So, I stopped taking them!

Well, finally 3 and a half weeks ago I decided to quit.
I was taking about 4 lozenges a day and now I'm down to 1.5-2.
Attached Images

Last edited by johnnyh66; 03-29-2012 at 08:54 PM.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
Well, finally 3 and a half weeks ago I decided to quit.
I was taking about 4 lozenges a day and now I'm down to 1.5-2.
You are already past the hard part, now just keep going.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00racer View Post
I have stopped smoking several times, but can't seem to stay that way. Several years ago a doctor told me that the patches and gum are are almost as bad as smoking. Has anyone tried chantix, does it work, what side effects did you have if any and how long have you not smoked since?
i tried chantix a couple years ago and it gave me such vivid dreams that i couldn't tell dreams from reality, and i had a similar side effect that can happen with antidepressants where i basically had a full on emotional break down. when i try to quit for real, i'll do it without meds.
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
routine is a huge part of my life....i have to have my routine, anything that messes with it is a big problem. smoking provides a solid routine that is easily there, which is a bad thing. finding a routine to replace it would be near impossible for me...some people joke about obsessive compulsive disorder, but when you live it, its not a fun thing. every day at the end of the day in my shed, i spend at least 2 hours blowing and sweeping up, even if i've done very small stuff, i have to do it. even posting here is a routine. today i'm messed up because i didn't get the work in the shed like i usually do, i had to go on errands.

alcohol is something that i look back on now and wonder why i'm not dead, i can go to a bar with friends and shoot pool now and have no issue.

living with a smoker is another thing here, not easy to quit when you're around it all the time.
i have OCD as well, sounds like yours is a little more intense but i can relate. smoking helps mentally, just hurts you physically. sucks!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I done the chantix thing and the dreams was crazy and mostly nightmares.. Then I also became severely depressed. I wanna quit very bad. Every day I look at my kids and don't wanna leave them early or put them thru bullshit because of me smoking.. Then I'll have a bad day and end up lighting up another one.. I'm gonna start taking Wellbutrin I have a friend that said it worked great with minimal side effects.. I pay 5.69 a pack and have smoked Newport 100's for twelve years and the thing is when I was 20 I hated the smell of it an never wanted to smoke until I did my first line of coke then I started smoking menthol.. Don't do coke anymore but I dang sure can't stop smoking on my own.. It sucks and it freaking stinks lol

J-bird
j-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

yup i wanna quit too, but i still enjoy it and medicine hasn't worked so it's a pretty tough situation. you'll have to let us know if you try the wellbutrin and if it works!

just a thought about smoking. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
smoking motor codydray Electronics 11 05-16-2010 01:24 AM
Fxr smoking aaugman Electronics 6 02-11-2009 02:42 PM
Smoking... Rokbitr Electronics 3 08-20-2008 03:28 PM
Help! integy smoking idahorock Electronics 5 02-27-2006 06:02 PM