Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Predicament

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2006, 05:53 PM   #1
Debunking old stereotypes

Default Predicament

Heres the situation,. At One of the apt buildings I own, and live in, I have a neighbor guy that is semi-retarded. He's a great guy, he watches over my building when I'm not around, mows for me etc. Well, he knows I have RC trucks because I have a home course with a stream running through it out back. Today he brought over a box of rtr Nikko and Tyco trucks to see if I could "fix them". I'm just too nice of a guy (esp to someone mentally handicapped) to tell him that there junk, and not worth fixing. So.......1. do I take the time to look at them Probably not worth it, One seems newer, the other few not. Or 2. do I tell him that these are throw away toys? and dissapoint him Or 3. Do I just run up to K-Mart and buy him a bunch of new New Brights at my expense Like I said, he's semi retarded and I'm pretty sure lives on a dishwashers pay.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #2
RCC Addict

well, if you are thinking about getting something new for him, why not a nylint?
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i'd go with number three, you sound like a good guy.
skidooguymxz550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:03 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Do to one as you wish to be done to you. Thats what I say.

You say he mows lawns for you and helps watch over the property. It sounds like he has a heart of gold.

At the endo of the day whats 50 bucks on a Nylint? I mean this guy will think you are the best bloke in the world just for helping him out in anycase.

Personally I always feel nice when I help someone less fortunate than myself out.
Fozzy Down Under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:18 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

i like the nylint ideal personally, and you could let him hang with you when you crawl i guess, unless he doesn't like slow vehicles, in which case try to fix the old ones
-Dalton
hotrodzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Got to agree, buy him a Nylint. and then you have some one to crawl with during the week. And you may even make yourself the best friend you could ever have.
hvydty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:28 PM   #7
Adilynsdad too!

Piss him off and buy him a nylint. After running it a time or two he will hate you and never speak to you again
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:42 PM   #8
06 Super National Champ

Take him to the LHS.

Show him the difference between toy and hobby grade vehicles.

If he gets a hobby grade rig (E pede is a helluva basher and not hard on the wallet) he can visit the LHS for help.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:49 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I say get him a little crawler, and go crawl with him, I wouldnt get him a nylint cuz it'll break, I say get him something that will last, I mean you can find $60 shipped VMGs rtr, and extend it, and run some differ shocks, and get him a little charger!! Thats about 60 for vmg, 5-10 links if you make em, shocks- stock on the links so it has GC still, and get him a little charger frmo towerhobbies.com and w/e else you might need, cuz acouple new brights are 50-80. Then he'd love it, its better than a nylint, and if it breaks just show him the hobby shop, and he can fix it up, or w/e! He sounds like an AWESOME guy! Mows your lawn, and watches your place, if you get your lawn mowed by some kids, they would want 10 bux, and think how many times has he mowed it, if not alot, still who mows your lawn for free nowadays?

Just my opinion, I might buy something for him if you get him a mini hobby grade!!
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:21 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Hey Troy, You can HAVE(no charge) my 1:18 Nylint Jeep to give to him. I've met him, and he's a really nice guy. So I figure this is a better use of the Nylint (instead of the plan to have it run over by a D10 dozer, which would still be pretty sweet!!...)
Maybe I'll see ya this weekend and I can give it to you.
Hopefully that can help solve some of your dilemma.
Cake Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:31 PM   #11
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg13x
Hey Troy, You can HAVE(no charge) my 1:18 Nylint Jeep to give to him. I've met him, and he's a really nice guy. So I figure this is a better use of the Nylint (instead of the plan to have it run over by a D10 dozer, which would still be pretty sweet!!...)
Maybe I'll see ya this weekend and I can give it to you.
Hopefully that can help solve some of your dilemma.

Sounds great Adogg, Thanks. I'll probably give him one of my Nylints also since there's about 4-5 in the box he gave me. Then I'll pick up a faster one just in case thats what he likes.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:13 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlerman
Freetime, if I see you at the get togetehr, I can give up a midnight pumpkin... It doesnt have a body or mounts. These are pretty indestructable. I think I have a 12 turn double in it. I can include a speed control to handle the motor, but I just fried 2 radio systems, so I am low on those myself. Here is what I think RCC should do:

I will supply the truck if others pitch in to get it running. What we need:

Tires
Wheels
radio and receiver, any will do
pumpkin or lunchbox body and mounts
3 inch shocks

I guess if anyone is interested, we can just mail out parts to Freetimecrawler to assemble into a nice basher for his friend. If I still had my pede I would have offered that. It may need a few internal gears, I will order those from tower hobbies when I get paid tomorrow.

Thats not a bad idea... I've got a Lunchbox that I could donate. It's not in perfect working order and missing the original front or rear tires, but it came with a few others too (I bought it dirt cheap just because it was dirt cheap. Never did anything with it, thought I would). If we take the best from this and the best from your Pumpkin (which sounds like it's in better shape) we could have a decent truck.
I'll have to take a look at the truck I have and see what I've got with it (it's somewere in one of my closets).
I also might have an RX & TX too, but don't quote me on that... I'll have to look around.
Cake Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:22 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

This place has a kind heart!:-D
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:26 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

agreed.
i'd help, but i really don't have the funds, i cant even pay for my gas.
-Dalton
hotrodzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:37 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

this thread is bringing a tear to my eye . it is very touching, you are all good people
skidooguymxz550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:02 PM   #16

Awesome story, your a pretty cool guy Freetimecrawler.
Codeman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:43 PM   #17
MWRCA'er

If they are Radioshack or Nikko trucks you can order replacement parts cheap. But, yeah I'd get him a slower, easy to maintain truck. Something like a Nylint if he keeps busting the faster ones. After seeing your course possibly he is looking for truck to drive on it with. You don't want to get him a really fast jump truck and be the mechanic all the time.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:00 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Really, it is pretty cool of you to think enough of this guy to take into account his feelings and all that. With as much as people rag on mentally handicapped people, it's good to see some support for them. Good karma for you
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:37 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Yeah, I suggest something a bit slower than a 12t, possibly a 19?
Crawlerguy851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:55 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

with the pumkin and lunchbox heading your way I would suggest that you take a little extra time and TEACH him how to put the two trucks togeather. This way he will learn something and be more capable to fix it in the future. When he breaks it TEACH him how to fix that part, show him how to find the part to fix it with and so on. I think you can see where I'm going with this..

Don't just give him anything... TEACH him how to do it on his own. You would show your kids how to fix their own RC's why not him. He may just be able to help you out with other things than just mowing your lawn. He can't be to bad off (mentally) if he can run a lawn mower (dangerous machine to some people).
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote