RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/)
-   -   Locking diff's (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/37767-locking-diffs.html)

CrawlAZ 07-10-2006 10:55 PM

Locking diff's

No this isn't another "how do I lock the diff's" question. I just bought a Mamba 8000 for my associated 18t, I have had this problem before with mod motors, but the rear diff keeps squeleing and grinding. I have called ae many times and got spacers to tighten them up, but that just won't do the trick with the brushless beast. I was wondering what the disadvantages might be if I locked the rear diff, so it was bulletproof.

badger 07-11-2006 12:05 AM

How is this crawler related?

Do not post this type of threads in General crawlers. :roll:

TLTCrawlin 07-11-2006 12:06 AM

I used hot glue, hopefully it holds in my tlt! Think so almighty badger?

Red Rockcrawler 07-11-2006 12:18 AM

use jb weld

TLTCrawlin 07-11-2006 12:25 AM

when my hot glue breaks, Holmes told me to put the third gear in the diff between the two mounted gears! Ill give it a try then! My tlt axles are made, if you didnt guess!

kris 07-11-2006 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrawlAZ
No this isn't another "how do I lock the diff's" question. I just bought a Mamba 8000 for my associated 18t, I have had this problem before with mod motors, but the rear diff keeps squeleing and grinding. I have called ae many times and got spacers to tighten them up, but that just won't do the trick with the brushless beast. I was wondering what the disadvantages might be if I locked the rear diff, so it was bulletproof.

I have aluminium out drives that I found on Ebay and I thought about running screws through the ring gear where the diff balls go. That motor is way to much for the truck:) I am now running the C4 9200kv with a 3 cell lipo and it lasts about 10 minutes before blowing the rear ring and pinion and that is going easy on it :-( . Watch out when you get good batteries the stock tires grow to the size of a maxx wheel and are razor thin, makes it hard to drive so get the trinty adaptors and use sedan belted tires.But to really answer your question it will just break the ring and pinion faster. Dispite all the problems once you get a 55mph plus run down it will take far longer to get the smile off your face than it will to rebuild it.I am still smiling from yesterday when I tried out my new 3 cell, just FYI at about 60 it wants to take off for lack of down force:shock:

badger 07-11-2006 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClodCrawlin
I used hot glue, hopefully it holds in my tlt! Think so almighty badger?

Hot glue will break eventually. JB-Weld or moving the gear is the best way to lock it.

BigJay 07-11-2006 12:26 PM

I run 7 cells with a Mamba 6800 and use MIP Super Diffs... they hold up and actually work as diffs pretty good... need a little adjustment every 5-10 runs and new balls after 30ish runs...

-Jay

CrawlAZ 07-11-2006 02:39 PM

hahaha "use jb weld" obviously you didn't read the post. sorry it is in general, but It wouldn't get answered anywhere else. I added some shims to the diff's and tightened them up a bit, they are runnin good now, but I probably will get the MIP diff's. thanks.