Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Does the government really control gas prices?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Does the government really control gas prices?

What's the skinny?

Chart Shows Exxon Profits Per Gallon of Gas vs. Taxes Collected Per Gallon | All American Blogger

Interesting.
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Does the government really control gas prices?

I thought high taxes at the pump was common knowledge.

Now, are we talking the ability to subsidize or no?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

n the one hand, its painfully obvious that its in the governments best interest to destabilize the middle east.
so You have your answer to your question.

On the other hand, fossil fuels are dirty business, and I dont particularly subscribe to the idea of it being cheap is good.

and on your foot now, chinas desperate for oil, so it india theres a huge market right there and its growing! get ready for actual high costs...
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Crude prices are set by opec and speculators in the market. Maybe if we didn't tax the crap out of fuel it wouldn't be so bad, but then again- we pay less for fuel than most countries... we're just spoiled.
MuddyOval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyOval View Post
but then again- we pay less for fuel than most countries... we're just spoiled.
That's only because those other countries are taxing the shit out of the people buying the petroleum. They still pay the same prices for the crude oil. If the citizens of those countries dont like the prices, maybe they should move to Venezuela....I hear Hugo is a wonderful guy.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Metal shaper

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose
CarterFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

what doesn't the gobbermint control ........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Yes, absolutely it does, maybe not directly but it does none the less.

Don't believe me, wait until November and you will see.
GySgt Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
www.team3sixrc.com

Lets face it! The Economy still sucks. People are still collecting at the teat to those who pay thier taxes. Most of the teat suckers are those who dont want to work, who wont work for less than they made when they were working. So where is the money gonna come from to pay those teat suckers? Where is the money gonna come from to pay the millions of Military thier G.I. bills, where is the money gonna come from to do anything that partially sustains the economy?

2. Oil prices had always maintained a below average budget until the crash. when the fact is that we are actually paying slightly more of what oil would be if it was properly increased instead of staying low for years and years and then going ape shit. Currently Americans are paying $1.29 more a gallon and its because of the economy, and more in bigger cities because bigger cities eat more gas. Apperently thats a reason to charge more!

3. America is currently the largest producer of Oil with South America in second and Canada the third.
Canada actually imports more US Oil than any other county and has the largest reserves than any other country. Look who is a wealthy county now!. Douche bag Chavez hates the US but loves our money rather than shipping it to Europe and loosing money to ship it.

4. and finally lets not forget that America is concentrating on lowering its carbon footprint in anything related with Oil, which means this also drives oil up in price.

5 years ago we were selling oil at $50.00 a barrel @10 million a year
Today it is $100.00+ a barrel @ 8.4 million a year

So the answer is simple. Yes the government is charging more, wussies need to go back to work and quit sucking my pockets for lint, and quit buying Prius's or Volt's ya Tree huggers.

One more thing, Why in the hell are we paying 9 pence per gallon. Really? So if I fill up 10 gallons, shouldnt I get a penny back?

Last edited by team3six; 04-12-2012 at 07:52 PM.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I agree about green energy. Right now its a complete joke.

There is so much more to it that you did not post.

We have the technology right now to be driving 100mpg vehicals. So why aren't we? Because if we did we wouldn't use 1/5 of the oil. That's basically taking billions from the government which is already broke.

So the whole green thing is a crock. They give us an electric car every now and then to make the sheep think we are making progress. The truth is we are not. The government only has to make you think they are trying while they rake in the cash on the oil.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
Lets face it! The Economy still sucks. People are still collecting at the teat to those who pay thier taxes. Most of the teat suckers are those who dont want to work, who wont work for less than they made when they were working. So where is the money gonna come from to pay those teat suckers? Where is the money gonna come from to pay the millions of Military thier G.I. bills, where is the money gonna come from to do anything that partially sustains the economy?

2. Oil prices had always maintained a below average budget until the crash. when the fact is that we are actually paying slightly more of what oil would be if it was properly increased instead of staying low for years and years and then going ape shit. Currently Americans are paying $1.29 more a gallon and its because of the economy, and more in bigger cities because bigger cities eat more gas. Apperently thats a reason to charge more!

3. America is currently the largest producer of Oil with South America in second and Canada the third.
Canada actually imports more US Oil than any other county and has the largest reserves than any other country. Look who is a wealthy county now!. Douche bag Chavez hates the US but loves our money rather than shipping it to Europe and loosing money to ship it.

4. and finally lets not forget that America is concentrating on lowering its carbon footprint in anything related with Oil, which means this also drives oil up in price.

5 years ago we were selling oil at $50.00 a barrel @10 million a year
Today it is $100.00+ a barrel @ 8.4 million a year

So the answer is simple. Yes the government is charging more, wussies need to go back to work and quit sucking my pockets for lint, and quit buying Prius's or Volt's ya Tree huggers.

One more thing, Why in the hell are we paying 9 pence per gallon. Really? So if I fill up 10 gallons, shouldnt I get a penny back?
Number three is wrong. We are a net importer of oil (we actually import more than we consume). We are the largest Gas exporter due to our competitive advantage in refinery technology, that is why we import more than we need.

For number four actually the world trying to use less oil products would decrease the price due to lower demand. Though if tax rates have gone up on oil ( not sure if they have) you could argue it is a form of command and control policy to lower oil consumption.

Im confused what you are trying to say with 5, makes sense price increase resulting in a lower demand.

And why the hate on hybrid cars? That would actually lower the price of gas for you.

And I guarantee you get some of that 9 cent per gallon back. For example I am sure some of the state tax funds roads or schools, and the national tax would fund things like the military (something everyone benefits from).
RCCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCalifornia View Post
Number three is wrong. We are a net importer of oil (we actually import more than we consume). We are the largest Gas exporter due to our competitive advantage in refinery technology, that is why we import more than we need.

For number four actually the world trying to use less oil products would decrease the price due to lower demand. Though if tax rates have gone up on oil ( not sure if they have) you could argue it is a form of command and control policy to lower oil consumption.

Im confused what you are trying to say with 5, makes sense price increase resulting in a lower demand.

And why the hate on hybrid cars? That would actually lower the price of gas for you.

And I guarantee you get some of that 9 cent per gallon back. For example I am sure some of the state tax funds roads or schools, and the national tax would fund things like the military (something everyone benefits from).

Considering a 1986 Honda crx pulled in a whopping 62mpg. Hybrids are a joke in my op
Old 04-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
What about a KIA is that OK.. Even built in the USA.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
What about a KIA is that OK.. Even built in the USA.
Doesn't Kia carry a 100000 mile warrenty?
Old 04-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
Considering a 1986 Honda crx pulled in a whopping 62mpg. Hybrids are a joke in my op
I know guys that race R/C that used to think LIPOS and brushless were a joke to

A joke today but 10 years from now who knows? Not on any kind of Hibrid kick by the way just trying to keep a open mind on it..

Hell if we did not have the extra 1000LBS of safety stuff in these cars now I am sure they would be right up there with any of the 80's cars..
Old 04-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
I know guys that race R/C that used to think LIPOS and brushless were a joke to

A joke today but 10 years from now who knows? Not on any kind of Hibrid kick by the way just trying to keep a open mind on it..

Hell if we did not have the extra 1000LBS of safety stuff in these cars now I am sure they would be right up there with any of the 80's cars..
Shoot I am all for green energy! Just don't bore us with this current crop of junk! LOL

you don't know how many times I have had to explain to people how my lipo rc battery is more advanced than the Chevrolet volt batteries!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Doesn't Kia carry a 100000 mile warrenty?
Yes.. seems like a pretty solid car so far.. And its funny that you mention the civic because that is what they remind me of.. Low price, reliable, good mileage..
Quote:
Shoot I am all for green energy! Just don't bore us with this current crop of junk! LOL

you don't know how many times I have had to explain to people how my lipo rc battery is more advanced than the Chevrolet volt batteries!
They are working on some pretty cool fuel cells, and batteries here at work.. I have a feeling our lipos will be dated soon to.. Some of the future concepts I am seeing are really cool.. But to be honest these cars will always be ECONO based.. and to most people that is considered junk.. Honda civics were junk compared to the full sized rides of that era to.. Looking back the civics were the better car, that was not the conception of the day..

Last edited by sloppy; 04-12-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #18
www.team3sixrc.com

RCCalifornia, I work in Williston ND. as a Powerline staker for the local Co-Op. I stake on an average of 10 Miles a week distibuting power to over 4+ oil wells a week.
Williston, North Dakota is currently drilling 207 wells right now and that is only is Williams county.

The Bakken is the largest oil Boom is US history. with most drilling between 3-5 miles deep.
Last week I had to attend a mandatory 37 Hours of Oil safety and logistic reports.

Haliburton, HESS, EOG, Continental, Enbridge, Whiting, and Brigham to name a few have all submitted their reports for this years quarter projection.

North dakota and Montana are currently building over 700 miles of pipeline to shipment stations in 6 locations that will be shipped to Canada.

Billings, MT has 2 full size opperational Refineries that are currently being upgraded and NONE of that oil is from the Bakken. but trained in from the West coast for Exxon and Connaco.

and just in case you gont believe me, you can go to the NPR, AP, and Huffigton post and get that same information.

As I said and as all the reports state. The US is the Largest producer of Oil, Venezualla second and Canada third.
No reason for me to Lie about that.

as far as the World trying to use less oil products, I never said the World. I said the US as Auto manufaturers are being forced to find ways to decrease carbon footprints. this also includes Plastics, Oils, Greases, Fuel, Textiles, Metals, and even paper.

You have to remember there are larger aspects related to oil.

I also work for a company that is one of the largest Energy engineering firms in the US. We are responsible for the new Hoover Dam power re distribution, Spokane Washigtons Water reclimation plant, New mexicos and Arizonas Sun Farms, and most of the western Wind farms.

Price will only lower if there wasnt a demand. the fact is there is Demand in all aspects of Oil. Just not in the Automotive industry as it was 10 years ago.

BTW, its Not 9 Cents, its 9 Pence.
10 Pence is a Penny.
well it was 30 years ago anyways.
Fuel is the only product in our Country that is priced at a fraction of a dollar.

Look, I agree that Fuel is high priced. But maybe I am not so upset about it as others.
I work hard and get payed well. I hate the slackers who wont work, I am not gonna blame the Government for the issues because one I voted even though the popular vote means absolutly nothing. and the aholes in politics really dont care about you or me. If they really care! let me see them get payed Minuimum wage.

The only ones we all can blame is ourselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCalifornia View Post

team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #19
MODERATOR™

Quote:
And its funny that you mention the civic because that is what they remind me of..
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Remember this guy?

Stanley Meyer's water fuel cell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Government killed him to keep gas prices high....
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote

Does the government really control gas prices? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gas prices got ya down? CREEPERBOB Chit Chat 13 02-25-2012 12:25 AM
Gas prices 666 Competitions 13 05-09-2008 04:04 PM
Gas Prices dezfan Chit Chat 12 05-14-2006 05:55 PM
Gas prices! 666 Chit Chat 93 04-27-2006 06:33 PM