Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Thinking about a Quadcopter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
20K Club

Default Thinking about a Quadcopter

Never flown any RC for more then 5 mins.

For some reason I am now obsessed with the idea of a quadcopter.

Thoughts? Ideas?
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #2

Default Re: Thinking about a Quadcopter

A Swarm of Nano Quadrotors - YouTube
I sure as hell want one.
But I think i'll wait for them to be a little more mainstream, for cheaper prices.
And a couple dozen replacement props
Rocklobst3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

The blade unit sounds like it is an easy quad to fly. Rather cheap also.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
Skater229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:17 AM   #4
RCC Addict

They look cool but I am not interested in flying myself. A guy brought one out to the local sc track and was 50 or so ft above the track in between races. Next thing I know a few blades fly off and it drops out of the sky on the track, gave everyone a good chuckle.
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:03 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have a Blade MQX. I got the same itch to fly a quad like 2 months ago.

I raced nitro for 4 years before getting into the crawlers. I have had many fast cars. It is nothing like flying a copter. Way more difficult than
I had anticipated. I can fly it around but rotation is out of the question. I have to strafe keeping the thing pointed in the same direction all the time.

I'll get the hang of it eventually. But it will take a lot of practice and flight time. And crashes. Lots of crashes. This is where the MQX really impresses me. I crash it probably 6 times in 10 minutes. It has never broke anything. And I have tried to flip it outside and flew straight full throttle into the side of my house. No damage. The body is flimsy as hell. Get a spare. It kinda protects the circuit board.

I really like this little thing. There is nothing else that even comes close to this thing for the money. It is an unbelievable value in the heli world.

Give it a go Harley. I know its way easier to blow more money faster on stupider shit.

Oh, get a 2nd battery. The stocker seems fine to me. Plenty of power.
BurnLatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

This applies to the both of us........Finish the boat first!
BC Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Hey Harley, The Blade MQX Quadcopter, hands down. I have a buddy Ron who runs a LHS and is a Heli super-guru, he's won tons of competition even up to national level. He swears by the Blade and says it's very easy to learn to fly and be proficient with and it's a durable, solid performer. I've been thinking strongly about getting one soon myself.
Blade mQX, the Quad-Copter from Blade - YouTube
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Since you're a iPhone fag I'd say get an AR Drone. At least then you can spy on your neighbors teenage daughter.
GySgt Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I've got a quadcopter, part way through building another in my spare time... They are alot of fun and with a system like the Naza they are very easy to fly these days...

I say 'do it' lol
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

All that VP bling is gonna be heavy!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #11
E.Y. Designs

Funny you would mention that my older bro just had that Idea and so he ordered this one yesterday. Looks pretty Sexy.... Talon Quadcopter
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #12

I just ordered one from goodluckbuy.com just waiting to get it got a radio from xheli want to get into doing video with it
Etmonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

They are quite fun and compared to helis, are extremely easy to fly. I could see you getting into FPV which is the big thing these days in RC flying. FPV equipment has become extremely inexpensive now and readily available.

I come from the helicopter world and know now that all major manufacturers have an offering or soon will. I would suggest shopping carefully and if possible, find someone local and get a demo.

You're hooked up with Futaba which is a good thing. Their high end air radios offer thirteen point curves which is great for all things that hover!

Last edited by Knarly Nerd; 05-06-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Knarly Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
20K Club

The mqx does seem to have lots of recommendations for beginners. If I get a bug to get into flying for real then I can see I will have no issues spending money
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #15

Multicopters are all the rage at the moment where I live. Not too long ago they were the realm of rc-nerds, who were more into programming than flying. But lately more user-friendly (almost ready to run) kits have come out.
I got interested in these, as I had been dabbling with microcontrollers (work-related), and really got into experimenting with sensors like accelerometers, gyro's and magnetometers. As I had never flown any rc before, I decided to buy a ARTF kit, the Flamewheel 450 with a Dji Naza controller. In attitude mode this is an extremely stable platform and very well suited for beginners. In manual mode it's a bit harder to control, but still no way near as difficult as flying a helicopter.

At the moment I'm working on my second quadcopter, for wich I want to build my own flightcontroller using breakout boards I had lying around. I'm hoping to include a barometer for altitude hold and a GPS for position hold and/or return to home.

Last edited by Micropuller; 05-06-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Micropuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Check out RolandRockShop's build . I got to see it in person. Pretty cool.

1st step into quadheli's and F.P.V.

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Check out xaircraft X650 it's awesome and can mount ur GoPro on it I also own the MQX and yes u can make flips I have a YouTube video on it too
Hi-Intentionz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Unless you are operating in an urban canyon or otherwise out of reach of GPS signals, you wouldn't need the barometer, would you? I guess redundancy can be a good thing though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micropuller View Post
Multicopters are all the rage at the moment where I live. Not too long ago they were the realm of rc-nerds, who were more into programming than flying. But lately more user-friendly (almost ready to run) kits have come out.
I got interested in these, as I had been dabbling with microcontrollers (work-related), and really got into experimenting with sensors like accelerometers, gyro's and magnetometers. As I had never flown any rc before, I decided to buy a ARTF kit, the Flamewheel 450 with a Dji Naza controller. In attitude mode this is an extremely stable platform and very well suited for beginners. In manual mode it's a bit harder to control, but still no way near as difficult as flying a helicopter.

At the moment I'm working on my second quadcopter, for wich I want to build my own flightcontroller using breakout boards I had lying around. I'm hoping to include a barometer for altitude hold and a GPS for position hold and/or return to home.

Knarly Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:20 AM   #19
no talent hack

Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote

Thinking about a Quadcopter - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my first QuadCopter: X525 STANG KILLA SS Non Crawler RC's 21 05-13-2013 08:24 PM
Wanting to build a quadcopter iamsuperbleeder Non Crawler RC's 21 03-25-2012 11:42 PM
Im thinking thinking about whats next...lol buggynutt Kyosho Crawlers 6 03-08-2012 09:04 AM
Nano swarm quadcopter robots jammin311 Chit Chat 10 02-01-2012 07:40 PM