Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: STANG KILLA SS Goes Racin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2015, 07:24 PM   #1
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Exclamation STANG KILLA SS Goes Racin

After about a 10 year hiatus, I decided I wanted to go racing again(with corners this time around), and spent the winter getting the car back road worthy, and fixing a lot of issues. Had my first Autocross today

never been a fan of cone dodging, but for $20 bucks and 10 minutes from my house to Hoonigan around right in front of the cops it was worth it. Defiantly a good shake down.

I was really pleased with how the car did. Especially the front end. Braking and cornering were great. The back end not so much. Cornering was fine, but I just couldn't get any power down, with the power im putting out, the 4.10s, first gear, and a track that was a puddle of water that morning I just couldn't give any skinny pedal. Due to the venue they also had a "no breaking traction" rule that made it even tougher.

I felt like all my iRacing actually hurt me in turn-in and braking, I could have been way more aggressive there in real life, than iRacing allows. Old habits die hard.

For some reason the outside footage looks like slow mo. My dad rode with me and after watching from the outside he thought the same, going way faster inside the car, than it looks like watching.

took it easy the first run, then the last 3 starting trying to push more. ran 30.5, 30.4, and 30.7. The 1LE Camaros and SRT8s with there several event experience were running high 29s. the pros were running 27s in there Miatas and Sti's.

But I didn't hit any cones, the car survived, and I had a blast! Im hooked

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 06-27-2015 at 09:14 PM.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: STANG KILLA SS Goes Racin

So jealous!
spankbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:12 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Okay, dude, now you're in my world. We should talk....
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:52 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

The Track - Siskiyou Sports Car Club

That's the local AutoX track. No cones.
Sarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:22 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

It always looks like slow motion on the outside.

My whole family will be running autocross tomorrow for a charity event including his 99 z/28 and my nephew and I with our toyota trucks. It'll be a good time for sure. Glad you had fun, as I tell everyone, it's the most fun I've had with my clothes still on.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:23 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Auto X is okay i guess, we dont have that here, but rally X is what get me going.

I would not mind one of the small carts to keep it cheap and funny, but beeing a bottom-dwelling Dane i will never be able to afford that

Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:54 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Car sounds nasty man....not that i would have expected any different. . I would love to try it but a quirky automatic in a 5000+lbs TBSS would be slow and aggravating as hell
looneybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneybin View Post
I would love to try it but a quirky automatic in a 5000+lbs TBSS would be slow and aggravating as hell
Same here, but both of mine would probably do well........but with no squeel rule, my XJ would probably be the better choice My 200 would be quick, but with the weight, power, and granny low first gear, even the grippier tires it now wears would get overwhelmed pretty quick and start squawkin' Now my XJ..............put it's NV242 in Full Time 4wd, AW4 in 1-2, and turn it loose
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:08 AM   #9
MODERATOR™

Looked slow because it was.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:14 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaker View Post
Auto X is okay i guess, we dont have that here, but rally X is what get me going.

I would not mind one of the small carts to keep it cheap and funny, but beeing a bottom-dwelling Dane i will never be able to afford that
Budget is what got most of us into autocross. The fantasticly close competition is what made (some of) us obsessed with it.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:30 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Yeah Autox is addicting. Especially as you creep up in competition.

Car sounds good out there. Since selling my WRX I think my next Autox car will be an SS or T/A. They are getting pretty cheap and still a good car.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:59 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Very nice. I have a 2013 1LE that I use to do our monthly Auto cross out here in Oklahoma City...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #13
Scale Detail Engineering

I've always wanted to try auto-x in my wrx... but haven't becasue of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
I had a blast! Im hooked
I know I'll be hooked and talk about expensive hobbies!
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:41 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Cool, When do you get to shift to second?
Mayhem Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:09 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaker View Post

We have Rally and RallyX here. A ton of fun. Sadly, it's a big money thing, you gotta have a good car to be competitive. Though, we had a snow rally a few years ago. Our car club leader spoke to the Sheriff, got approval, and we used a long, winding road in the woods. Leader ran it during the day, set up check points, then timed himself driving legally through the course. That night, each driver got a copy of the times, and had to run the course as close to the leader's time as possible. There were no wrecks, no tickets, and lots and lots of fun. They actually had a few Sheriff cars out watching, two of them actually participated in their cruisers.

The local AutoX organization does a hill climb once a year. It's sanctioned, and thus, legal. It's a long course, from 1,500 feet above sea level to 5,500 feed above sea level. It's on a wicked twisty road, which really oddly, doesn't have huge drop offs along the sides like most roads. I think they need to do a canyon run, we have an awesome canyon road here, but it's too busy I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem Eng. View Post
Our course here requires second all the way around. If you go down the front stretch, you can hit third... Most AutoX's don't use the front stretch, though, so it's usually a moot point.

Last edited by Sarra; 06-29-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Sarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:30 PM   #16

stangkilla what suspension setup you running? ive been somewhat distracted by other things in life but with my fbody my intention is keep the motor stock (aside from longtubes) and focus on the suspension to make a fun to drive car.

i havent been on ls1tech or any fbody sites for years to read suspension tech, but when i was up to date it seemed the strano setup was the hot ticket for both autox and street.

couple years ago i had the strawberry milkshake happen and replaced the steering pump with a turnone unit, if you havent done that yet it really changes the steering feel from an old caddy to something a little more racy feeling.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:38 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Strano is still the hot stuff for fbodies and vettes for AutoX. At least that's what the Toldeo guys we run with swear by.

I kinda miss the old WRX for it on some days:

Quote:
I know I'll be hooked and talk about expensive hobbies!
It's not that expensive unless you have to win...
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:33 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem Eng. View Post
Right! If we ran on courses like that I'd be doing something else. Our courses are very open and much higher speed. Yesterday the fastest car was a built to the balls 2010 ZR1 he didn't shift out of first gear on the course either but he hits the rev limiter at 62 mph. He spent a lot of time bouncing off of it.

A regular with what started out as a 2.5 rs subaru now putting just shy of 700 hp to the ground has logged 103 mph on one course with a longer straight but his ground speed may have been closer to 70 tops. He was hazing all 4 stickies as he crossed the line.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:43 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Generally speaking for your average autocross course, it's a matter of "put it in 2nd gear and forget it", but there are always exceptions to the rule. Cory's course was extremely small, short, and tight. I've been on a variety of courses with speeds up to 100 mph, but for most SCCA sanctioned events, they try to target a top speed of ~70 mph.

Of course, for insurance and overall safety requirements, there are a ton of guidelines with regard to layout of the course relative to objects around it, including spectators. Some clubs just don't get access to large facilities so they make do with that they have.

And yeah, autocross is expensive if you want to win. I couldn't justify $5k on dampers and probably $10k for a reasonably competitive motor so I changed classes. But when you get out-classed by brand new cars in your class that are way out of your budget, well, it kinda puts a damper on things. It was around that time I got burned out and migrated to offroading.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:11 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I'm just having fun at stangs expense..... I have never done autocross. Don't know much about it, turn left turn right don't hit the cones.
Mayhem Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote