Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Rhino or RZR... opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Rhino or RZR... opinions?

Since my little girl was born my wife and I have been wanting to get a side x side so that we could take the little one wheeling. Long story short, we are leaning toward a RZR but, the ground clearance on the Rhino keeps it in the running.

From those with experience with them, which do you prefer and why?
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Rhino or RZR... opinions?

If you want to use it to go fast and have fun blasting around, get the RZR. IF you want to use it to go slow all the time, maybe do a little yard work then get the Rhino.

I feel the fit and finish is a bit better on the Rhino, however they are both solid machines. To answer your question as to which I prefer, it'd be the RZR and more specifically the RXR XP but I also do not have a little girl or go out on family rides. haha So for you I'd pick the Rhino, unless you might be interested in going fast too.

I've driven all of the SxS, Rhino to Commander pre and post release to the public, for magazines and photoshoots, for whatever that's worth.

Last edited by Ramination; 07-12-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

My Bro has a 2009 Rhino and I have a 2010 RZR. He loved the Rhino....till I got the RZR. By far the better machine. More reliable, MUCH better performance, MUCH safer.

Also, you don't need all that ground clearance. All that does is make for instability. Trust me. I wheel from TX to CO in mine and it works much better as a belly dragger.

Feel free to ask me more specific questions, we have a lot of time on our side by sides.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I thought I'd give my two cents on the two.
Being that I have a rhino. IMO if you are looking for something for your family, all three of you, go rhino. The rzr is really a blast to ride and drive but no storage and no possibility to add more seats. Unless you go with a factory built 4 seater RZR. I'm in the same boat as you, wanting to take my entire family of four, out on the trails. There are many options to adding a rear bench with belts and added roll cage to the deal. They can range from 650.00-1400.00 in added options for a rhino, to allow extra passengers. The downside, really is that to do this to a rhino. You need to add stiffer springs and thats not the only thing a person needs to add. I could tell you more but I love my rhino because I can use it year round, use it for hunting, hauling wood and many more things.

It depends really where you ride and with who. What made my decision between the two was I've had great luck with Yamaha, wave runners, dirt bikes, four wheelers. (xl1200, yz125, banshee)

In my younger years I mostly own Polaris snowmobiles. And had many frustrating times with Polaris' cheaply made parts. Now days its a whole new ball game with Polaris, they have stepped it up in QC and have came out with some really great ideas and machines to boot.

If I were to start over, I would go with a factory built four seater for family purposes. But if I was always was riding alone or with friends, I would go Rzr hands down.

Last thing, I had to dump a lot into my rhino just to keep up with the RZR. Now I have both options, speed and comfort but the cost was not really worth it after thinking about it.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342109983.097868.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  110.6 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342110044.659917.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  106.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342110068.953684.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  137.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342110101.337590.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  151.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342110139.454228.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  121.5 KB

Hope that helps.
Maddog Madigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #5

RZR is going to be better hands down. I own a Rhino, and the Rzr's are much better than yamaha's Rhino. I have 2 friends that have rzr's one is a plain jane and the other is an S with just about every accessory you can add.

If your looking for a utility style go with a Ranger s or a Ranger XP, even they are better than a rhino. The Rhino's have a lot of flaws and Yamaha puts a bandaid on them by adding doors and a thicker exhaust sleeve.

The rzr will ride smoother (even a plain one), go faster, lest belt slippage, better roll protection, more accessories, and be more reliable. All and all, the rzr is 10 times what the rhino is.

Dont get me wrong though, I have had a ball in my Rhino, it's just if I had to do it over again I would have bought a rzr. My Rhino has been rather fun as well, and not too many issues, it's just the rzr makes the rhino seem like a cheap sxs.

DFW Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

my family has the ranger xp and it works great for utilities and on the trail and through the rocks its even better!
the 3 person bench will fit you, you wife and your daughter great until she is about 8 or 9
now my uncle has the kawasaki teryx and it is by far the best sxs i have driven or rode in.
on the teryx he has the rear individual seats and the extended cage.
he also has kawasaki's option for gas shock all the way around and they work unbelievable.
so i would say the teryx is the better choice for speed, comfort, and getting through gnarly rock washes
crfrider250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #7

Arctic cat... the wildcat anyway we were in moab yesterday and saw how cheaply the rzrs are made. The shock mounts are just tax welded on one side and they are so light duty. We have a rhino or two and their technology is so far behind. It is up to the price you want to spend...

Last edited by riflerockmafia; 07-12-2012 at 04:08 PM.
riflerockmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #8

ill throw my .02 in cause i own a rhino. its like a slug in molassas compared to a 2seater rzr. now as said before, with a 2seater rzr, no room for a kid. the 4seater rzr is a boat with the acceleration of a yugo. I *think* my stock rhino will out accelerate a 4seat rzr. for a 3rd passanger, a kawi tyrex might be more along your lines. if you want a bit of pep to it. if you just want to put around, check out a ranger as suggested. i know nothing about the artic cats, however what shoo'ed me away from them when we bought the rhino is the X style cage above your head on the prowler. I've had my cage against trees numerous times and am VERY happy we didn't get the AC.
BiLLy bOb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I have a 2011 Kawasaki Teryx and it is great. Built very well like a Rhino but a good amount sportier. They may not seem to have much power, but the 750 V-twin has a ton of power potential. The Teryx4 was getting great reviews but is currently having some recalled.
Erock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

no need for more than 2 seats, we already have 2 quads so the side x side is for my wife and kid with me taking it occasionally. The slug quality of the Rhino is something I have seen but, we dont live where you can really open them up.

Wildcat is out for a few reasons...
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #11

I've owned both the rhino and RZR "S", personallly like stated above get the rhino if you like to go slow and/or do a little yard work. IMO I would get the RZR "S" or RZR XP! Hope it helped!
derrka78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #12

since there's no need for more than 2 seats, id go with the rzr. we rented 3 of em a year n half ago out in vegas. 2 2seaters and 1 4seater. id take a 2seater anytime now. the extra pep in the motor over the rhino is a very nice thing even if ya don't get to open em up completely.
BiLLy bOb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #13

I just bought a new rzr s but I started out looking at teryx or rhino because of the big bed. After sitting in all of them I like the way you sit in the rzr. I'm 6' 260 and my buddy is 6'3" 275 and with a loaded 48qt ice chest, it didn't seem like it was hurting for power. If you don't need a big bed get the rzr s.
70ford390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Buy the Polaris it's made in America
S ARR T 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post

Wildcat is out for a few reasons...
let me guess its ugly, and it is arctic cat?

Last edited by riflerockmafia; 07-12-2012 at 10:14 PM.
riflerockmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #16
RCC Addict

When I bought my Teryx, there were nothing but rhino's and rzr's around my area. The rzr would go alittle faster the my teryx in stock form, but they were always getting high centered on stuff that I wouldnt even scrub on. Rhino's are kinda lame in my opinion but atleast they can still do work related stuff like the teryx. Id do another Teryx in a heart beat before any of the others. Ive not been around a Can Am yet though but they look cool driving by.

Which ever way you go, congrats in advance. They are SO damn cool and very convenient.

This was mine. I recommend Bighorn tires FOR SURE.

Last edited by slowngreen; 07-12-2012 at 09:11 PM.
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #17
WOOPOOW!!

My girlfriend and I got the chance to drive some can-am commanders down in panama city beach a week ago and Ive gotta say, when the place closed and the owners let her dad and I take them out of low them things were hauling. They were so smooth, felt like they were on rails, even when getting 10ft of air I know 10ft of air isnt really family oriented, but my girlfriend is a complete wuss when it comes to offroading, but she sure loved riding in these.
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #18
RCC Addict

RZR! Because they can do and go anywhere! Weather it be across a long stretch on field (go high speeds), and be a rock course.
Hydro-Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Be careful if you get a RZR.
Erock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erock View Post
Be careful if you get a RZR.
i hope this was you or someone you know so i can here the story behind that!
but i am also sorry about your luck and hope everyone made it out ok.
crfrider250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rhino or RZR... opinions? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rhino Racer greasypete Chit Chat 15 04-01-2008 10:34 PM
Lunas Rhino greasypete 2.2 Scale Rigs 29 03-17-2008 09:37 PM
Rhino chassis Barillms Chit Chat 21 11-12-2007 02:14 AM
Rhino/autdesk TLTCrawlin Chit Chat 1 09-01-2007 12:40 AM
yamaha rhino MaXX_CrAWlER7 Chit Chat 1 06-03-2007 01:40 PM