Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Bus Driver?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Bus Driver?

I'm looking for more work and a local school bus company is hiring drivers so I may go put in an appliction on Friday. Anybody else done this before? My Mom is freaking out about how bad children are any more (guns, knives, false accusations, ect.) but I'm going to need thenextra.income soon because of things changing at my current job while expenses aren't going down and I'd like to not have to sell my XJ or any of my R/Cs to pay for my 200.

Last edited by BJoe; 03-05-2014 at 10:49 PM.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I wouldn't do it unless there's another worker on the bus to supervise the kids. No way. Kids are rough buddy. And on the bus they don't have much incentive to behave. No respect anymore.
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Bus Driver?

That's what freaks Mom out, seems like this company covers the areas I went to school even though their facilities are about a mile from my current HTU job that is about 20-40 min from home.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:12 PM   #4
RCC Addict

not sure where you live nor the crime rate which you live in, etc...

every job has its hazzards!

Mechanics could be set on fire from a gas tank accident while under the vehicle performing work. The hoist could drop on em, etc...
just a few examples :P

you just need to decide if you think its appropriate for you.

SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:59 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Well, it sounds like they do a lot of work by where I grew up and still live, which ranges from middle class to immigrant (largely Hispanic, we're 1 of two non Hispanic families on my block and among the few I know of in the area) and at least when my Sister and I went to it, the local HS was a wide range from extra low income to very wealthy. It's always possible something very bad could happen, but I've worked retail for 20 years, I'm lucky the worst that has happened that I sometimes (and more and more so recently) come home pretty beat up from the lower back down from spending as much as 40 hours a week at times on my feet..............a sit down job would be nice!
Old 03-06-2014, 12:52 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I have herd there are laws that protect children and that parents can't beat them. Probably this feeling of invincible leads them to misbehaving.

And its very shocking for me to know that being a school bus driver can be hazardous.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:39 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I,ve been involved in school transportation for over 20 yrs as a mech and driver. Yes there are some really dangerous/ mean kids out there. Having said that let me say that the majority of our children in this nation are very good people. They will respond to what they see and hear. All children want love and respect, and will try to find it. I have had bus loads of kids beg me to be their driver, when subbing, because as they say[ our regular driver never speaks to us!!!!] As a bus driver you are the first face in the school system many of these kids see. As a bus driver you will see a reflection of our society in the kids you see, but, if you have a kind heart and a genuine love for the kids you transport you will suceed as a driver. Pay is decent usually, and retirements not bad. The real reward is in watching the kids grow and achieve. Enough preaching, Good luck! Hank
hank the crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:30 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Hank, while working retail I've run into difficult kids (had I done some of the stuff as a kid I've seen, I'd have gotten smacked!), but I've delt with "adults" who are far worse than 99% of the kids over the last 20 years..............especially at Toy's "R" Us' returns desk I never spent a lot of time on a bus as a student until I was a HS Senior, but I can still see what you're talking about, the all around best driver was a woman who drove like a human being instead of a turtle or maniac, actually talked to us, and seemed like a decent all around person..........plus she knew where she was going!

We did have one temp driver go the completely wrong way and had to turn around, which made us a bit late for the class we took
Old 03-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I might be dropping Sprint as a cell carrier and joining my Folks and Sister on their Verizon family plan too. Doing so would knock down my monthly payment by nearly $40/month. I was looking at rhe cheap or free phones so I could make the switch asap (my bill is due in a week), but Dad keeps trying to talk me into waiting a month until then Galaxy S5 drops (currently using an S2 that I've had from the time those came out) and has even offered to cover the cost of the new phone then or even if I went for the S4..........I just hate doing that.

Bus Driver? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Twin Hammer solo driver needs a co-driver Baja Bandido Vaterra Twin Hammers 3 03-24-2013 10:26 PM
Bus driver in Cleveland EeePee Chit Chat 26 10-13-2012 10:24 PM
mip hex driver or drill driver bits with racheting handle 507Eli Tools, and Procedures 2 12-17-2011 05:07 PM