How much oil is there left, really? | Make Wealth History
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #62
Suck it up!

Default Re: Battery maker A123 Systems files for bankruptcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Agreed. We have several guys in our club who currently do, or have in the past worked for some of the oil refineries around here. They say that the penalties issued by the government are almost laughable to the companies....and that they'd pay them in a heartbeat to continue operating the way they do.
Oh I'm sure. There isn't much incentive there.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #63
Rock Crawler

Quote:
yup thats the info i found
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #64
Suck it up!

I always wondered how they could measure how much oil is in the ground.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonclod View Post
yup thats the info i found
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I always wondered how they could measure how much oil is in the ground.
I read how they are skeptical and it certainly does seem to be the case, but I am sure, as exploration increases, so will the estimated reserves amount.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Talk about bunk!

Factories polluted the air and the water and even the land for decades. It wasn't until the government stepped in that they changed course. Even now you'll hear a news bit every so often where a company is in hot water for contaminating something.

Whatever. Established and money'ed firms move production offshore. Leaving mom & pop, family, and small manufacturers to be crushed by domestic regulation.

Quote:
It takes a lot of time and money to sue a corporation. There is a very good chance that you'll run out of patience and money before they do.
That's a business decision that should be made by the individual. If the wrong-doing is pervasive, like you argue below in the shitty car example, then class-action suits and the like help even the playing field.

Quote:
Wall Street ideally should have been left to die by their own hand, but they are intertwined so deeply within not only the national economy but also that of the world. If they had fallen completely, things would have been much, much worse that they were.
Whoa-ho-ho! Tanks in the streets. How muppet of you. You probably "golf-clapped" Hank Paulson's testimony in front of Congress, agreed with McCain "postponing" his campaign, and cheered Obama's vote for TARP. Anyhow, like I said, it would've cleared bad debts, wiped out bondholders and shareholders and new entrants would have entered the market place. Instead now, TBTF has grown 5-15% since the beginning of the financial crisis while many community banks who did not have derivative exposure are getting crushed by new Dodd-Frank regulation. Within 24 months you will see more consolidation in the banking sector, and TBTF will grow another 5-10%.

Quote:
You cannot lump all markets into one. The ones you listed with the most regulation are also those with the biggest impact on health and safety to those that use them.

Make a shitty car or house or get some inadequate medical assistance, someone could die.

Make a shitty end table or tv or mobile electronic device, chances are pretty good that no ones life will end because of it.
Fine. I live outside of Austin. I hear of plenty of bicycle and pedestrian deaths in this fair burg. I think all bicycles and shoes should be subject to strict Federal regulation, including crash testing. Because hey, it is always the mfg.'s fault. Never the consumer.

Quote:
Believe it or not, there are people that have no ethics when it comes to making a profit. They don't care about long or short term effects of their products or services, or you for that matter, they just want your money. Unfortunately there are quite a few of those people that have excelled in the business world and sit among some very powerful and influential people. These are the bulk of the people that complain about regulation. In a truly free market with no regulation, they would knock us down like weeds. Then, when they were done doing that, they would go after each other.
And I guaran-damn-tee you that these same people's lobbyists and lawyers and sitting at the table when the regulations are being written. While "regulation" may have the best intentions, their altruism is completely lost because of the bureaucratic power centers created due to them.

I'm sorry you can't see that. Hope you realize it before a hobby or livelihood of your's is centrally-planned into extinction.

Later,
Jon D.
spankbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankbomb View Post
Fine. I live outside of Austin.
Damn hippy.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Damn hippy.
spankbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #69
Suck it up!

Quote:
Whatever. Established and money'ed firms move production offshore. Leaving mom & pop, family, and small manufacturers to be crushed by domestic regulation.
Yep. Multi-billion dollar corporations move stuff offshore all the time so they can make a better profit and cry like little babies whenever you have a half thought about taxing them another quarter percent.

Yet...there are literally millions of small businesses that plug along just fine. They sell their wares and offer their services, collect their money and pay their taxes. A very high percentage of them turn a pretty good and REASONABLE profit.

Granted, there is some issue with unions pushing overly high wages and full bennies for GED level positions, and that certainly is a factor, but that is no more outrageous than top level executives getting millions of dollars a year to attend meeting and push some paper around.

Quote:
That's a business decision that should be made by the individual. If the wrong-doing is pervasive, like you argue below in the shitty car example, then class-action suits and the like help even the playing field.
Meanwhile, while you're getting your legalities in order, and hoping the lawyers handling the CAL do not take 80% of the amount they are suing for, your water and air are still being polluted, and products are still unsafe.

Quote:
Anyhow, like I said, it would've cleared bad debts, wiped out bondholders and shareholders and new entrants would have entered the market place. Instead now, TBTF has grown 5-15% since the beginning of the financial crisis while many community banks who did not have derivative exposure are getting crushed by new Dodd-Frank regulation. Within 24 months you will see more consolidation in the banking sector, and TBTF will grow another 5-10%.
No, it would have caused a total collapse of our economic system, and those of other countries as well. This recession had effects world wide, not just here.

Quote:
Fine. I live outside of Austin. I hear of plenty of bicycle and pedestrian deaths in this fair burg. I think all bicycles and shoes should be subject to strict Federal regulation, including crash testing. Because hey, it is always the mfg.'s fault. Never the consumer.
I'm not talking about people not using products wisely or how they were intended, I'm talking about design flaws that become lethal under normal use.

Hard to see someone dying as a result of a blown out bladder in the Nike Airs. I can tell you from experience that the worst that can happen is an annoying whistle with every other step.

Quote:
And I guaran-damn-tee you that these same people's lobbyists and lawyers and sitting at the table when the regulations are being written. While "regulation" may have the best intentions, their altruism is completely lost because of the bureaucratic power centers created due to them.
Oh I think we both know for a fact that they were. That is why most regulations suck goat balls, they are corrupted. Like the pollution credit bullshit. That doesn't do anything to lower pollution, it just makes us feel better because we think its costing the polluter money. Which it does, but not nearly enough to come up with a less detrimental way to conduct their business.

Battery maker A123 Systems files for bankruptcy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A123 battery allenvince Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 7 05-17-2010 06:37 PM
A123 battery packs... megacabcummins Electronics 10 05-29-2009 10:48 AM
Spectrum Brands Files For Bankruptcy karlos Chit Chat 7 02-04-2009 08:03 PM
A123 battery lohocla Electronics 5 03-10-2007 07:56 AM
A123 racing lipo battery toyota_yes_please Electronics 9 02-03-2007 10:28 AM