Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Manual trans rant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #1

Default Manual trans rant

I went to ford friday to price a new 350 dually,I knew when they came out with the new diesel motor they didn't offer a manual but figure after a while they might offer one, no dice. I was told the new auto has a manual mode but it's not a manual. It looks like I'm going to have to buy a dodge, or find a good used dually with a manual. I just doesn't seem right to not be able to get a manual behind a diesel. I guess I'm a dying breed, love my handshakers.
70ford390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
Suck it up!

Default Re: Manual trans rant

Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
dkf
Rock Crawler

The 2010 was the last year for the manual in the F-250-F-550.

It is simple. The demand and sales for a manual trans in an F-250-F-550 sized truck is very small. Instead of developing a a new stronger manual transmission to handle the newer higher powered diesels they just decided to discontinue them. You will notice with the Dodge that you get a detuned (compared to the auto version) 6.7l with the manual.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I agree in that I hate pussomatics too. Any truck meant to haul weight should have a 10 speed minimum manual trans. Even semi trucks are going to full auto trannies these days. It's easier to toss some schmuk that can pass the fog test on a cold mirror than to find someone capable to drive and God forbid shift at the same time. Sad times these days.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #5

DKF, I saw that the dodge was detuned and wouldn't mind if ford had done that but no, that was too much for them to do.
70ford390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
MODERATOR™

It's too hard to smoke, hold your coffee and phone and shift and steer at the same time.

Sad to see that the shifting duty was the one that lost out. Apparently it's for our safety.[/sarcasm]
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
RCC Addict

For the 2003 model year, Dodge only sold the auto with the detuned motor. Funny how that's turned around now. Very happy with my 03 Dodge with 6 sp manual.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
It's too hard for uncoordinated mouth breathers to smoke, hold your coffee and phone and shift and steer at the same time so the vehicles are being made smarter needing less external input to combat the overwhelming levels of ****tardedness present in many of today's "drivers".

Sad to see that the shifting duty was the one that lost out. Apparently it's for our safety.[/sarcasm]
Fixed it for you.

Anyone with the attention span of a field mouse with a gut full of d-con should be able to handle multitasking well enough to drive and eat/smoke/drink/talk on the phone etc but the laws/vehicles are being designed around the 5% or so that are lucky to get their Velcro strapped shoes on the correct feet 7 times out of 10. We are protecting the weak so much it has brought down the whole herd. Darwin used to catch the weakest links and remove them from the gene pool, now they are allowed to survive and breed.

The first time I watched idiocracy I laughed. The second time it made me sad because I realized it was a documentary...

Last edited by WHITE-TRASH; 11-11-2012 at 08:25 AM.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Fixed it for you.

Anyone with the attention span of a field mouse with a gut full of d-con should be able to handle multitasking well enough to drive and eat/smoke/drink/talk on the phone etc but the laws/vehicles are being designed around the 5% or so that are lucky to get their Velcro strapped shoes on the correct feet 7 times out of 10. We are protecting the weak so much it has brought down the whole herd. Darwin used to catch the weakest links and remove them from the gene pool, now they are allowed to survive and breed.

The first time I watched idiocracy I laughed. The second time it made me sad because I realized it was a documentary...
Some of the laws protecting stupidity I can agree with, (drink driving, not being on the phone and driving etc etc..) cause those laws are designed to protect me from the stupid.. its when they make laws that protect the stupid from themselves that my gears start to smoke, helmet laws.. seat belt laws..
I dont really see how anyone other than your own life is in danger when you don't wear a seat belt (I always wear the thing, I feel naked without it.)

but yeah back to topic, the only thing that should be automatics are busses and scooters.
I especially hate when they offer a performance model of some sports car but then is only available in automatic. yeah ultimate driving excitement right there with a slushbox whoopdey****indoo
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
Suck it up!

Quote:
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Slave View Post
the only thing that should be automatics are busses and scooters.
So, in one part of your post, you say that you dont like people telling others what to do, but in the second part, you want to tell others what to do?

What does it matter to you what type of transmission is in someone else's car?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
What does it matter to you what type of transmission is in someone else's car?
It doesn't I never said it does, that's you filling in blanks with assumptions.
I want the option for a standard trans when I buy cars and a lot of manufactures only offer trucks in auto only.

as for the bus and scooter thing i don't care go drive a manual bus, but that's an application where the auto trans is better suited.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It doesn't I never said it does, that's you filling in blanks with assumptions.
There are no assumptions to be made with your comment. You said that every vehicle (except busses and scooters) should have a manual transmission. Your attitude is no better than the manufacturers that only offer a model with an automatic trans...
Old 11-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I like my auto in my dodge plus the wife can drive it safely if need be. My new built trans I put in this week is doing nicely
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
There are no assumptions to be made with your comment. You said that every vehicle (except busses and scooters) should have a manual transmission. Your attitude is no better than the manufacturers that only offer a model with an automatic trans...
no i want the option for a manual trans.
you're the one that assumed I want all cars to only come in manual.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
you're the one that assumed I want all cars to only come in manual.
Again, no assumptions to be made from this comment:
"the only thing that should be automatics are busses and scooters"
Old 11-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

No you make your assumptions by reading into it too much.
I have restated my position a number of times and you still cant see past your first initial (wrong) assumption that you made.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Ahh...so you misspoke in your first statement (since it is contradicted by what you say later)....I see.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Fixed it for you.

Cultural Evolution (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

It's my job to teach those velcro strapping kids how to speak English and be a part of our world. I promise the laws aren't being designed to make your life just like theirs.
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Ahh...so you misspoke in your first statement (since it is contradicted by what you say later)....I see.
You must be a registered republican with such a black and white world view.

Manual trans rant - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Manual or automatic Trans? slobin3d Chit Chat 55 12-14-2011 06:12 AM
[Rant] I hate Western Digital [/rant] FrankyRizzo Chit Chat 41 05-03-2007 03:29 PM
rant on. blazed Chit Chat 12 12-14-2006 01:45 PM
Just had to Rant!!!!!!!!!! sean_lv_crawler Chit Chat 27 08-22-2005 12:55 PM