RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/)
-   -   Anyone here played with a MakerBot or Airwolf 3D printer? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/414429-anyone-here-played-makerbot-airwolf-3d-printer.html)

Thorsteenster 11-23-2012 08:19 PM

Anyone here played with a MakerBot or Airwolf 3D printer?

Already thinking of what to spend my tax returns and bonus on this year.
I had been looking at a MkaerBot replicator II, but just came across the Airwolf model.
I like it being it's open, really see what's going on, but being I'm in an enclosed area, maybe it's a little more toxic. Plus though it is a few hundred cheaper than the MakerBot, thus more feasible.
So, anybody tried, familier with, or experience one or the other?

THX_138 11-23-2012 11:57 PM

Re: Anyone here played with a MakerBot or Airwolf 3D printer?

Have ya seen the MBots for about 1/2 the price of the Airwolfs?

Mbot Personal 3d Printer: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I wonder how good they are? Looks like a good entry level machine before ya dump $4K- $5K for a high end rig.

Thorsteenster 11-24-2012 08:57 AM

Hmm, good post. Mbot has another model, Cube, still cheaper but has a 200mm cube working area, bigger than most of the ones I've looked at, and dual heads.
MBot Cube (2-4 weeks) | Mbot 3D Printer Store

motomoto 11-24-2012 09:11 AM

I'm in the midst of 3D printer research for the design firm I work for. For the best bang for your buck for good resolution, Form Labs is the way to go. Unfortunately, they haven't come to market yet and they're being sued by 3D Systems over patent dispute.

We're actually looking at the more hi-res professional printers and 3D Systems Projet 3500 is truly awesome. The parts come out nearly perfect.

Thorsteenster 11-24-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motomoto (Post 4029749)
I'm in the midst of 3D printer research for the design firm I work for. For the best bang for your buck for good resolution, Form Labs is the way to go. Unfortunately, they haven't come to market yet and they're being sued by 3D Systems over patent dispute.

We're actually looking at the more hi-res professional printers and 3D Systems Projet 3500 is truly awesome. The parts come out nearly perfect.

Um, so how exactly are they the way to go when they haven't made it to market and already being sued?
:roll:

I'm looking at something in the $1k range, I'm gonna take a stab and say none of the ones you mention are in that range.
But 3D Systems actually make a cube model too
Cube 3D Printer | A home 3D printer to turn your ideas into real objects with a bigger workspace then Mbot, but looks like you have to use their cartridges vs spools of material.
They've actually been around a few years, I remember when I first heard about 3D printing, they had a desktop model for $3K'ish about 6 years ago