Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: A question for all of the ex-jar heads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default A question for all of the ex-jar heads

Have any of you ever gone back to Parris Island for a visit? I had the unique opportunity while visiting my brother for Thanksgiving. His wife is a nurse stationed at the MCAS in Beuford, S.C. We headed over on Friday to Parris Island to hit the exchange ( they are called MCX now, I remembered them being a PX)

So I took the time and walked by the parade deck, then struggled to remember which barracks I was in, I'm pretty sure that I found it. There were no recruits around at the time, so I walked around the back of the building and looked for the sand pit, they have been moved to a more visual place next to the main road. Hmmmm, I guess some boots won't be able to learn certain 'reindeer games'

I spent a bit of time in the Marine Corps History Museum, I never got to see it during boot camp. There's some incredible war artifacts to be seen including weapons from the enemies from every conflict the Corps has been involved in.

There is a very nice addition for the vets of the current Wars, which I was glad to see. I found a nice sized monument for the Gulf War Vets ( Desert Shield/Storm) which I'm a member of. I just stood there frozen, looking at some of the gear I used, and had forgotten about. It was like going back into time, ..kinda eerie in a way.

I was able to walk out to the parade deck w/ my brother, sister-in-law and 6 year old niece. I got a few pics of the Iwo Jima memorial with the names of the 5 Marines and 1 Corpsman that raised the flag.

I had the pleasure of watching a recruit invoke the wrath of all 3 of his D.I's, I was almost pissing my pants laughing ( quietly) to myself. My sister in law couldn't understand why they were yelling so loud and my brother was saying how the instructors never yelled like that during his Navy boot camp.

It really hit me , when we were leaving, as to how much time has slipped by, in my mind I feel like the whole experience was just a few years ago- the reality is that it happened 26 years ago.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: A question for all of the ex-jar heads

Ya, the time flies by when you get out. What gets me is how much the gear has changed. They don't even have to shine their boots or iron their cammies anymore.

This always makes me laugh.
Drill Instructor Ambush - YouTube
rangair94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
His wife is a nurse stationed at the MCAS in Beuford, S.C.
Beaufort

I was so happy to leave the island, that I swore I would never go back. Guess where I got stationed...Beautiful Beaufort by the sea, about 7 miles away

My platoon was split almost 50/50 with airwingers and grunts. When I got to Beaufort, a buddy from bootcamp and I took a drive over. We saw one of our drill instructors outside the mess hall, and he recognized us. He invited us in and we sat down with him on "the other" side. This was about a year after we got out of boot, so it was kind of trippy to have lunch with him.

I haven't been back in recent years, but it would probably be fun to check it out again.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I was in from 94 to 99. I didn't mind PI. In fact I thought it was actually really nice there. (the island not bootcamp). I went through the middle of summer. June through Sept! I never went back though.
Bukwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
Gold Star Baby Momma!

In for the first to say mucho thanks for what you have done for our country! I will never be able to express my appreciation for guys like you.
Tuffguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:00 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Beaufort

I was so happy to leave the island, that I swore I would never go back. Guess where I got stationed...Beautiful Beaufort by the sea, about 7 miles away

My platoon was split almost 50/50 with airwingers and grunts. When I got to Beaufort, a buddy from bootcamp and I took a drive over. We saw one of our drill instructors outside the mess hall, and he recognized us. He invited us in and we sat down with him on "the other" side. This was about a year after we got out of boot, so it was kind of trippy to have lunch with him.

I haven't been back in recent years, but it would probably be fun to check it out again.
Beaufort! I liked the downtown area, it was peaceful and quiet. I was with you, when I left the island I had no desire to ever look at the place, but I'm glad I went back. It was strange to see some of the new gear staged by the parade deck, no more A.L.I.C.E. packs, everything looked like modern hiking gear.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:02 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffguy View Post
In for the first to say mucho thanks for what you have done for our country! I will never be able to express my appreciation for guys like you.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Hmm, not sure when your BIL went to Navy Bootcamp, but I surely remember have a couple Red Ropers (Navy for D.I.) in my face busting my ear drums. I had the pleasure of going back a few times and serving as a Company Commander in the advanced training areas before the Navy became PC and did I away with most Military training after Bootcamp.

The Marine Corps is the only service that still deserves to call their Basic Training Bootcamp. The rest are *****s.
neillarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Well I joined back in march 2006 and am still active duty on my second enlistment. I have not made the trip back to PI but I do plan to do so at some point. Fortunatly I could nvr forget which squad bay I was in let alone what bunk I slept in.

Yes even in 6 1/2 yrs ive been in the gear has changed a lot. I just turned all my gear so I can pcs and all of it was out dated and they didnt care that I was missing quite a lot of it. I will say the new gasmasks are quite nice.

Semper fi
Sgt Rake
kaneohecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

A question for all of the ex-jar heads - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Use for a Mason Jar Lid!! SeanD Tires and Wheels 61 03-30-2011 09:11 PM
Are u shi!!#%& me paypal? Get ur hand hand outta my cookie jar!!! KNIFE Chit Chat 96 06-05-2010 06:42 PM
Swear Jar! paystin Chit Chat 0 10-27-2009 10:35 PM
Swear jar slugzracing Chit Chat 9 11-17-2007 06:29 AM